The Accidental Fortress

Captain_Jack

Warlord
Supporter
I occasionally direct a worker to build a fortress when I intended another action. By the time I realize my mistake the fortress is built. It mars the aesthetic of my land and provides an opportunity for my enemy to shelter. If I try to destroy the so-called improvement the underlying irrigation, road, or mine is destroyed first and I certainly don't want that. I also see no way to sell the fortress.
Any advice? (and I know not building the fortress in the first place is the best advice)

A fortress in your cultural borders provides no extra shelter to an enemy. I didn't know this at first.

Ha. I actually do that quite often though usually notice the mistake quickly since I micro workers heavily

Anyway, as rah mentioned a fort - built in your culture- provides no benefit to others. Forts can hook up resources too - not a bad idea outside of BFCs as forts can’t be sabotaged. A fort can also serve as ports and station air units, and create canals.

Re destroying Forts -

the underlying irrigation, road, or mine is destroyed

I was 99.9% sure that you can't have a Fort on a tile with another improvement. Are you sure the underlying improvement isn't already removed by building the Fort? Also, I didn't think it was possible to pillage tiles in your own culture.

Yeah...a fort would replace an improvement (not roads). If there is a resource on the tile that resource would be connected to the empire with a road.

Facts about forts:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/forts-in-bts-everything-there-is-to-know.308069/

They can be sabotaged by spies btw, just as other improvements. If you rely on one source of oil for example, you can build a fort on the oil well and stop the worker 1 turn before completion. Thus, when there is a successful spy mission you can immediately regain access - and prepare for the the next one by almost completing another oil well on the fort. And so on...

Also, yes you can pillage your own territory. Useful if you want to deliberately disconnect metal to build a few cheap warriors for example

Top Bottom