The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 5 - The Inca

Maybe make a poll? I would prefer if you continued but I would also understand if you chose not to do it :)

I've been meaning to ask the community if I should continue on with the spreadsheet documenting finishers? I'm more than happy to continue logging the data if there is interest.

If it's just a matter of appreciation then please continue updating it. I think it's a nice compilation of who, what, why & when and it's value as a quick recap will increase as the series goes on.

t285V

Spoiler :

Been replaying this map over and over trying to improve my play but I'm always at the mercy of Assyria's or Genghis's citadel bombing.
This time I decided to take the fight to Assyria to my cost as I took my eye off the ball and missed opening Rationalism after finishing Tradition by Bee-lining Machinery instead of researching Acoustics after Education. I made too many mistakes and as a result I had to hard build the SS parts even though I went Freedom as my culture is shocking.

I'm going to continue playing as Hiawatha has just DOWed a 1 city Assyria and I'm sure will be hated if he eliminates Assyria. I have XCOMs and Stealth Bombers and he has many cities.......

Attachments

• t285DSv.jpg
    t285DSv.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 135
I really like the spreadsheet. It's fun to have a quick glance at how everyone is playing. Plus I feel like I have become a 1000% better since the start of this and it's cool to see my progress.

I really like the spreadsheet. It's fun to have a quick glance at how everyone is playing. Plus I feel like I have become a 1000% better since the start of this and it's cool to see my progress.

I agree. Sometimes interesting results get buried quickly. If you don't mind doing the work it is appreciated here :)

Agree with the above sentiments, having a quick recap of victories is really helpful for a nice recap but also it helps identify some victories to look at on the thread in question for newer players to deity like myself.

Turns 0-205

Spoiler :
I haven't been able to play much Civ lately but had some free time and thought I would play a few turns of this game. I pushed through 205 turns pretty quick and will have to save the game from here. I may not finish since the game seems to be a bit of a breeze unlike some of the other games on this thread. I was pretty suprised that I wiped out Assyria pretty quick and the Mongols didn't put up a stronger fight as they usually do. I kinda wrecked Russia early by stealing 2 workers and plundered a trade route and some tiles. After that I bribed the Mongols to war them and they traded a city back and forth and Russia has been far behind ever since.

I went Full Tradition and 1 into Patronage and Full Ratio after that. I built scout, scout, scout to uncover the map and steal some workers (5 total). I went 4 city Trad and built NC on t86. Brazil beat me to PT by 1 turn on turn 165 which is pretty rare even on Deity. I usually can get that safely all the way up to turn 180 but this game I did not get it. After expanding I built libraries and rush bought the 4th. After that I pretty much just built full blown Comp Bows. I had 12 around turn 120ish when I upgraded them all to XBs and went on a killing spree. I even liberated IFE. The only threat now is Brazil trying to win VIA culture but after I wipe them out I can win however I choose. I'll finish this game out if I get the time.

This map is fun and it seems a little easier compared to other Deity games. I think this map is good for someone trying to step up to Deity and get a win. It seems it is very hard for the AI to have any chance of rolling us in this spot with all these Mtns and Hills.

t280SV

Spoiler :

Wasn't the best start as I went after the wrong barb camp first and and my 3rd settler was captured delaying the founding of my 4th city.

Tried the diplomacy long-game with Assyria and it paid off as there was no citadel bombing, we even had a DOF at one point. I made a few minor mistakes and one major and that was miscalculating that I would wouldn't generate any more GS so 2 GM were generated. 1 turn from Nanotechnology I generated a GS. Couldn't found a pantheon so didn't bother completing Rationalism as I predicted(wrongly) that I wouldn't have enough faith to buy a GS.

I got DOWed by Cathy and Assyria whilst I was building the NC, thankfully she agreed to peace after taking back her worker. Assyria DOWed me twice early on but after I denounced Genghis he was Friendly, as was most of the world. Having constant loans from Plastics onwards seemed to keep most people happy, I'll be doing that in future.

My strategy was to try and avoid being DOWed and to micro-mange every city every turn so no one city would take more than 10 turns to increase in population. In fact this was the most fun I've probably had playing civ.

