The AI adopting religions

Aye pyr0mancer's right thats probably the reason why the civs are all mostly 1 religion. I often have the same thing, only once I had it where The Whole World was Ashen Veil and poor little me was the only good guy. Now that was a slash and burn game. IMHO the devs should make it so the civs have affinity for a certain religion so you dont have people like tebryn and sheela being RoK or FoL, they should only be allowed to have Ashen Veil or maybe OO. Vice Versa too

I wanted to suggest the same. In my latest game all 3 good civs converted to AV because there wasn't any other religion available, it makes no sense. I agree that there should be some weight modifiers that will keep civilizations from adopting opposite (lore wise) religions at least for some time.

CoE and Empyrean are the latest religions, with (I think) the highest tech requirements. As such, by the time they're founded there's little incentive for the AI to switch, since they've already got an established state religion.

Perhaps cities that have more than one religion should have a chance to lose one?

It could perhaps be weighted so that FoL/OO/RoK are the most likely to fall out of favour, then Order/AV and then Emp/CoE

There could be a modifier that owning a Holy City keeps the faith strong, and there could perhaps also be a set of rituals - available in the later game, and buildable in the Holy City - that could be used to re-invigorate the faiths (so FoL/OO/RoK could find themselves the same 'strength' as the Good/Evil religions)

Interesting. I play standard size maps (not having as much time) and I'm just in a game with 6 civs + Hyborem where I've met 4 civs+hyborem and each has a diffferent state religion from me and each other, except for Hyborem and the balseraphs (who I guess summoned him). What I was really enjoying was how I (Luchuirp) don't want to switch from Runes to Order so I can be even more pally with the Elohim, becuase I need the Runes abilities. THat sort of difference you don't get in Civ 4, and I think one of the issues being encountered here is that the AI has no appreciation of the value of the different religion's abilities. So they just go with the flow instead of seeking out the best for them.

(btw I'm using the Erebus mapscript and there was a lot of early isolation - me & Elohim were backed in a corner with a large barb hinterland which we colonised and one small access to the sea which we left alone. At about turn 350 I finally set out and found the rest of the world... The isolation may have contributed to the lack of mixing religions)

The isolation may have contributed to the lack of mixing religions

That's usually how it goes. But since most maps don't isolate the civs, this doesn't happen often.

Are there some ideas which would make the other religions a bit more accepted by the AIs?

You can adjust the leaders' attitudes toward each religion. You can also reduce the spread-rate of the religions.

Assets/XML/Civilizations/CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml has the attitude information. (Search for a religion name or two to find it.)

Assets/XML/Gameinfo/CIV4ReligionInfo.xml has the "Spreadfactor" for each religion. Lower # is slower.

If you're only going to adjust 1 I recommend going for the Spreadfactor. A Leader with nothing bot RoK cities is going to be loathe to adopt another religion if every city is already RoK. ReligionInfo is also much easier to work with. (Much smaller file, only 7 lines to change.)

Short answer: yes.

Top Bottom