1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The 2011 Civ 4 S&T Awards

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Stories & Tales' started by MoreEpicThanYou, Dec 28, 2011.

1. MaxWar

MaxWar Chieftain

Woohoo! RandomLand ftw :) Im currently writing the next episode, as in this very moment, so stay tuned, its for tonight ;)

2. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

Not in round 2 (For babylon)

3. Yoshiegg737

Yoshiegg737 Jungo Jungo

Comedy
    RandomLand (MaxWar)

Narrative
    The Celestial Bureaucracy (Tomorrow's Dawn)

Best History Book
    An Iberian Love Story (Alexius08)

So many good stories, but I ended up choosing that list from very small reasons to stand above whatever I found to be second place. Like the memory of everyone's excitement when CB first came out, when a group of readers tried to get it more views, or the fact that Iberian Love Story is played with Portugal, or the fact that I had once told MaxWar to come to S&T long, long, ago and how I'd actually slowly stopped reading new stories until RandomLand came out and made me read stories again

4. heitorcccp

heitorcccp Chieftain

I'm not late yet to vote?

If not, then:

Comedy: Welcome to RandomLand! (MaxWar) - this guy REALLY knows how to write civ comics :D

Narrative: The Celestial Bureaucracy

Best History Book (if just my Alternative Stories deserved to be here :p): The Spanish Empire (Icaria909)

VERY good stories, all the stories posted in this topic. Really difficult to choose :D
    Training my skills - and really hoping to have spare time this year - to develop my stories to the level of these ones.

5. MoreEpicThanYou

MoreEpicThanYou The most Epic.

You can't vote for the Spanish Empire, that didn't make it into Round 2.

6. Mosher

Mosher Mushroom dad

5chars

7. mbkkbm

mbkkbm Silly American

My votes:

Narrative:Hammer and Steel

Comedy:40 Civilization's: Destruction of History 2 (Yoshiegg737):

History Book: Stars and Stripes Forever - A Tale Of American Empire

8. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

Glory to Greece: All Trade Leads to Athens by Dhoomstriker

I used to lurk these forums a long time ago as a non-poster and while there was no shortage of comedy stories, there were few that ever really clicked with me after Flouzemaker stopped updating his stories. All Under Heaven & Glory to Greece were the few stories that were able to make me laugh. It would have been a tough call between the two but since All Under Heaven didn't make it in, I'm going with Dhoomstriker's story. As opposed to using a lot of in-game humor which I'm not as fond of, Dhoomstriker goes outside the box and pulls material from other media works, mashing it all up into something very unique.

The Celestial Bureaucracy by myself

If it's not too forward of me to say, I would consider Tycho & myself to be sort of like the Young Turks of S&T narrative storytelling (I would include Oohforf in this category too if the Great Britannia stories ever got updated XD) picking up where Sisiutil & Helmling left off. I remembered when I first started posting it, I wasn't sure if people liked anything outside of the popular Greece & Rome stories and it was a struggle to get any attention when I first started. I'll always appreciate the first sort of solid base of readers I built up that carried me this far. I had no idea ilduce349 and Alexius08 actually ever read my story either (I remembered ilduce especially, once said that Princes of the Universe was overrated so I thought he wouldn't read mine because it was also narrative). So thank you for the votes and I'm happy that you liked my story.

As for my story, I tried to break away from the standards Sisiutil & Helmling set and focus on young adult perspective, cinematic storytelling & style as opposed to their mature outlook (I didn't want to say old), novel-like feel & focus on substance. Basically, I tried to make several chapters feel like you were watching a movie, reading a graphic novel or watching a syndicated TV series. For those of you who haven't read my story, if that appeals to you, go check it out. But I have to give a fair warning. If you're the type of person who likes black-and-white morality and simplified good & evil; then I don't think you'll find my story very enjoyable. At the very least though, my readers have my guarantee that I'll update steadily (unless I die or become hospitalized), something I know is highly valued in this subforum.

An Iberian Love Story by Alexius08

Along with the Portugal reason that Yoshi stated, the story is just flat-out good.
    There's rules in place that Portugal can't break (love Izzy) & a central theme that supports them.
    The only thing that would've made the story better in my opinion is if it were played were Maria instead of Joao :lol:. But I digress.
    The world that's been built in An Iberian Love Story is amazing and it caught my attention because the map was something completely different from what you could see in the average, boring old RFC screenshot. It's different, and that's what earns my vote and my readership.

9. MoreEpicThanYou

MoreEpicThanYou The most Epic.

