The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 2 - America

Turn 306 Diplomatic victory.

Spoiler :

After some failed attempts at multi-city starts, I finally 'settled' for a 1 city Tradition start. Early objectives were get a quick National College (then over to Xbows) and stay out of Attila's way. I paid Attila to fight Maya, got Sun God for growth. I believe I had Attila at war with everyone else on our continent when I declared against him with 7-8 Xbos and 2 spearmen.
After taking the main Hunnic cities, I slowed the war down so as not to 'build new cities to quickly'. Eventually, I conquered every Hun city on the continent, leaving 1 left on an island.
The Mayans had a lot of wonders in their first 2 cities, so they were the next target. I think leaving them with 1 city was a mistake and I should have cleared them off.
I only captured the 2 main Netherland cities, leaving the rest for Babylon. From this point forward I played a peaceful game, though my former enemies denounced me which made things frustrating.
Social policies: full tradition, partial Rationalism then mixture of Order and Rationalism (finished). I held back on culture early, which allowed me to go straight from Tradition to Rationalism.
I don't know how to execute a continents domination victory and thought a Science victory would be easier. I'd been setting Washington up to be a tall, science powerhouse from very early on. But in using all my money either towards city states or to keep other civs at war with each other, it became clear a diplomatic victory would be easier.
Highlight of the game was building a citadel immediately next to an enemy city - never done that before! I went out of my way, using 2 (extra) great generals, to set that up again next to the Mayan capital.
USA! USA! USA!

Missed the first vote with only 38, this was the second vote.

Victory!

Nice shot of the capital

T292 Diplomatic Victory
Spoiler :

I've decided to go outside my comfort zone. Playing tradition and going for a Diplomatic victory. I settled 4 cities asap, since I figured thats the number to aim for when going tradition. I manged to use Americas UA to snatch two extra luxuries with New York. I also got lucky grabbing two early workers from the Dutch.

So after turn 40 I figured I have to deal with Attila, so I modify my plans to some extra archers. My suspicion was right and on turn 65 Attila DoW me. I went for construction and 6 composites before I got my National Collage around turn 90 :/ For a very long time (40 turns) it was defensive battle as Attila continuously smashed his units into my wall of composites. Not until I gott xbows I managed to break through.

As soon as he came to a fold, I decided I needed to move further taking Pacal in order to secure my place at the top off the food chain. The first city fell fast, but after that it was another way too slow war. Since I didn't go honor as I usually do I didn't want to commit to waring to much. So I mustred to few troops to actually end the wars. So I spent most of my game in wars even thou it felt kind of peacefull :)

Around turn 190 pacal was into an fold and I had claimed his 11 wonders :D I decided to try to play peacefull from now on, so that the worlds hatred for me would stick to this continent only. But 20 turns later the Dutch decided it was a good idea to start smashing troops into a wall of fully upgraded gatlingguns. I figured I didn't need more negative attention, since I was aiming for a diplomatic victory, so I didn't take any of his cities.

About 30 turns later he decided he had killed enough of his own troops against my wall and gave me Rotterdam to make amends :D After that I was the only nation to pick freedom (I had a science lead so I picked first and nobody followed -.- Luckily I had enough citystates to pass the Freedom as the world Ideology :D

So now for the big question, how do I sync up for an early diplomatic victory? I had all the votes I ever needed and just sat on them for 50 turns until I finally could get the victory -.-

Schematics:
Scout -> Scout -> Settler x 3 -> Granary
4 founded cites + 10ish puppets.
5 Tradition -> 5 Rationalist -> 6 Freedom -> 5 Patronage
Luxuary techs -> Construction -> Philosophy -> Machinery -> Education -> Scientific Theroy -> Plastics -> Globalization

But doesn't that heighten the treshold for research and policies? I should try that some time :3 I usually only puppet everything cause I'm lazy :D But I allways go for DomV, so now that I started to do other types of victories I guess I should learn to micro cities/not puppet/no auto workers and trade more often in order to improve my game.

Also, how do I sync up the voting and the UN?

It doesn't seam like UN start as soon as I reach information era, is there something else that is needed that I'm missing?

Tech rate is increased by puppets anyway. It increases policy rate though by 10% (7% with liberty).

But remember you'll get a bit more culture too from these cities so it's closer to around 4-5% when playing liberty. You then annex when you can tank the unhappiness for around 10turns while making a courthouse.

Courthouses cost a lot of maintenance though.

For the UN see this post:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=545099

Thanks allot for the info Acken, I will definitely try to have fewer puppets in the future and see how it pans out. I also would like to hand some extra credits your way after watching some of your excellent lets plays, keep up the good work!

What happened this game was that I were a bit late in tech hit information era about turn 240. Then after 10 turns UN started with 30 turns to the next vote, but all along since the 2*citystate I had more then 40 votes. But I'm still new to non domination victory conditions. I hope to improve my game throughout my progress in the DCL :)

Spoiler :
So definitely not very fast, but it wasn't a standard diplo win either in that I chose to liberate for votes rather than beeline Globalism. I needed to liberate one more city-state to win the first vote, so I ended up finishing Bill and Nebby off and owning most of my continent before winning.

