Texas GOP

Let's beat them to the punch and kick Texas out of the Union. Close all the military bases and all other federal installations, including NASA and the National Weather Service. Lay off all employees of the federal government. And tell the people who are getting benefits through the VA, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid they need to petition their state legislature to take over those responsibilities. Also, reasonable tariffs on Texas exports to the US and cancel all federal research grants going to Texas.
You forgot to require visas and vaccinations for all those leaving TX to enter the US by plane, car, train or on foot. And, close off all interstate highway entrances from TX that don't have a customs and border control checkpoint. If we are going to do it, do it right!

Honestly, if you’re on the left, wouldn’t you want Texas to secede? It’d completely shift the political balance of power; both the Republicans and Democrats would quickly lurch leftward to gain greater competitiveness.

Republican EC strategy really needs Texas to be successful. Without it, they’d have to move left to compete more reliably in the Minnesota’s and Michigan’s of the country.

Do you need to live in a United States residence to claim your Social Security check?

No. in truth, it's hard to avoid. Like a college alumni association, they will track you down and send/demand money.

That seems to be one source of USD income that would follow secession, then.
If my Hong Kong retiree acquaintances can move to Taiwan and have their pensions follow them there, then I'd imagine that it's a contract few countries are willing to violate due to ongoing diplomatic tensions.

Do you need to live in a United States residence to claim your Social Security check?
I'm on SS and could move out of the US and still get my full benefits. SS just needs a bank to deposit my checks in.

That seems to be one source of USD income that would follow secession, then.
If my Hong Kong retiree acquaintances can move to Taiwan and have their pensions follow them there, then I'd imagine that it's a contract few countries are willing to violate due to ongoing diplomatic tensions.
If TX were to secede, than we should strip them of citizenship and the benefits thereof.

If TX were to secede, than we should strip them of citizenship and the benefits thereof.

AFAICT, you keep your SS payments if you renounce your citizenship. This is an obligation, "full faith and credit" kinda stuff. I would definitely agree with things like ending federal funding of stuff and negotiating payments for any federal equipment/property that cannot be taken out efficiently, but not so sure how to end public obligations to individual people. Like I said, I know of retirees that took their pensions from Hong Kong to Taiwan (though, while fact-checking, I realize that this conversation is over a year old). So, whatever our intuitions about punishing traitors, there appear to be some precedents already.

It would be an interesting mess if pensions were cut off. Old people in Texas would suddenly become a burden rather than a source of USD. OTOH, if they left Texas to move back to the USA, the Texans would lose a burden as well as get their assets at fire-sale prices. The far-right likes to trim out unproductive people.

AFAICT, you keep your SS payments if you renounce your citizenship. This is an obligation, "full faith and credit" kinda stuff. I would definitely agree with things like ending federal funding of stuff and negotiating payments for any federal equipment/property that cannot be taken out efficiently, but not so sure how to end public obligations to individual people. Like I said, I know of retirees that took their pensions from Hong Kong to Taiwan (though, while fact-checking, I realize that this conversation is over a year old). So, whatever our intuitions about punishing traitors, there appear to be some precedents already.

It would be an interesting mess if pensions were cut off. Old people in Texas would suddenly become a burden rather than a source of USD. OTOH, if they left Texas to move back to the USA, the Texans would lose a burden as well as get their assets at fire-sale prices. The far-right likes to trim out unproductive people.
If TX left and such a move was declared treasonous, then there might well be a case to terminate SS. The goal should be to punish a state that leaves the union. Money and borders is a good way to do that. Citizens in the new TX would lose any standing in US courts. Turn TX into East Berlin. :lol:

If TX left and such a move was declared treasonous, then there might well be a case to terminate SS. The goal should be to punish a state that leaves the union. Money and borders is a good way to do that. Citizens in the new TX would lose any standing in US courts. Turn TX into East Berlin. :lol:

The precedent would be occupation with federal troops.

The precedent would be occupation with federal troops.
Yes, but only if you want to keep them. In my imagination, I envision cutting them loose. Hopefully they would attract half the populations of FL, OK, MO and more. :)

Mostly they're attracting Californians.

BTW, the TX GOP platform insists that SS be privatized.

It's not like it's attracting me.

Which should worry us that something is rotten in the state of DeCA.

It matters who is moving from CA to TX. If it is young tech workers, then it will help turn TX blue. If it is retired rural folks, then that is different. NM was invaded by Californians in the 90s and most of the impact was to push the cost of housing way up. The house price differential between NM and CA was so great that that everything in NM seemed exceedingly cheap so they paid premiums to close the deals.

No shortage on the list of things rotten in CA. It is still the most important state in the union for all sort of reasons both natural and social.

I see little chance of TX actually doing this, but I also see a political party that is already reckless beyond what I imagined possible ten years ago becoming increasingly reckless. We mix in water shortages that are coming on now and viola the unimaginable becomes real real fast.

Kick the out of the NFL, that will stop this nonsense. lol

Hah!

Point to Este.

Top Bottom