Texas Judge Strikes Down Obama’s Affordable Care Act as Unconstitutional

It's perfectly okay to charge people an arm and a leg to save their other arm, as long as some people get a tax cut and we get a wall to keep those smelly immigrants* out. Except it's really not a tax cut since it just gets put elsewhere like tariffs and stuff.

*Illegal Immigrants, but in reality they actually don't care about the difference.

That is what the GOP stands for.

Just anticipating your next question a bit (we've had so many discussions afterall), while it is true that the insurance industry does employ some residents of the great State of Connecticut, I'm skeptical that the last minute decision to sabotage the ACA, after having advocated for it including the public option, was made because he was concerned about the jobs of all us poor downtrodden insurance lawyers

True. Saving jobs likely was not his primary concern. That does not, however, change the fact that he did save those jobs.

As for the public opinion supporting a public option thing: Public opinion is a pretty poor way to judge what is in a particular community's interests since people tend to vote for what they want, not necessarily what they need.

since people tend to vote for what they want, not necessarily what they need.

That's exactly why Donald Trump got elected. He's a recent, American poster-boy of that.

True. Saving jobs likely was not his primary concern. That does not, however, change the fact that he did save those jobs.

As for the public opinion supporting a public option thing: Public opinion is a pretty poor way to judge what is in a particular community's interests since people tend to vote for what they want, not necessarily what they need.

Yea you are right master commodore we need someone to tell us what is in our interests. . .

Back to the story at hand. . .

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...hallenging-obamacare-have-no-standing/578332/

The legal leaping this court did to give the plaintiffs standing in this case borders on the absurd.

That's exactly why Donald Trump got elected. He's a recent, American poster-boy of that.
If you had said Obama, I would have had no trouble agreeing. I am mystified as to what people may have wanted when they voted for Trump.

Yea you are right master commodore we need someone to tell us what is in our interests. . .

Back to the story at hand. . . https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...hallenging-obamacare-have-no-standing/578332/ The legal leaping this court did to give the plaintiffs standing in this case borders on the absurd.
I take it you are applying for the job. Good luck with that.

Legal reasoning is often tortuous (though hopefully not tortious). The same can be said of several landmark cases. The true test is in the appeal.

J

we need someone to tell us what is in our interests. . .

Well...yeah we kinda do. Most people have no sense of the "bigger picture" and can't see how what looks like a good deal today can turn around and turn into a nightmare tomorrow. Health insurance employees supporting the idea of universal healthcare is a prime example of that. Sure, universal healthcare is great, but how much are those insurance employees going to love it once they realize they just voted themselves out of a job and now can't feed their families? So they need someone who can see that to make the decision to tank any attempt at a universal healthcare system in the US.

Access to firearms being one good example, according to some folks , I'd wager;)

Joking aside... As I've said, he can be scummy and be acting in the interest of his constituent groups at the same time, certainly. That does not however, change the fact that he's being scummy.

Well...yeah we kinda do. Most people have no sense of the "bigger picture" and can't see how what looks like a good deal today can turn around and turn into a nightmare tomorrow. Health insurance employees supporting the idea of universal healthcare is a prime example of that. Sure, universal healthcare is great, but how much are those insurance employees going to love it once they realize they just voted themselves out of a job and now can't feed their families? So they need someone who can see that to make the decision to tank any attempt at a universal healthcare system in the US.

Yea well I certainly don't consider access to reasonable healthcare without certain bankruptcy being an issue where people aren't getting the bigger picture. While I understand the budgeting issues, private medicine has done nothing to limit increases in healthcare costs. Clearly.

You're not trying to look out for people's interests here, you're trying to redefine them based on your own priorities. People may very well believe they would be able to find other work. Or, they simply like the idea of a country with universal health coverage more than they fret about the prospect of losing their job.

It's not your place to tell people what is "better" for them. They are much better equipped to figure out their interests for themselves than you are.

People in the healthcare sector who are competent at jobs that actually add value don't need to fear losing their jobs. They can go to work for the public healthcare system.

Yeah, that too. The only people who stand to lose are the parasites who extract profits from the health care system, in exchange for making it dysfunctional.

Health insurance employees supporting the idea of universal healthcare is a prime example of that. Sure, universal healthcare is great, but how much are those insurance employees going to love it once they realize they just voted themselves out of a job and now can't feed their families?

