The Ancient Mediterranean MOD

I'm getting my forums confused I think... but didn't someone mention that coastal cities should be considered closer to the palace for upkeep costs? Actually I'm pretty sure it was in Apolyton now that I think of it. But I suggested giving harbor improvement a reduced maintenance for the city.

I'll look into it. Right now, the mod only offers one standard-size scenario (the map that comes with it). We've got another map nearly ready, which is large and covers more of Europe.

Once we've completed the main mod work, we're going to look into making MOD-specific map scripts, which will allow you to play on random maps.

MilkmanDan said:
I'm getting my forums confused I think... but didn't someone mention that coastal cities should be considered closer to the palace for upkeep costs? Actually I'm pretty sure it was in Apolyton now that I think of it. But I suggested giving harbor improvement a reduced maintenance for the city.

why ? On what basis... it might apply if the capital was itself a port, but otherwise I don't see why a port should cost less maintenance. Actually I would say it should cost even more because of the docks, harbor, arsenal etc.

thamis said:
I just checked the XML. It seems to be possible to give modifiers for certain terrains. What I don't know is whether that modifier also applies when that terrain has a feature on top of it.

Thus: Does Spearman on Forest with fighting bonus on flatlands mean:
Grassland +0%
Spearman Bonus on Grassland +25%
Forest Bonus +25%

Or does the grassland bonus go away when it has a feature? Gotta check that out.

Also, it seems to be possible to make units be built more quickly with a certain resource. Thus the idea of making all units available but giving those with the right resources a distinct advantage would work out.

I think they would stack. Takes forest hills for example: the defense bonus is 75%, 50% of forest + 25% of hills.

On the cavarly

1. They didnt have stirrups
2. There idea of saddles were really just a blanket around the horse

This made the knight style lance charges in-practicle the weapons that the companions of alexander fought with were more like spears and were used for cutting rather than thrusting. The romans cavalry werent roman they were made up of mercenaryies and tribesmen. The romans didnt use cavarly as a standard part of there army till well in the last days of the empire and they were only really copies of every other power of the day namely the sasiad persians. They could never really be called "good" they were a death spasm twitch to the increasing prevalance of mounted horse archers.

Otherwise its a execcelent mod with some truly origanal concepts making use of the flexibility of civ 4

:king:

Masada said:
On the cavarly

1. They didnt have stirrups

This made the knight style lance charges in-practicle the weapons that the companions of alexander fought with were more like spears and were used for cutting rather than thrusting. The romans cavalry werent roman they were made up of mercenaryies and tribesmen. The romans didnt use cavarly as a standard part of there army till well in the last days of the empire and they were only really copies of every other power of the day namely the sasiad persians. They could never really be called "good" they were a death spasm twitch to the increasing prevalance of mounted horse archers.

Otherwise its a execcelent mod with some truly origanal concepts making use of the flexibility of civ 4

:king:

bright day
Ahem Nobilis means rider... And gallic saddle was good, better than eastern saddles some would argue. Plus this althist ;).

onedreamer said:
why ? On what basis... it might apply if the capital was itself a port, but otherwise I don't see why a port should cost less maintenance. Actually I would say it should cost even more because of the docks, harbor, arsenal etc.

On the basis that it is easier/faster to reach a coastal city with news/orders thus the distance penalty of city maintenance should be lower. Since no city improvement in CIV costs more maintenance, the added costs of running the harbor don't apply with the new game model.

alinurdengizich said:
hey thamis,
When will you release a new version?? (Without the faces of Sid:crazyeye: )

Will take a while (I guess 2 or 3 weeks is a good guesstimate). We gotta replace everything that links to the technology tree in any way (which is nearly everything).

The Sid faces will be one of the later things, because it's just artwork, not gameplay.

alinurdengizich said:
hey thamis,
When will you release a new version?? (Without the faces of Sid:crazyeye: )

And what's wrong with Sid's face?;)

Thamis
Don't rush because people are anxious to get new version out (including me), use as long time as it takes to get it ready. Your work is just amazing. Best mod I've played. :)

Aku Armoton said:
And what's wrong with Sid's face?;)

Thamis
Don't rush because people are anxious to get new version out (including me), use as long time as it takes to get it ready. Your work is just amazing. Best mod I've played. :)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!we are one year closer to the future!:scan:

I agree that quality is overall better than the time it takes,:goodjob:

although i am dying to get my hands on this mod i can bite my fingers till it arrives:cry:

Thamis i just wanted to say, im learning the program Maya (something like 3dxmax) which i can soon help create future artwork for the project!(leader heads):mischief:

i purchased the Lynda.com video for it soo i am going to learn it in a jippie and will soon go to work on helping the mod.

Masada said:
On the cavarly

"1. They didnt have stirrups

companions of alexander fought with were more like spears and were used for cutting rather than thrusting."
The highly effective Numidian cavalry rode up to the footsoldiers and threw spears from horseback.

"The romans cavalry werent roman they were made up of mercenaryies and tribesmen."

Not quite right. Indeed, early in Roman history, it was possession of the wealth to buy a horse and fight as cavalry that gave rise to the "knights" or Equites order.

"The romans didnt use cavarly as a standard part of there army till well in the last days of the empire"

Caesar fought against cavalry to win at Phillippi. 4 Centuries before end of Empire. And they were Romans.

Hi,

Ancient Mediterranean is my favorite mod in Civ3. Now I will try it in Civ4, thanks for your efforts.

Hittite civilization is not listed, is it possible to include them in the coming patches? Or can I add them myself?

Regards.

Sorry, after installation I saw that you already included Hittites.

Hello all and happy new year.

Karhgath, does it really make sense to give spearmen (and HEA in general) a bonus against mounted skirmishers? Well if you're a hoplite or macedonian phalangist or a post Marius legionaire (better armour and shield), I don't think you've any advantage over a Scythian or Parthian horse archer... Thinking, like Crassus did, that one day or the other the archer will run out of arrows is a dangerous way of thinking...

On your javelineer over archer argument, a javelin might be more powerful than an arrow (though one might wonder when it comes from a composite or longbow), but first of all you'll have to close on the archer. Hastati and legionaries used deadly pilla, granted, but those were phalanx killers more than archer killers. To kill archers, you need to get close first... better be on a horse for that (and the better the armour, the higher your chances to survive... though... Agincourt comes to my mind, sometimes it's a bad idea anyway).

Top Bottom