• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

The avengers

Well, I have yet to see any superhero films you've brought up that were better than Avengers.

Oh, and her name is Romanova. Failception?

Black Widow (Чёрная вдова, "Chyornaya vdova") (Natalia "Natasha" Alianovna Romanova,[1] also known as Natasha Romanoff) ;)

I think you can make a case for Dark Knight, X-Men First Class, Spiderman 2, and maaaaybe X-Men 2 as being better than the Avengers. Maybe. Depending on what you're looking for.

Oh, Watchmen as well.

:huh:

Fine, comic book movie, whatever.

The Dark Knight is a gritty, transcendent, crime movie you charlatans.

Honestly, I really enjoyed Watchmen. The Avengers was tremendously entertaining, but Watchmen and TDK were probably better movies. I base this off of nothing in particular.

I was incapable of watching Watchmen objectively because I harbor such strong disapproval for the comic from which it was based.

I was incapable of watching Watchmen objectively because I harbor such strong disapproval for the comic from which it was based.

:(

So yeah, The Avengers was great. I have a few nitpicks I've expressed elsewhere, but all things considered it far exceeded my expectations.

Outside of the Rorschach character, it really wasn't worth reading. The alternate history was a farce, most of the other characters were uninteresting, and Ozymandias' plot was stupid.

I thought Dr. Manhattan and the Comedian were both pretty compelling characters. Any alternate history in which "Some time in the 50s a dude who could do pretty much whatever he wanted started existing in America" is a premise is gonna seem far fetched. As a whole though, the way the story is told admittedly has a lot more merit than the story itself, which is why the movie was for the most part inferior to the comic.

On a scale of 1 to 10?

Avengers: 6

TDK: 11

EDIT: I see we've moved on. Oh well.

I thought Dr. Manhattan and the Comedian were both pretty compelling characters. Any alternate history in which "Some time in the 50s a dude who could do pretty much whatever he wanted started existing in America" is a premise is gonna seem far fetched. As a whole though, the way the story is told admittedly has a lot more merit than the story itself, which is why the movie was for the most part inferior to the comic.
Dr. Manhattan and the Comedian had the merit of not being complete freaking abortions, but I didn't really feel that interested in either.

It's less that the alternate history was far-fetched - you sort of expect that in a comic book, although I kinda got annoyed that some things were changed "just because" and some things weren't changed at all even though they probably ought to have been - but that it was so transparently a vehicle for Moore's ideological declamations on the Cold War. I mean, Nixon a dictatorial President-for-Life? Really? Also, it seems to me that it wasn't Manhattan's thing that was "the" PoD, but something earlier, connected to the rise of costumed vigilantes in the United States of the thirties.

The storytelling wasn't awful, but it kept getting bogged down in trying to do entirely too much at the same time. Juggling the stories of the thirties heroes, the sixties heroes, Jon/Laurie/Dan, Rorschach, that trippy pirate story, what passed for high politics, and of course the main Ozymandias plot got too much and I felt that they only managed to do justice to a few of them, while the others unnecessarily distracted - although given the weakness of Ozymandias' plot, I suppose that might've been a plus. The variety of the materials used to present the information was interesting, and the liberal use of flashbacks was somewhat innovative for the comic books of its time, but neither of those things made up for the overall weaknesses of the story.

I saw the AH elements as minor distractions. Nixon is more symbolic than anything, and afaik he was legitimately elected all those times :p

I thought John was fairly compelling, the whole "aloof, living god" thing. Silk Spectre had to exist to draw out the whole "Dr. Manhattan's humanity" story. Rorschach I thought was a little overdone but undoubtedly fun.

The Comedian was a pivot for character development through dialogue (you could get a good idea about where a character stood by their stance on Comedian) and flashbacks.

Spoiler :
Ozymandias' plot might have been a little silly, but I still enjoyed some of the bigger twists and when it finally happens the moment is handled pretty well in the comic (especially compared to the movie). His plan was grandiose and over-the-top but so was he. The self appointed smartest man in the world thought he could manipulate all of humanity through pure guile. Hell, he even had the hubris to think he could destroy Dr. Manhattan, with predictably hilarious results.

The pirate story WAS trippy, but for some reason I thought it worked. I really wouldn't be able to explain why. Maybe Moore hit me over the head with SYMBOLISM so much that I liked pretending it had some super deep meaning.

I am notoriously easy to please though.

Top Bottom