The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 5 - The Inca

T263 Domination Victory
I did it! :woohoo:
Spoiler :

Ancient/Classical Era : Let's start it right this time
I wanted to get a Domination Victory for some time now. After some real failures i thought i was getting better but i had a hard time building enough early units while at the same time building some basic infrastructure (monuments/granary/library, nothing really fancy) and an early NC. I decided to try on this map as Incas can have great production and good growth thanks to the Terrace Farms and early game gold savings with Great Andean Road.
I decided to settle near mountain and wheat. Started research on Mining. Warrior moved to the north and found a ruin that gave me Pottery. Warrior then met Russia. I waited a few turns near her borders and could quickly steal a worker. A second worker got afraid and ran in fear!
Spoiler :

Now i have two early workers. Nice start.
Scouting revealed two great spots for additional cities, all with mountains. One was coastal (and i need a coastal city for Prora). After i found a culture ruin, i opened Tradition for border expansion (i tend to spend way too much gold on tiles purshase without) and then Honor.
My scouts (i built three but one became an archer) met 2 religious CS late and i built a shrine as there wasn't an early pantheon but got late Earth Mother. One of my scouts liberated a worker from Katmandou, could help.
After basic techs, I researched Philosophy then Construction before Education because i wanted my Terrace Farms. I was able to get a good amount of early archers to upgrade to CBs. I was at war with Russia and Ragusa as i stole some workers from both. Russia allied Mombassa and most of my CBs training was done on the later as it was producing more units. At some point i captured a Russian Missionary and used it to lure units. Better than a worker.

My last wandering scout (the one that moved west of the mountain early and met Katmandou before) met the last AI on turn 65 : Sejong! Ouch. He's quite far away, hope he does not get crazy with science.
I built NC at turn 70 followed by Oracle thanks to the great production of Cusco. I managed to get 4th religion and took Ceremonial Burial for happiness and Religious community because you never have too much production. I could never spread much as Hiawata quickly dominated everyone with his Desert Folklore/wonders powered religion so i should have taken Tithe or even Initiation Rites.
Meanwhile, Pedro decided to expand to every available spots and the others for good measure. Planted a city east of the mountain, bad idea!
Spoiler :

Medieval/Renaissance Era : Let's start the conquests ... let's move now ... or next turn
T107 Education wasn't bad considering i went Construction first but i couldn't get to Machinery before around T120 and then Hiawata was already into Renaissance (he got there at T117). On the bright side, since Hiawatha was best in tech, i could safely spy on Sejong.
When i got Machinery, i started marching on Russia. Rolling would be more appropriate as she went Piety, had 3 cities and was last on tech. She was outnumbered and out-teched by my units and it wasn't a hard conquest. Most of my X-Bows got Logistics during the Russian campain and some got Range. On T140 while i was finishing Russia, I joined Gengis against Ashurbanipal. Later he proposed a big city for peace but i wasn't interested in non-capital cities so i took 100 gold and 66 GPT instead. Those GPT really helped me at that time. Meanwhile Sejong went at war with Augustus and wiped Rome out of the game. Well, when i say Sejong wiped Rome, not really ...
Spoiler :

Gengis rolled over Assyria leaving Ashurbanipal with one crappy city to the west near Brazil. He also had captured 3 CS so everyone hate him. I denounced him, finished Russia and on the same turn DoW Gengis to Liberate Monaco. Helped me with warmonger hate but Pedro is becoming extremely cautious about me. I bribed Hiawata to attack him as i suspected heavy tensions between those two. Hiawata hit Brazil really hard and left Pedro with a single city.
My first proposition to the World Congress was Worlds Fair of course. It took quite some time to finish it, AIs were obviously busy. I actually stopped working at it when i realized i had produced nearly half of the requirement all by myself. Several turns later :
Spoiler :

The cutlure really helped me finish Commerce before moving to ideology

Industrial Era : I told you to get moving, what's taking you so long?
It took some time to take Karakorum in the jungle heavy hills (my X-Bows didn't have good sight and their strenght was already low). I got my first 2 artilleries involved in that war after Oxfording Dynamite and they took Assur (from gengis). I could finally take Gengis' main cities (X-Bows still did most of the job) and then liberated an Assyrian city and 2 CSs, eliminating Gengis totally without any diplomatic hit. Ashurbanipal became my best friend and Pedro even decided to support me morally in my war against Gengis!
Spoiler :