Attachments

• t280DSV.jpg
    t280DSV.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 185
If it's just a matter of appreciation then please continue updating it. I think it's a nice compilation of who, what, why & when and it's value as a quick recap will increase as the series goes on.

The data input takes just a few minutes a day, so I wasn't feeling like my "hard work" was going unnoticed.:lol: I was not sure if anyone was visiting the page or if the users felt it added value to the series. If the page was going unvisited, then spending even a few minutes a day updating would have been unnecessary. With that said, the response seems to suggest I keep the spreadsheet, so that is what I shall do.

keep it on, its good way to remember which series I have still left to play when I have the time :)

My first Deity Challenge, enjoyed it immensely!

Spoiler :
In the end, it was a turn 292 SV.

I ran three cities (all at mountains, one coastal) with Tradition with one point in Commerce, Patronage and the rest was Rationalism and Order.

I managed to build some early game wonders (Oracle, Machu Picchu) and was slowly catching up.

I got DoWed around turn 100 by both Assyria and Mongolia (at once) which slowed me considerably, effectively stopping growth and progress of one of my cities (since I had no great general for a citadel).

After I recovered, I slowed my scientific progress to punish Assyria (the sweet revenge) by taking their cities including capital. After that I fully focused on Science and managed to buy all City States left on the map (there were about 10).

All in all, I really enjoyed the map (and the civ, first time I've played as the Inca) and I'm looking forward to the next one :)

Yes keep winners document spreadsheet. I like proof that I've won deity games.

Fun game, was the first deity challenge i attempted and also my first BNW to play to the end. Really need to tune the strategy a bit from what I was used to in G&K. Kinda forgiving map though, with that huge production and growth many nice wonders was reachable.

Spoiler :

After briefly read through the thread it seems some had a very peaceful game whereas other had constant wars, me included. Even though i want to build my farms peacefully and bribed the AI against each other they kept DOW me, (8 or 9 in total, excluding only Brazil and Korea). Especially the early DOW from russia around turn 50 cost me where I had to completely focus on military to survive her swarm of swordsmen. Some of the later DOW i don't fully understand where the AI sometimes reached my terrority with less than 3 units.

Managed a turn 241 SV, even though the arts funding cost me at least one extra GS and in the end approx 10 turns. Overall a really fun experience and interesting to read how other player dealt with the same start position.

As someone before mentioned it was pain to get whales on this map, and of course my capital wanted just that resource at the later part of the game.

Attachments

• Inca241.jpg
    Inca241.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 184
This game is getting somewhat bizarre...

Spoiler :
So, Ashurbanipal has been the worst neighbour I've ever had. Usually, warmongerers will be honest about their hatred of me (like Alexander), or at least be smart about it when turning on me (like Napoleon or Dido). Ashurbanipal just looks friendly and relies on me for trade, but declares war on me whenever he has the chance, even though I have good defences, good allies (Brazil, Mongolia and Monaco), and he has more trade routes with me than I have with him. He just mindlessly declares war on me to slow me down and accomplish nothing else.

But other than a brief scare when he DOF'd with Russia, he's been manageable. And then...

Inca DCL - Lake Simcoe.jpg

Jesus Christ, Aionwata, why? Why!? That was my spot! My only chance to have ships!

I wanted nothing more than to raze that city, but see, the weird thing is, Hiwatha has been hostile and unpleasant in every game I've met him. Here, he's being Friendly, and I've never seen him do that. Plus, he's got a huge military (a.k.a. unlikely to accept good peace terms), and the whole situation with Ashurbanipal meant it was better not to split my small army. I had to settle Ollantaytambo in a less optimal location, as you can see.

As of now, I finally managed to build me the Forbidden Palace (first time ever) and the Porcelain Tower, so things are looking up. Gonna see if I can grab Freedom before anybody else. Also, Cusco takes 7 turns to build the Taj Mahal right now, so I'll try to do that.

It's not running as smoothly as some others' games, but I can definitely see where I made mistakes. I chalk most of it to my Deity inexperience, reinforcing the notion that I should only try these challenges if I used the Civ in question on lower difficulties before.

Did it, my first Deity victory! :king: Diplomacy win, casting the votes on turn 258 (does it count as a 258-turn victory, or a 259-turn victory?)

