The CivFanatics War Academy is a mess

Ramesses

Ruler. Visionary. Pimp.
It is an impenetrable fog riddled with misspellings, grammar errors, and an excess of acronyms (which is especially counter-intuitive given the fact that it's provided for inexperienced players).

And I want to do something about it.

Where can I go or who can I talk to to submit neater, more beginner-friendly versions of existing War Academy pages?

You have to take in account that most of the war academy articles weren't made for the war academy, but for strategy and tips forum, hence the overload of acronyms ( I'm guilty in there as well :blush: , but my only article in the war academy was not made for newbies...it was made for experienced players that didn't wanted to play isolated starts , if that is a excuse :p ).

Not long time ago, the CFC forum admin introduced a revision system to the war academy that allows anyone to make a revision of any article in the war academy ( both the original and the revised version will be avaliable IIRC ). You can contact Ginger Ale for more details......

But in the end, if you can contact the original author and convince him to do a revision , the best..... I agree that most of the articles in the war academy need a reviem ( some of them are actually wrong or contain wrong intel that was corrected in the thread discussion but not on the opening post ) and I'll be happy to give a hand reviewing my own article ;)

I'd second the point that virtually all the stuff in the war academy was originally written for the strategy articles forum, and therefore much of it wasn't intended to be that beginner friendly.

Thunderfall would be the person to contact if you're serious about writing a simplified version of the existing war academy. Bear in mind that this would involve a lot of work even if all you do is fix spelling and grammar, and uncompress all the acronyms. I'd also point out that in some of the articles aimed at the more experienced players the acronyms are there for a reason. Anyone that interested in the fine details of some of the mechanics is probably familiar with the common acronyms, and explanations can become very unwieldy with no acronyms.

An alternative would be contacting the original authors of the articles, and asking them to make corrections. This will hit the problem not all of them are still around.

It is an impenetrable fog riddled with misspellings, grammar errors, and an excess of acronyms (which is especially counter-intuitive given the fact that it's provided for inexperienced players).

And I want to do something about it.

Where can I go or who can I talk to to submit neater, more beginner-friendly versions of existing War Academy pages?

Hi,

Let me start by echoing the others' comments in this thread. The articles in the War Academy come straight from the Strategy Articles forum, and, at least when I add the articles, I take the text directly from the author's post. Thus, any things like misspelling, poor grammar, heavy acronym usage, and other inconsistencies are carried over -- it's up to the individual authors to edit their posts in the first place.

That said, I'm not sure if you were aware we have a page explaining acronyms here. To help people find it, I've added a link to it on the main War Academy page.

Finally, you said that you were willing to help out and edit existing pages, so thanks for the offer. The articles you see in the War Academy are actually easily editable by any user, whether to change content or just correct spelling. I created a guide to editing the main site which contains instructions and screenshots that should make it relatively easy to accomplish what you want.

Thanks for your comments, and let me know if you have any more observations.

Moderator Action: Moved to Site Feedback.

Top Bottom