Even thought i got to Dynamite first, i was first to Ideology at Turn 184 (3 factories bought the turn i finished my coal mine) so i got 2 free Autocracy Tenets. Of course Hiawata and Sejong both went order and Hiwata was a culture monster so i took some pressure but it was manageable. I had to go for Hiawata after Gengis and the path was narrow. In addition Hiwata was allied with most CS, including those between me and his territory and he had Great Wall! Sejong asked me to join in a war against Iroquois and i thought it was great, but in the end he wasn't very useful and decided to finish Pedro rather than cross the inland see to attack the much bigger Hiawata. Oh well, i finally reluctantly captured the CS south of the mountain and planted 2 citadels to make moving west easier.
Spoiler :

Even then, it took me a long time to move in the Jungle. Also the timer was already counting turns since i got Artilleries and i made the mistake to try and devide my forces (moving them all in the same direction was a pain), half north towards real Iroquois land, half west towards former Brazilian lands. I lost many Gatlings and some cavalries trying to protect my real weapons : the artilleries.
Fortunately i now had the full power of the Honor-Commerce-Autocracy game available. Machu (my coastal city) had Brandeburg gate and with Big Ben and the Autocracy tenets i was buying 75XP units for cheap so i kept sending more cavalries along my roads. Finally, I could take Rio and the southern Iroquois city. I thought it would be easier now but Hiawata was strong. In addition to Onondaga, he had a second big city hidden from my scouting near the mountain. Tons of wonders and at some poing i got a warning that my cities could turn over to him because of unhappiness. A very welcomed Great Writer helped me awaken my citizens patriotic fiber as i took the 2 happiness from military buildings tenet. Took me all the way back to positive hapiness.
My small navy (4 frigates and 2 privateers went to Hiawatas coastal cities) as my army finally took Onondaga with tons of wonders (including Great Wall). At last i could progress faster. I revived Pedro to get another friend.
Spoiler :

Modern/Atomic Era : Are we there already?
All spies were out spying while i was researching the military techs. Sejong helped me with top rows of the tree as he was going his way to the Science techs. I decided to finish Hiawata because even with a few cities he would still be an annoyance with all his CSs and ideological pressure, liberating a few of Pedro's cities to help with Warmonger hate. My CS conquest proved useful in the end as Wellington had some oil that allowed me to produce Great War Bombers. Despite their short range, they were very useful to take the last Iroquois cities.
After Hiwata fell, only Sejong was left. He was ahead of me in techs but i had better military techs. Only his infantries were better but soon after i started attacking him, i could upgrade my Landships to real Tanks and several of my Artilleries and some GW bombers had Logistics. I also allied surrounding CSs with gold and Gunboat Diplomacy so he was attacked from everywhere. Of course, i would not be myself if i didn't mess my end-game in some way. Here i decided to take the long road, crossing the inland see and landing near Jerusalem to attack him from the east rather than walk through all the CSs and attack from the north as i had been unable to scout that area.
Spoiler :

Nice victory and great write-up!

By my calculation, you're only one victory off the front page! ;)

Well, if we get a Huns map for the next DCL, i'll probably try to get another Dom-V. I'm beginning to suspect that the real strength of the Attila is not starting with Animal Husbandry, not the production boost for pastures and not his UUs but being able to raze cities faster!
I never razed so many cities. I decided to keep only capitals (and a few more at the end as bases for my planes) and this allowed me to keep conquering without the need to regain happiness as in previous attempts. That alone made a huge difference.
Of course, 3 cities with observatories made this game easier.

Great write-up, Bob. If I recall, this was a hard map to scout - mtns and cities blocked the way.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of razing, and I'm really looking forward to the Huns as well. It's a very different kind of DomV to any other civ, since you have to start warring a lot earlier. I think Liberty will be a better pick than Honor, for a change.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of razing, and I'm really looking forward to the Huns as well. It's a very different kind of DomV to any other civ, since you have to start warring a lot earlier. I think Liberty will be a better pick than Honor, for a change.

from my experience honor first works just fine with huns .. Record domination win times on deity are huns with honor ...

Well of course. I'm a huge fan of Honor. I tell anyone who's willing to listen to watch your videos and see that for themselves.

But I have a feeling that this next map could be more suitable for Liberty. If you play it with Honor and I go Liberty, then we can compare, can't we? ;)

(not that I am, in terms of quality, at all comparable with your good self)

from my experience honor first works just fine with huns .. Record domination win times on deity are huns with honor ...

I had heard of the sub100 Egypt war chariot win on deity but not one of Huns faster. i think it was t93 or something for Egypt but it was before the last patch iirc. Or maybe not. i am limited to results posted in these forums as I dont stray to other forums very often.

