1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Ancient Mediterranean MOD

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by thamis, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Karhgath

Karhgath Chieftain

No it's not, when you look at it that way, I didn't put the bonus at first. However, consider that, for a spearman to kill a horse archer, he'll eventually have to get close, because if he doesn't, he'll have 0 chance to kill it. Since spearman are heavy units, with tons of armor, shields and a very long reach, if they do get in reach, the horse archer have no chance... Compared to a swordsman, the spearman has more chance, no? It might not be substancial tho, and since they are slower it might just negate it...

Maybe +10% all the way to pikeman against MSK instead of +25%, or maybe no bonus at all?

BTW, the holidays are over, so I'm kicking in the high gear and I should have the units and promos done today in xml, or so I hope.

2. Karhgath

Karhgath Chieftain

BTW, based on the Promotion and Traits mod, adding terrain defense for grass only works on grass tiles without forests or hills, so we'll be able to give spearman +defense on flatlands without problems.

3. thamis

thamis King of Kish

Cool! :) That's really good news.

4. 1stMinnesota

1stMinnesota Chieftain

Hi Thamis,
    Thanks for doing such a great job with TAM. I enjoyed it very much in Civ III.
    I just go Civ IV for Christmas and downloaded TAM today - .09. Thing is
    the starting Techs still aren't there. Did I do something wrong. I did notice
    it says .08 on the screen but that still should have fixed the problem per the notes?
    Anyhow, any help would be appreciated.

5. thamis

thamis King of Kish

Which CIV did you pick?

6. onedreamer

onedreamer Dragon

like I said: how is it faster to reach a coastal city from the capital if the capital is not coastal itself ? Again, unless the capital is a port itself a coastal city should be treated like all others.
    On another note, coastal city already have the advantage of harbor increasing trade routes revenues by 50%, which already makes them cost less than inland cities.
    Also your answer about added costs of running the harbor makes as much sense as me replying that in the game model there is no news/orders or couriers and therefore all your reasoning is void.

7. thamis

thamis King of Kish

I think the increased trade route revenue already offsets the maintenance reduction we're talking about. No need to change harbours. :)

8. 1stMinnesota

1stMinnesota Chieftain

The Romans and the Egyptians for sure. Maybe one other.
    Thanks.

9. Felzor

Felzor Chieftain

This map is great. I love the civs and the flags. I noticed, however, that there are no modern day natural resources! I realize this is supposed to be about the ANCIENT Med, but this map is extremely well done and I think it could be used for any random vanilla game. Consider adding oil, aluminum, and uranium, just for players like me who might use this map outside of the mod.

10. Felzor

Felzor Chieftain

Not sure about this one. My friend and I are on the verge of replaceable parts and it's not even the 19th century. Then again, we are playing on "quick" mode. Maybe you're right though. We havn't actually finished the game.

11. DoctorG

DoctorG Chieftain

Hi Folks,

I'm a Roman archaeologist in my real life. At my university I have to teach an intro to Roman culture class frequently, and I think the TAM mod might be a way for me to use play to teach. Is anybody out there doing this sort of thing? I'd rather be playing Civ than teaching, so if I can use civ to teach, then I'd be killing two birds with one stone.

Anyway, a more 'appropriate' reason for why I want to do this is that I think a few rounds of Civ could help me clear up some problems for my students, and get them to better appreciate and understand the past.

To take an example, they tend to imagine that during the year of the Four Emperors (AD 69), it was fairly easy for the competing emperors to get to Rome, and straighten everything out; the history books tend to underemphasize the messiness of these wars... If I could get them playing on the TAM map, and battling it out from the different Emperors' power bases (Vespasian for instance had to march on Rome from the Levant, while keeping Judea and Parthia in check), I think they'd have a better understanding of just how difficult it was to keep the empire going....

I'm reading all the different posts here on civfanatics about creating scenarios and mods and such like, but if there was anybody out there interested in maybe developing some scenarios like I imagine, I'd be grateful!

Thanks everyone

12. thamis

thamis King of Kish

@DoctorG:

Once we're done with the groundwork for TAM, it will be very easy to make such scenarios. Right now the biggest problem is me not having very much time to work on it.

You could also use the CIV3 version of TAM, which is complete, and quickly make such a scenario in the editor. That's really easy.

13. The Last Conformist

The Last Conformist Irresistibly Attractive

Just adding resources in the World Builder should be easy enough to do yourself - the interface is fairly transparent.

14. Gladi

Gladi The ignored thread killer

Bright day
    Q: Kael from FfH has negative (gained in fight) and temporary promotions. Would it be possible to make it so that SKI "break formations" of HEA and MED? That way HEA could still be juggernauts and be vulnerable...?

15. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Chieftain

I am waiting with baited breath for this one to be completed... ;)

( I do not post often so that should say a good bit as well)

16. Shqype

Shqype Shqyptar

I'm close to releasing the Illyrian civilization which would work to make this mod more historically accurate and fun :)

I'de be delighted if it was included.

17. thamis

thamis King of Kish

Send me the info when it's done.

18. Laurino

Laurino Chieftain

Hi everyone!
    I just read the 20 pages of posts , and I am so happy TAM will be done for Civ 4!!!
    I could translate everything u need to be french, if its not already done...
    I have a LOT of time, so i would also absolutely love to help with anything else!!
    I'll download the MOD and give it a try in a minute!
    :) :) :)

19. Spirit_Viriato

Spirit_Viriato Chieftain

I have been of exams and cannot have advanced very much, but the engaged thing is debt, here I leave to you the civilopedia for the Iberian tribes, the text in English is full of errors, he would be grateful that some native Englishman / American was correcting them, before any doubt that he wants to express the text he can write a message asking about it.

Civilopedia

Attached Files:

20. Landmonitor

Landmonitor Chieftain

What about Dacia?