The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

I haven't watched the first half but I saw the stats and apparently, Saudi Arabia had a solid majority of the possession but nothing to show for it. I'm guessing Russia's been using counter-attack strategy.

So half time in Moscow... It's been a pretty good match so far...Russia seems to be having no problem at all with Saudi Arabia, whose defense has been terrible so far...

I like the Saudi who was pointing at a danger spot in the defence,
but neither he, nor any of his team-mates did anything more about
it. :eek:

I haven't watched the first half but I saw the stats and apparently, Saudi Arabia had a solid majority of the possession but nothing to show for it. I'm guessing Russia's been using counter-attack strategy.
Sort of.
To me it looked like the Saudi defense was a bit far forward
and that they woud always be a bit vulnerable to a break by
the Russians.
(I'm watching the match with the sound off, while listening to an
audio book and playing civ, so maybe those who have heard
an expert commentary can help you.)

Watched the second half. Loved the way it ended. Russia couldn't have possibly asked for better. The other teams in their division are Uruguay and Egypt. I don't see Saudia Arabia possibly getting first place in their division, nor the most points for second place. And there's no way in hell they're going to beat someone else in goal differential after this. I guess we can kiss them goodbye.

Watched the second half. Loved the way it ended. Russia couldn't have possibly asked for better. The other teams in their division are Uruguay and Egypt. I don't see Saudia Arabia possibly getting first place in their division, nor the most points for second place. And there's no way in hell they're going to beat someone else in goal differential after this. I guess we can kiss them goodbye.
Yes, but then (on previous form) Uruguay might get their whole
team fouled off, so I wouldn't write Saudi off yet. :)

LMAO at Putin's reaction after the 5th goal...

Economy of movement. :)

I noticed that the guy taking the free kick that resulted in the 5th goal had
blood pouring down his hand. A few years ago, during the awful HIV days, he
would have had that injury dealt with immediately.

Very sad to see Golovin getting a yellow card. May spell problems in the next games..

Very sad to see Golovin getting a yellow card. May spell problems in the next games..
In that fairly weak group the Russians might be able to rest him.
Do yellows get wiped after the first round-robin series?
(I think they used to many years ago.)

Yes, but then (on previous form) Uruguay might get their whole
team fouled off, so I wouldn't write Saudi off yet. :)
I doubt it. That’s highly unlikely to happen. Also, there’s so much of a difference in quality between the two teams that I wouldn’t be surprised if Uruguay’s B team players can beat Saudis starters. Uruguay is quite a bit better than Russia, and look what Russia did to them.

I doubt it. That’s highly unlikely to happen. Also, there’s so much of a difference in quality between the two teams that I wouldn’t be surprised if Uruguay’s B team players can beat Saudis starters. Uruguay is quite a bit better than Russia, and look what Russia did to them.

It was a joke about what dirty players the Uruguayans have been in the past.
They, and the Italian Diving Team, are the ones I dislike the most (after having
watched the Cup for nearly 56 years now).

There are many nations that wouldn't make the final cut if games were played on
ability and not by region. Australia would have no hope to make the final 32.

The question I have is this. Host country gets automatically qualified to play in the world cup. But in 2026 3 countries will co-host the Mundial. Will all 3 automatically qualify to play then?

The question I have is this. Host country gets automatically qualified to play in the world cup. But in 2026 3 countries will co-host the Mundial. Will all 3 automatically qualify to play then?

Brilliant question! (Canada and USA don't really deserve to be in it
on ability.)
After SKorea/Japan, FIFA said co-hosting wasn't going to happen again. :)

(Canada and USA don't really deserve to be in it
on ability.)

Don’t be sure about the USA. The sport is growing rapidly here. The MLS grew a whopping 80% in market value since 2013... just five years. I’m 26, and my mom teaches teenagers in America, and the majority of her students like soccer more than traditional American sports. The younger people here are preferring it more than ever. By 2026 our talent pool will be considerably bigger. Not to mention the only reason we didn’t qualify this time is because we were stupid enough to fire a great coach and replace him with a terrible one based on a knee jerk reaction of a few games.

Edit: just checked Wikipedia and I can’t believe the new stadium being built in Los Angeles isn’t even being considered. IIRC it is going to be literally the most expensive stadium/venue ever built anywhere in the word with all the luxuries and state of the art things you could possibly dream of. Horrible decision by FIFA to not consider it.

Edit 2: the decision to rule out Las Vegas isn’t something Americans who care about our economy will like either. Las Vegas being a host city would bring in tons of revenue for obvious reasons. And the stadium is still being built, so by 2026 it will be almost brand new.

Last edited:

I would assume so. The 2026 competition will feature 48 teams, so even with the 3 home teams guaranteed, there would be still enough spots for all teams which deserve to be there and then some.

Don’t be sure about the USA. The sport is growing rapidly here.

It grew a lot over the last decade or two, but that hasn't really translated
into consistent success at international level. Same with Australia. The
increasing popularity here hasn't resulted in us beating anyone much stronger
than Tonga. Uruguay B would thrash us - unless they were playing after the end
of their domestic season. :)

It grew a lot over the last decade or two, but that hasn't really translated
into consistent success at international level. Same with Australia. The
increasing popularity here hasn't resulted in us beating anyone much stronger
than Tonga. Uruguay B would thrash us - unless they were playing after the end
of their domestic season. :)

America’s team now is much better than the jokers we had in the 90s. Also, USA has a far larger population base than Australia.

Don’t be sure about the USA. The sport is growing rapidly here. The MLS grew a whopping 80% in market value since 2013... just five years. I’m 26, and my mom teaches teenagers in America, and the majority of her students like soccer more than traditional American sports. The younger people here are preferring it more than ever. By 2026 our talent pool will be considerably bigger. Not to mention the only reason we didn’t qualify this time is because we were stupid enough to fire a great coach and replace him with a terrible one based on a knee jerk reaction of a few games.

Edit: just checked Wikipedia and I can’t believe the new stadium being built in Los Angeles isn’t even being considered. IIRC it is going to be literally the most expensive stadium/venue ever built anywhere in the word with all the luxuries and state of the art things you could possibly dream of. Horrible decision by FIFA to not consider it.

Edit 2: the decision to rule out Las Vegas isn’t something Americans who care about our economy will like either. Las Vegas being a host city would bring in tons of revenue for obvious reasons. And the stadium is still being built, so by 2026 it will be almost brand new.

Stadiums built for American football cannot fit a proper field. Stadiums built large enough for a soccer field are terrible for American football. Se Los Angeles Memorial Colosseum for example.

Top Bottom