Teddy Roosevelt has lost some weight now (pictures)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Haig, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Loaf Warden

Loaf Warden (no party affiliation)

Excellent. I greatly disliked the original version of TR, not because of the art style (which I don't object to), but because TR was the wrong person to depict as obese. Theodore Roosevelt lived a highly active lifestyle--he called it "The Strenuous Life"--and regularly exercised and participated in numerous sports, up to and including boxing, rowing, and frickin' judo. This was not a fellow who sat on his rump eating cakes and cookies.

2. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Emperor

Also, Victoria is one of England's very first monarchs that is in fact a Lizard in a human suit, so i hope they update this accordingly to show the zipper

3. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Looks like they may be toning down the cartoonishness of the Civ leaders. That's good IMHO. I'm fine with some humor, but it shouldn't be grossly distracting.

4. johnnybaseball

johnnybaseball Chieftain

Big improvement, IMO. I like the new model a lot.

5. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

He's a little on the short side, imo.

His stubby arms as well as his sash give him the illusion of giving him a waistline closer to his chest.

6. AvantInvader

AvantInvader Chieftain

Indeed. I find it disgusting they are trying to censor history and delizardize her, just because it's not seen as PC to be a lizard in a human suit these days....

7. labellavienna

labellavienna Warlord

He looks more accurate now, he was obscenely obese before.

8. Reboot

Reboot Privateer

Qin looks too much like a caricature of a scheming Chinese merchant.

The First Emperor is a martial warlord who commanded the respect of his elite soldiers. His countenance should be take of a scholar-warrior.
    - His robes should be blacker and decorated with crimson. This is from Wikipedia and I'd say most Chinese would think him as such - stately, upright, with a hint of height:

- His girth is the result of the layers of cloth he wears (not unlike maiko in Kyoto wearing the traditional full-garb kimono). The one in Civ VI looks like he earned it over the dinner table. It's very different.

- Face shape is also a bit too deformed/caricatured.

- The buckle feels a bit too gaudy. People of his era are often seen with only cloth belts without buckles. Lose those flicked-up shoulders and maybe we might get something better. Traditionally Chinese robes do not have those flicked-up shoulders - they look exaggerated without good reason to be there. Those extremely wide sleeves, on the other hand, existed for effect and Firaxis shouldn't have made them conventional-sized.

- The Qin word at the front of his robes should be written in the proper style of his times. (Small Seal Script), which would be the top-left character in this picture:

The one in Civ VI is written poorly even by modern standards, probably because it's not written by someone used to writing Chinese script. It looks decidedly haphazard.

- In any case a Chinese emperor will not wear those words on his clothes. As emperor his robes will have Dragons (not his buckle). 'Dragon robes' are a cultural artefact of Chinese history - they are the sign of the right of imperial rule.

- There are also too few strands of beads for his hat, and those strands are too short. Overall it looked too comical - like someone wearing a hat that's too small.

9. zwei833

zwei833 HRE Mercenary

Which T.Roosevelt is better? The left one or the right one?

10. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Huh, didn't expect this but I really like the change. Roosevelt and Hojo are my two favourites now, followed by Catherine de Medici. They really sit in that sweet spot, looking stylised without looking comical - and look like actual rulers you can take serious without being "realistic" like the Civ5/BE models.

11. von_Wurttemburg

von_Wurttemburg Chieftain

Obviously the leftt one, which is more stylize.

12. SMcM

SMcM Emperor

Yes! That is great, much better.

13. JtW

JtW Prince

I hope they make Pedro less hideous, too.

14. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Pedro does seem far cartoonier than I was expecting.

I agree that Hojo and Roosevelt are now the best looking leaders--a blend of realistic and cartoony (though I still object to Hojo's handsomeness in-game since he wasn't that handsome at all in real life, and more closely resembled a chubby monk).

15. Depravo

Depravo Siring Bastards

In Civ 6, judo will be required to produce bagels.

16. Mudrac

Mudrac Orc Warchief

He doesn't look like a Teddy bear anymore at least.

17. Zaarin

Zaarin Diplomatic Attaché to Londo Mollari

You mean old Isosceles Triangle Face? I find Catherine's appearance extremely alien and unsettling; I personally think her model is the worst of the lot. :sad:

18. Gambito

Gambito Chieftain

For me she's perfect. She looks so manipulative and backstabber. Goes with her trait.

19. darko82

darko82 Emperor

If this is real, this is REALLY GOOD news. I hope this is real.

20. JimmyBanks

JimmyBanks Warlord

I prefer the left one. But that's just me.