Time's up! And now, the winners are...

The Celestial Bureaucracy by Tomorrow's Dawn

Welcome to RandomLand by MaxWar

Pharaohs: The Lords of the Sun by Jusos2108

Congratulations to all the winners! This should probably get featured in the S&T Times. (hint, hint...)

Come to think about it, I don't think Jusos even knows about these awards at all. I'll PM him.

10. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

May I be the first to say congratulations to the winners; You have all earned it! Enjoy the prestige and the honor of having your stories picked over all others! :D

11. Radio Noer

Radio Noer The Devourer

Each winner got some nice bolded text over their Database entry :)

12. MaxWar

MaxWar Chieftain

Aaargh!!! I was actually gonna vote this evening. ( not a joke )

Well, anyway my votes would not have changed the outcome.

I was gonna vote for Hammer and steel, the super secret history of the Mongols, and abstaining for the comedy :p

And Btw, an immense thank you guys for honoring me in this way with my RandomLand! story. I somewhat feel like i don't even deserve it *blush*. There was so many great comedy authors this year and considering how im still a rather recent addition to this forum ( a bit over 2 months), it just feel a bit surreal and totally unexpected. When I saw the votes coming in i was :eek: I feel a bit bad that I could not read all the awesome stories there is on this forum. Anyway, im working on it. That's why i was hesitating in voting for these awards.

A special congrat for TD and Tycho for the skill, care and devotion they exhibit in the making of their respective stories. Setting an example of high standard for this whole forum :goodjob:

Ps: to TD, i have not really read your story :blush:, but i read some parts and scrolled around and from what i've seen, you definitely deserve all those 25k+ views, and I really appreciated reading the detailed insights you wrote along your votes :D

I hope to stay active on this forum for long while, you guys are great here. Favorite forum i've been on so far. Also, I have a big load of ideas for future stories but ill concentrate on finishing the current ones first... I had told myself I would never go past two simultaneous stories, and here i am with 3...
    ( I dont know how Brandon does it :p )

Thanks from Maxwar!

13. mbkkbm

mbkkbm Silly American

:beer::beer::beer::salute::salute::salute::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

14. Yoshiegg737

Yoshiegg737 Jungo Jungo

Heretic!

:joke:

Congrats to all the winners!

15. MaxWar

MaxWar Chieftain

I often think about how lucky I am not to live in a place where they burn people such as me alive :p

Hey is it me or the blush emoticon ( :blush: ) looks more like singing?

16. Alexius08

Alexius08 Chieftain

MaxWar's win is unexpected, beating both DoH2 and Eternal Empire with wide margins. Jusos is a seasoned RFC storyteller whose best work is his RFC story as Arabia, but there was much competition over that category, evident with the narrow margins of the votes (I thought of what would happen if my story managed to get one more vote in the last minute, bringing it to a draw). Dawn was, well, much expected to win.

Congrats to the winners, especially to MaxWar.

17. Tomorrow's Dawn

Tomorrow's Dawn Heroes Never Die

Congratulations to MaxWar; making such a name for yourself for such a new poster is very, very impressive!
    Congratulations to Jusos2108 as well; I lurked his stories for the longest time; but I'll agree with Alexius08, his Arabia story was probably his best one by far.

@Yoshiegg737: I'm very certain that there are people who haven't read my story/refuse to read it because they dislike it.
    That's fine, everyone has their own tastes.

@MaxWar: If you're interested in reading my story, then I suggest you tackle it by arc.
    I've split up portions of my story into arcs in my table of contents (first post) for reader convenience.
    I'm a very fast reader myself (when I used to buy Harry Potter books, I'd finish them within 3-5 hours of starting);
    but if I had to guesstimate, I'd say if you really want to finish it all in one go,
    you should probably devote a part of your evening to it.
    On my Word Document, on Size 11 Goudy Old Style text, I've written about 155 pages worth of content,
    including drafts for future updates, so it'd realistically be about 130 or so for what's actually been posted.

Thank you for the votes, everyone!

18. Jwitti

Jwitti Judas Maccabeus

[whistle] wooooooooow :wow:

19. brandon.herren

brandon.herren NorthKorea Waterbottles:)

:clap: Good Job to all of the winners :goodjob: Generally for me, I get scared away if I see a thread that has 10+ pages... :p

20. Jusos2108

Jusos2108 Chieftain

Whoa! I got METY's PM and just now discovered this thread.

So thank you all!:D

I guess I'll have to make another story at some point during 2012, just that I can compete for this year's awards too.. ;)