The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Of course France isn't like Belgium. I just said it isn't in the first tier traditional WC powers :)
It is still above England, though. (and Portugal).
It WASN'T in the first tier until the mid-80, but I'd say since then it's part of the top 10.

It WASN'T in the first tier until the mid-80, but I'd say since then it's part of the top 10.

Top10 isn't top tier :p

Iirc all four sides i mentioned have something like 4 world cup titles each? (maybe Germany has one more, not sure)

edit: sorry, i was wrong:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_FIFA_World_Cup_winners

Brazil: 5
Germany: 4
Italy: 4
Argentina: 2
France: 2
Uruguay: 2
(England: 1
Spain: 1)

Which would make top tier be Brazil/Germany/Italy, and second tier be Argentina/France and maybe Spain (Uruguay won those cups aeons ago, and England won in 66 and last time it had a real chance of winning was 1990).

Last edited:
Top10 isn't top tier :p
Then it's pretty much a meaningless tier.
Iirc all four sides i mentioned have something like 4 world cup titles each? (maybe Germany has one more, not sure)
Germany and Italy have 4, Brasil has 5. After that it's France, Argentina and Uruguay with 2, and then England and Spain with 1.

Of course France isn't like Belgium. I just said it isn't in the first tier traditional WC powers :)
It is still above England, though. (and Portugal).

Some rule changes and VAR will force a rebalancing of the tiers. For example, a
few WC's ago there was a lot of shirt-pulling and defenders holding the back of
the shirts of their opponents while a free kick was being taken (aka cheating).
That seems to have been reduced.
Diving is still a blight on the game, but that is not quite as prominent now.
Eliminate that disgusting feature and football might be able to reclaim its
former "beautiful game" status. Until then, Australian Rules Football is the
undisputed absolutely gorgeous game.

Are you aware that you've just provided the evidence needed to prove yourself wrong?

Yes, but in this case the hand was between the ball and the goal. A different
matter to the case where the ball just hit his hand without blocking the goal.

And the Cup is over. Let's all group hug, CFC vote would score a 14!

But the winners with this formula are, tied at thirteen, AdrienIer, caketastydelish and Uberfrog. And it's thirteen out of sixteen, you get all the bragging rights deservedly! :king:

Following close with twelve points, BirraImperial, Ozbenno and ThERat. So, so close to the top. Impressive, gentlemen.

Behind them, at eleven, Ferocitus, Serutan, shadowplay, Sofista and Turquoiside.

Right behind, scoring ten points, red_elk and Snerk.

Just below, at nine points, are raen and Takhisis. Eight points go to Rik Meleet.

I truly wanted to be wrong. It would have been an incredible story, little Croatia walking away with the trophy - but in the end, their energy dried up, and pride in itself can only get you so far. But the entire world applauded them, and they'll tell this story decades from now. They made the game enjoyable for all, and will be remembered fondly.
France is undeniably a team full of talent, they had a consostent plan to which they stuck throughout. And, in football, you must seize your chances when you get them: raw stats show that France shot 7 times, 6 on goal, while Croatia shot 14 times, only 4 on goal. So much for ball possession (66% for Croatia). But I'd like to know what Deschamps rationale was. To use a metaphor, it's like giving a cook a larder full of incredible ingredients, only for him to serve mac and cheese and green salad. Why, good God, why?

And the Cup is over. Let's all group hug, CFC vote would score a 14!

Bravo, Sofista! Many thanks for your efforts.
Would you like to keep score for the EU-UK Brexit matches?

Are you sure you've done those calculations correctly, THERat?

(If I don't win I'll throw a tantrum and claim it was ‘fake news’, but still).
FAKE NEWS!
The first goal of France after a freekick that should not have been given, a yellow card for the French player appropiate.
The second goal of France after a dubious penalty.
The penalty was not dubious at all… it was a ridiculous handball.
I am only happy that France won the wc because it would suck if random Croatia had :)
Admit it, you were angry that they beat the peiratikoí 4-1 in the repecháge.
The handball decision, that's the kind of thing only the big countries get. Ref doesn't give that to Croatia knowing all the big shots in France will come for him after the match.
The ref wouldn't have given such a handball to Croatia? Possibly. Pitana is that kind of referee.
Bravo, Sofista! Many thanks for your efforts.
Would you like to keep score for the EU-UK Brexit matches?
Do we get to count own goals?

Gratz to France. They got a little lucky this game but overall they have played very well this tournament.

She looks like a woman who is happy that her team won but also knows that now her husband will be up all night talking about football instead of letting her sleep.

Vladimir Vladimirovich does not seem happy.

I didn’t get to watch yesterday’s or today’s game because of a martial arts tournament I was competing in.

I am thankful for you all describing those games for me. :)

Edit: I got third place in one of the competitions and tied for first place in this one lol.

Top Bottom