"That unit looks like crap." The complaint forum.

When did that happen? Patch L they still look like the hair follicle thin alien women, for me. I would like them changed somehow eventually. Nothing else graphics wise bothers me though.

Oh sh*... I was wrong, they are still here :).
I just replaced them for myself and it stayed from previous verisons (The model I use is just a recolor of another guy's model but they are still better, look in Malakim+ thread).

Id have to say the many of the beserkers just suck. Some are fine, but most suck. IMO they should be one man thats pretty large rather than three tiny midgets when you have single unit graphics checked off. Doviello ones look awesome, and I think they should make a UU for them because it fits nicely with them using bodies as weapons.

Don't be too harsh to the team...

Kudos for the mod, Im constantly floored by it.
-
Absolute nitpick but I find it anticlimatic that the top of the line melee unit is the phalanx.

Learn to harvest mythical mithril, only then you can line yourself in a phalanx apparently.

For everyone who has played the civ series since Civ1, phalanx are a very, very low tier unit, usually the second unit you made back in the day after the warrior. Upgrading from mighty champions to phalanx is very wrong in my eyes.

Also, a smaller point but bugs me as well, its a national unit so you can only have so many yet the very definition of a phalanx is alot of guys, not excelling in their own right but protecting each other.

I found this odd, too. Seems like Champion should be the name for the top tier

maybe Grand Champion or somesuch. But phalanx doesn't seem right for an ultimate unit.

Don't be too harsh to the team...

Dont worry ;)
all the complaints are about placeholders :D
nothing of my work got mentioned ;)

We will likely take care of all this, if time permits.
So, continue complaining, can´t do harm.

And Phalanx isnt to be taken literally, it is just symbolically for a very strong defender, think of "300"

For all religions, the mid level priest and high priest look exactly the same. Unlike most other complaints which are merely eye (or ear) sores, this actually affects gameplay.

Elohim. The units they have custom graphics for, no complaints. But that's a pretty small number. The rambo-wannabe axeman is the biggest thing I'd like to see monk-ized.
I'm also curious whether the final art direction is going to go east (Shaolin monks), west (Christian monks), somewhere in between, or somewhere completely different.

I think the fact that they even have axemen instead of swordsmen is odd.

I'm guessing the final version will involve a polearm of some sort, to go with the staff theme.
If you think about it, axes are a lot more monkish than swords; an axe can be used as a peace-time tool to chop trees and such. Swords are purely for war. So it might also end up being monks with woodcutter's axes turned, unwillingly, to combat.
(Personally, I'd prefer the polearm approach myself. Polearms are awesome.)

haha Sezereth im pretty sure that your units are the last thing that would be mentioned in a thread like this. hell your models for the 4 horsemen is one of the main reasons i decided to download this mod.

Basically whenever someone posts a complaint here, what they are secretly trying to say is "I hope sezereth agrees with me and decides to make an awesome model for this unit, like the radiant guard"

So how about that Govanan? Pretty please? :D

haha Sezereth im pretty sure that your units are the last thing that would be mentioned in a thread like this. hell your models for the 4 horsemen is one of the main reasons i decided to download this mod.

Basically whenever someone posts a complaint here, what they are secretly trying to say is "I hope sezereth agrees with me and decides to make an awesome model for this unit, like the radiant guard"

So how about that Govanan? Pretty please? :D

Thanks man :D

yea, right now i am finishing off the remaining priority dwarf units (finished settlers... redo warrior, slinger and druid) and then svartalfar. and after that... well, lets see what i feel like, but Elohim is a pretty good guess, next to some hero units. But... the timeframe we are talking about is very loose, i can´t tell how much time i´ll have for gfx in the future.

While I know seZereth and the team have tough skin and are gracious (as show in seZereth's responses), could I ask the OP to perhaps reflect on the tone of the original post?

Rather a "This unit looks like crap" complain thread, how about a "Unit graphic suggestion thread"?

For example:

1. "This unit looks like crap and needs to be replaced with something decent".

-or-

2. "The art for this model didn't appeal to me, here would be my suggestions"

IMO, one comes across in a less inflammatory way than the other.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, but something just rubs me the wrong way about "complaining" about free, volunteered work being "crap".

Elohim. The units they have custom graphics for, no complaints. But that's a pretty small number. The rambo-wannabe axeman is the biggest thing I'd like to see monk-ized.
I'm also curious whether the final art direction is going to go east (Shaolin monks), west (Christian monks), somewhere in between, or somewhere completely different.

Now I am really hoping for the Elohim to go the Shaolin monk way...

Well, for complains about Govannon, his art used to be the Amurite Archmage art, but they switched a few Versions back, for some reasion.
Actually, I can't remeber if Amurite Archmage art has changed. If it has, then Govannon had black and grey robes, a hood, a staff, and wasn't fat in the slightest. Lokked alnost Christian monk/friar esk.

While I know seZereth and the team have tough skin and are gracious (as show in seZereth's responses), could I ask the OP to perhaps reflect on the tone of the original post?

Rather a "This unit looks like crap" complain thread, how about a "Unit graphic suggestion thread"?

For example:

1. "This unit looks like crap and needs to be replaced with something decent".

-or-

2. "The art for this model didn't appeal to me, here would be my suggestions"

IMO, one comes across in a less inflammatory way than the other.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, but something just rubs me the wrong way about "complaining" about free, volunteered work being "crap".

I think it was kind of tongue in cheek. ;)

I have a small issue with the Nyxkin unit. It looks okay overall, except for the front legs of the mount - they bend forward in a place where a real cat's legs would bend backward. Compare the unit model to the Tiger and Lion models and you'll see what I mean. I don't know how hard it would be to fix this, but I just wanted to point it out. It looks really weird to me.

Much better comment

I'm guessing the final version will involve a polearm of some sort, to go with the staff theme.
If you think about it, axes are a lot more monkish than swords; an axe can be used as a peace-time tool to chop trees and such. Swords are purely for war. So it might also end up being monks with woodcutter's axes turned, unwillingly, to combat.
(Personally, I'd prefer the polearm approach myself. Polearms are awesome.)

For elohim, I think they should avoid blades entirely, and have blunt weapons. Medieval priests on the battlefields used to use maces, as they were forbidden from shedding blood. Kind of like a loophole.

As to art direction, I think mostly western suits the Elohim more. Considering Einion Logos is essentially Gandalf (Lord of the Rings, Western fantasy), and they have a city named Cahir Abbey (an abbey is a large christian church)

Please, please, reduce just a tad the size of these models on the screen so we can see what we are supposed to see without having to go through a mouse gymnastics session.

Thank you.

I agree, especially dragons

Do you mean the size is to big like this?:p
Civ4ScreenShot0111.JPGCiv4ScreenShot0113.JPG

Top Bottom