Spoiler :
My initial goal was to go for a Science victory, but my rival civs didn't try too hard to keep their CS alliances. Managed to win, even though both Hanoi and Ife being conquered.

Victory screen.jpg

Despite a rough start where I didn't get religion, or even a single Wonder until Forbidden Palace, I managed to maintain a good relationship with City-States, no doubt that's what saved me in every possible way, even in fighting off Ashurbanipal's army.

I had half of the CSes, as well as all my cities, demanding Salt, a luxury that didn't appear anywhere until near the end of the game, when Russia settled there. So, no WLTKD at all during the vast majority of the game.

Hiwatha stealing my coast was like a knife. No ideal spot for the 4th city, no ships, and two of my cities now needed to share space. But it managed to ensure our friendship (a first, for me).

Victory - Demographics.jpg

As you can see, Hiwatha and Catherine were top dogs (and making 500+ gold per turn, both of them!), but somehow, they were my friends and didn't use their wealth to take away my CS allies (well, Russia made a half-hearted attempt, but not for long).
After I got Freedom (literally one turn after Brazil got it first :mad:), I managed to make it the World Ideology before half my opponents had picked theirs. This lead to being friends with Russia (even as they and Assyria were exterminating Mongolia) shortly after I opened Rationalism.

Victory - Policies.jpg

My general culture output was somewhat low. My order was Full Tradition, Patronage&Rationalism policies (with a slight detour to Commerce opener around Industrialism), then Freedom tenets until Space Procurements, then go for Mercantilism.
I don't really regret getting those Patronage policies, even for a Science victory. I also felt like those two Rationalism policies were all I needed for a smooth SV game. I do think maybe I could've taken a Liberty opener and built the Pyramids (or take Citizenship) for the sake of better Worker speed. That could've sped things up a bit.

I still feel like I made so many mistakes (shoulda gotten a religion, shoulda built Settlers earlier, shoulda gotten at least one early-era Wonder, shoulda gone for Theology sooner, etc.), but the important thing is that I pay attention to these issues in future games.

Anyway, I'm glad I finally managed to complete a Deity challenge. I failed the Zulu one, but I'm of a mind of giving one of the other ones a try, now.

As a matter of curiosity, does anybody know how much Science do CSes give you with Scholasticism, on average? Would be interesting to know just how much of a difference it makes.

Congrats, JonnasN! Deity does seem overwhelming at first.

I have always considered the victory turn the one when the cup shows up - even though you knew you had the votes the turn before.

In a recent game where I had only 900s bpt and all but 2 original CS allies, Scholasticism only gave me about 150 bpt, about 15%, FWIW...

Turn 242 science victory. I headed southeast with my settler across the river on the copper mountain. It looked to me to have more terrace farm potential as well as picking up an extra sheep and the 6 food TF in the mountain pass. Early game I had a little luck nabbing both russian workers with my scout and warrior. A barb harrassed the russian warriors in pursuit to allow me a clean get away. All was peacefull then as I built 4 settlers and worked toward getting national college up. However, Assyria was not happy with my city that settled on the gems and after I bought the spices and bannanas near his border he became hostile. I bribed Mongolia to war Asssyria which ended with Assyria loosing an expansion. When they made peace, it wasn't long before I saw Assyrian troop movement on my border. I bought one spear and parked him on the iron and finished building a CB the turn he declared on me. I moved a warrior and archer into position, bought 1 more CB, and due to favorable terrain, notable my city being 2 tiles away from river, was able to cut down the attacking army as they crossed the river.
With the Assyriann army cut to pieces and my river valley stained in blood, the leaders of our nations met at the Cusco mountain summit where a peace treaty was worked out that would stand the test of time. Due to the diplomatic swaviness of the Incan leaders over the years, this would be the last time the mountain civilization would be drawn into war.
Early Allies were made with Korea and Brazil, netting a couple research agreements. Later, a friendship with Mongolia, which didn't end in disaster, nettig another RA. one round finished after I built the PT, propeling the civilization into the tech lead. It was all a mater of time at that point...reaserach labs up, winning the worlds fair for extra social policies, pop the scientiest, then with 12,000 gold bank rolled and making 500 gpt in a golden age I bought all space parts once I finnished last tech.

Victory!

Top Bottom