Teen Birth Rates

Wow, Im genuinely surprised by these statistics......and Im serious to. I didnt know they were that hi:eek:
Indeed. It's a lot if you stop to think about it. 50 in 1000 pregnancies corresponds to 1 in 20 girls... and it's higher than that in most of the southern states. That's (on average) one girl per class in high school! :eek:

I wonder what the rate is here in New Zealand. Personally, I can only recall two friends who had teenage pregnancies... both were 19, one of them was married, and the other one wasn't really accidental. So I've never actually known anyone myself who'd fit the more usual definition of "teenage pregnancy". (Which I think of as ages 13-17 or so, where it's accidental - it doesn't really count so much if it's planned, at least in my mind.)

Mind you, I guess that there's a bit of bias in there, given that I've lead a bit of a sheltered life. Many of my friends are academically orientated (like myself), and it's statistically true that higher education does tend to tie with lower rates of "accidents". ;)

That's so wasteful! There are people starving in Africa who would love to eat those babies.
That's so disgusting it made me snort out with laughter... :lol:

Instilling family values early on?

This is true in so many things. The ones who talk about things like "family values" the most have the least of those family values. That's why Republican areas of the south have the highest divorce rates, the highest teen pregnancy rates, the highest out of wedlock births, the highest STD rates, and the highest... well just about everything that's bad. In short, not only do they suck but they're also filthy hypocrites about it.

Aug's, I would still argue that it's primarily minorities. If you eliminate Hispanics and Blacks from the equation, you're gonna get a pretty similar picture across America. Maybe slight variations.

Still a whole lot of awfully white states with higher pregnancy rates (Kansas, West Virgina, Alaska, Wyoming) than states with higher minority populations (Ohio, Michigan, etc). Thats pregnancy rates, not abortions.

Is there anybody at all who is willing to blame this on too-sexy teens?

You got me on the age requirements! OOops

18 and 19 year old prostitutes alone would not skew it much.

Well, no, it's that I doubt most of the pregnancies are happening in the brothels. Legal brothel whores are older, yeah, but they're also pretty much guaranteed to be using some kind of contraception. It would be ******ed not to. What people don't pay attention to is that there is still plenty of illegal prostitution in Nevada, which is where you'll find the teenagers and the women without the means to access contraception. Young streetwalkers around the strip could definitely account for a lot of pregnancy.

^There are no sexy people in West Virgina.

Ain't it the truth. :shake:

This is true in so many things. The ones who talk about things like "family values" the most have the least of those family values. That's why Republican areas of the south have the highest divorce rates, the highest teen pregnancy rates, the highest out of wedlock births, the highest STD rates, and the highest... well just about everything that's bad. In short, not only do they suck but they're also filthy hypocrites about it. - Oerdin

Republicans control 49 of the 50 [congressional] districts with the highest rates of married people.

And -- wait -- phone call. I gotta scoot over to another lab. I'll finish proving you totally wrong in a little bit.

I think trying to cast this in a partisan matter is wrongheaded. This isn't a Republican or a Democrat thing.

I think trying to cast this in a partisan matter is wrongheaded. This isn't a Republican or a Democrat thing.

I know. It's a family values thing. Of course there are people in conservativeland that are hypocrites and don't uphold thier outwardly professed values, but in general, come on, let's get real here.

Who's more predisposed to start screwing early?
Who's more predisposed to do drugs?
What side of the aisle coddles convicts for drugs?

And as if there isn't a correlation between teen pregnancy rates, divorce, bad family values and poverty. And is if there isn't a correlation between between the political affiliation of people on public assistance and the Democratic party?

I remember high school quite well. The religious kids weren't the ones getting knocked up, doing drugs, and putting up with divorce. I don't EVER remember any females getting knocked up in my church before they turned 20. Nor do I think any of them did drugs. And my church was almost completely devoid of divorce.

The idea that strongly religious people really don't have family values is just...really dumb. Especially when you compare them to hispanics and poor African Americans that dominate such such statistics.

It's probably easier there than in surrounding states. I bet that explains a lot of the differences between states. In a lot of states it's still quite difficult to get an abortion, it's either expensive or administered by actively anti-abortion organisations or there's not many places to go.

What happens in Vegas does indeed stay in Vegas, it would appear.

That's so disgusting it made me snort out with laughter... :lol:

Why? I mean... given that you've already killed a baby, it almost seems worse not to eat it... especially when the meat is so deliciously tender. Mmmm.... ;)

The idea that strongly religious people really don't have family values is just...really dumb. Especially when you compare them to hispanics and poor African Americans that dominate such such statistics.

That idea is dumb...I don't think the data supports it...but I think that certain religious values aren't working so well.

Utah and Idaho are both very strongly Mormon states, and neither state is exceptionally wealthy. They have some of the lowest teen pregnancy rates and abortion rates in the country. I don't know what the data is as far as other religious groups and teen pregnancy (I'm sure its out somewhere), but I surmise that other groups do fairly well.

But the evangelical protestantism dominates the cultural and political scene in the southern US in a way that no other sect does in this country, and thats where I think some of these failings are. Girls in Misissippi might be having less sex per capita than girls in New York, but if the girls in MS don't understand how to have safe sex...well, you only have to screw up once. I don't know what the Mormons are doing better than the Southern Baptists. Sounds like it could be a useful study.

I think there are too many outliers to make this a racial thing. Too many awfully white states having problems.

Aren't Hispanics and African Americans pretty religious?

Top Bottom