I moved next to the mountain to settle, although in hindsight I wish I had moved two tiles North and settled next to the mountain/river there. I could have bought up the gold, cotton, and dyes away from Bill and the CS. As it was, I stole two workers from Bill and got to building archers as soon as my two expos were up because Attila was camped pretty close. I sent Attila after Pacal on turn 45, but after razing one city Attila seemed to be more interested in keeping troops near my borders despite the ongoing war. So, I upgraded all my archers sooner rather than later, and had to delay my NC by 5 turns because I spent my library gold. After that, Attila made peace with Pacal and DOW'd me a couple turns later. So I went for Machinery before Education, and left Attila with a GG bombed city and little else on turn 126. If you look at my screenshot, I could have done him even worse if I hadn't changed my mind about which city I wanted. I got Education on turn 127. A denouncement from Attila was followed by a round of DOFs from everyone else.

After that my growth was pretty bad, so really slow science. I didn't start finding cultural CSs until the 150s, and I felt behind enough in science to focus my gold there instead. I had been thinking science or diplo because I have to pick Freedom when I play America, and because some city-states had fallen I decided to go for diplo so I could use B-17s. I got way ahead in picking my ideology, but my culture was so terrible that I got flattened with unhappiness and basically had to stop growing when nobody followed me. That was fine really, because it was time to start building barracks/etc. and crank up the war machine.

To get things going, I bought all the city-states and proposed Freedom as the world ideology. Then I told everyone to pound sand when they complained, and denounced Pacal, Monte, and Nebby. I threw in a few more insults, and finally Pacal declared on me. He mentioned something about taking advantage of my weakness, but apparently he hadn't noticed that all of the domestic automakers had converted their assembly lines to support the war effort. Air superiority wins every time, and I liberated Attila the turn Pacal DOW'd me. He returned the favor by burning down any city I didn't want. I wiped Pacal off the continent taking a city turn with 2 bomber stacks. Then I had to send my existing Navy off for a trek across the world to take his last city on a lonely island, because there was literally nothing else I could do to help my happiness problem any sooner other than wipe him off the map. Besides, I was one turn from buying the last city-state from him before he declared and he was still convinced he could win the war, somehow.

Nebby thought he would pile on, and I had my third bomber stack ready. I faith bought a GE, popped in the Pentagon, and upgraded all of my bombers as soon as I got the aluminum. I didn't have anything else to spend the faith on, and gold was tight. After I captured Babylon in 2 turns with Stealth/XCOMs, I declared on Bill and wiped him out for good measure. Happiness was a mess until I finished Commerce, and I had to deal with some rebel XCOMs marching on Washington. At least they weren't GDRs or hippies.

After I cleared my continent in 20 turns, liberating one civ and three city-states, Monte got the memo and started building space ship parts. He had all of the capitals on the other continent. We both had nukes (he made sure to let me know), and I was sitting on 44 votes while needing 39, so I just took the diplo win and left the world in an East/West cold war. The cities had finally come out of resistance in my screen shot, so things look much rosier than they were not too many turns ago.

Attachments

• DCL02.jpg
    DCL02.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 149
  • DCL02_2.jpg
    DCL02_2.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 155
  • DCL02_AttilaDefeated.jpg
    DCL02_AttilaDefeated.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 143
Thanks! I admit, I had to google EXALT and XCOM to get the reference. :lol: Actually, there were a lot of pretty funny write-ups on this one. I need to keep practicing my early warfare skills, and I plan to watch Pedro's LP with an eye on how he pivots to taking the other continent.

DOMINATION @ 309
Spoiler :
Trying to play all the game i missed, 3 cities liberty then Honor ratio and autocracy. By the time i got to the last continent Monty already had killed the Ethiopians and Took the Marocan capital .the B52's took care of him :)

Attachments

• americans2.jpg
    americans2.jpg
    459.3 KB · Views: 173
Nice win and I like your phraseology. It brought to mind the following hypothetical satellite phone/war radio conversation:

"Howdy general, how are things going against that goddamn chilli choker?"
"It's all taken care of, Mr. Secretary. We sent in the B52s this morning. The area is secure."

I admit I have a strange sense of humour. It's made worse by the fact that in real life, I am a vociferous opponent of civilisation, but until such a time as I manage to escape from it, I am, ironically, and somewhat hypocritically pursue a hobby/surrogate activity which involves the simulation of civilisation. You can't get much more ironic than that! :D

T279 CV

Forgot to post this I did a few months ago. Easy to be neighbour to Attila - as long as he hates others more than you, and he has others to pray on. Always.

Attachments

• america culture 279.jpg
    america culture 279.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 136
That's a good win with all due respect because Deity is difficult with tradition even if you're doing it by yourself.

How could a person 'do it' NOT by their self?

You could do it in multiplayer by letting other players weaken the AI and then continue with tradition to get a science win. Doing it by yourself could be done if you time it right like it is done here.

All DCL games are single player. I'm sure you know that ;)

Top Bottom