One would think every family in America suddenly not having to spend heaps of money on private insurance just to live would significantly stimulate economic activity wherever else they decide to spend that money. Those resources reallocate, they don't just disappear into the ether. Aggregate demand... rolls on.

People in the healthcare sector who are competent at jobs that actually add value don't need to fear losing their jobs. They can go to work for the public healthcare system.

What jobs in healthcare add value? The whole thing always struck me as a scam. "I'll make you live longer" is the most impossible to prove product claim ever made.

What jobs in healthcare add value? The whole thing always struck me as a scam. "I'll make you live longer" is the most impossible to prove product claim ever made.

Have you watched "Jupiter Ascending?" It becomes the ONLY thing of true value to shell out for at THAT technology level...

Have you watched "Jupiter Ascending?" It becomes the ONLY thing of true value to shell out for at THAT technology level...

If you can guarantee I won't get hit by a bus I'll gladly pay you a hamburger the second Tuesday of next week.

It wasn't necessary to court any republican votes to get the legislation through, obviously.

I see. View it less as monolithic power blocks and more like a series of alliances between cohorts. Split each party into 3 components: 'reasonable', 'corrupt', and 'wingnut'. The 'reasonable' Democrats didn't have the votes to get a reasonable ACA through, and so they either had to let the ongoing system stand or reach out to provide some type of alternative. The 'reasonable' Republicans were not available to pass any reasonable ACA. The wingnut Republicans weren't available (obviously) and so the reasonable Democrats had to compromise with corrupt Democrats to pass the current ACA. Corrupt Republicans were fine with it, obvs, since they were the same ones that allowed Bush's Medicare D travesty to pass.

The number of Republicans who knew that a public option was vastly preferable to the current bribe-fest would have greatly outnumbered the number of Democrats who insisted on the current bribe-fest. Reasonable outnumbered corrupt. But they were whipped by the Tea Party component of the base.

There weren't enough votes to get a good ACA through, even though every centrist and their dog knew that a public option was the way to go. The reason why there weren't enough votes was because the Republican component of that base didn't want to have the conversation.

Why do you think so many self-identifying Republicans currently realize that a public option was preferable, but this discussion wasn't in the party ten years ago? Because the wingnuts were in charge, that's why.

I see. View it less as monolithic power blocks and more like a series of alliances between cohorts. Split each party into 3 components: 'reasonable', 'corrupt', and 'wingnut'. The 'reasonable' Democrats didn't have the votes to get a reasonable ACA through, and so they either had to let the ongoing system stand or reach out to provide some type of alternative. The 'reasonable' Republicans were not available to pass any reasonable ACA. The wingnut Republicans weren't available (obviously) and so the reasonable Democrats had to compromise with corrupt Democrats to pass the current ACA. Corrupt Republicans were fine with it, obvs, since they were the same ones that allowed Bush's Medicare D travesty to pass.

The number of Republicans who knew that a public option was vastly preferable to the current bribe-fest would have greatly outnumbered the number of Democrats who insisted on the current bribe-fest. Reasonable outnumbered corrupt. But they were whipped by the Tea Party component of the base.

There weren't enough votes to get a good ACA through, even though every centrist and their dog knew that a public option was the way to go. The reason why there weren't enough votes was because the Republican component of that base didn't want to have the conversation.

Why do you think so many self-identifying Republicans currently realize that a public option was preferable, but this discussion wasn't in the party ten years ago? Because the wingnuts were in charge, that's why.

This seems like a really good time to point out that the problem of having the wingnut branch take over the GOP is not best solved by having the wingnut branch of the Democratic party take control of it.

This seems like a really good time to point out that the problem of having the wingnut branch take over the GOP is not best solved by having the wingnut branch of the Democratic party take control of it.

But Marxism! And intersectional feminism! And the evil global capitalist white supremacist illuminati jew cabal!

Funny how the two extremes are so alike yet so different.

I see. View it less as monolithic power blocks and more like a series of alliances between cohorts. Split each party into 3 components: 'reasonable', 'corrupt', and 'wingnut'. The 'reasonable' Democrats didn't have the votes to get a reasonable ACA through, and so they either had to let the ongoing system stand or reach out to provide some type of alternative.

Looks like the problem is that you have too many corrupt democrats.

Top Bottom