Yeah, I think the fastest is Cromagnus with Huns. T50-something?

T50! I'd bet you need to get your warrior turn to a ram with a ruin for such a quick win.

and peddroelm since you are here i have to thank you for the Honor-Commerce-Autocracy strategy and LPs. it took me some time to get it working but it's a really fun change when you are used to (semi) peaceful tradition-tall turtle game :hatsoff:

T50! I'd bet you need to get your warrior turn to a ram with a ruin for such a quick win.

and peddroelm since you are here i have to thank you for the Honor-Commerce-Autocracy strategy and LPs. it took me some time to get it working but it's a really fun change when you are used to (semi) peaceful tradition-tall turtle game :hatsoff:

I also was able to get a couple of domination wins with a couple of civilizations at the emperor level from watching peddroelm videos..

I can't make head nor tail out of the HOF rankings page as finish times are written in terms of year, like 700AD or whatever, and I can't load the files cuz they need map packs, but it looks like I was wrong about Cromagnus's record. Maybe it wasn't quite as quick as I thought. Still, I think it's clear that sub-T100 Deity Domination wins ARE possible, under good circumstances.

I can't make head nor tail out of the HOF rankings page as finish times are written in terms of year, like 700AD or whatever, and I can't load the files cuz they need map packs, but it looks like I was wrong about Cromagnus's record. Maybe it wasn't quite as quick as I thought. Still, I think it's clear that sub-T100 Deity Domination wins ARE possible, under good circumstances.

What map size was his deity domination victory? You can achieve domination victories faster in smaller maps.

Cromagnus was aiming for, and I think broke, T100 on Standard/Standard.

Turn 289 SV

Spoiler :
Finished this guy without too many concerns about losing. Assurbanipal was being a dick the whole game, veering wildly between friendly and hostile, but I kept paying him and Catherine off (even though I don't think I needed to pay Catherine, I'm a little gunshy). I was overrun on turn 297 of the Brazil DCL, so I've been trying to figure out what I need to do to keep that from happening. I've decided to embroil neighbors in war, and pay them off, and get nuclear weapons. I reloaded the Brazil scenario at a significantly earlier date, and developing nucs had the unexpected effect of a cascade of offers for friendship, even from earlier hostiles. That allowed me to borrow a ton, and launch for an SV in the Brazil scenario. So I decided to try that here, and it worked pretty much as planned.

The best perk was that I was able to launch all my nuclear missiles at Assur and Hiawatha (?), for stealing my land with 5 GG bombs, just as I blasted off. Let them harvest the radioactive fruits of the Earth, while I enjoy the green and red women of Alpha Centauri! or whatever the hell luxury resources you mine in BE.

Hello everyone!Very long time lurker here,first post actually:)I mostly lurk around HoF,GoTm and Strategy and Tips subforums,but since i finally acquired all needed DLS's i've decided to give it a go,because i really like the idea behind the Deity Challenge Lineups.To avoid any further annoyance,i'll stop rambling and report about my game ^^.

Anyhow,it was a standard 3 city NC opener(which was hardbuilt on turn 76,afterwards i added a 4th city(the coastal one).Pretty standard tech rate,got Education on turn 111,but i guess that is ok since i've made a detour to construction,bronzeworking(and also sailing:) )

After that i've noticed that HG is still around so i thought why not,turns out we get it on turn 91 i believe.Which is nice..Hiawatha entered Renessaince on the turn i've got Edu so first spy goes to Onondaga,we manage to steal banking from him and enter a new era,by then we were only third in literacy which i believe is really good!Afterwards we follow with a Leaning tower,from which we take a Great Engineer as a free Gp of choice,whose tremendous production potential was used to grab the Sistine Chapel on the next turn(dunno why i've done this,since i've actually started the game with the intention of SV,but oh well,who can resist such a nice wonder ^^ )

We then entered the Industrial era first through Scientific Theory(turn161 bulbed GS)In the meantime machu was slowly building PT,which we also got a few turns later.
When PT was done,i decided to vote for WF,which ofcourse passed,and though i delayed my labs(one was bought on turn 193 in Cusco,we've decided to fully commit to this project,which turned out to be succesful and we actually won!

Until this stage of the game,we've only had one war way beyond in classical era against Assurbanipal who attacked us,but haven't done anything,so we got a peace deal and were actually good friends until the modern era(hence not so peaceful in the title ^:),where the great leader of Assyrian people decided to steal our horses with a Great general.
This was too much of a rotten diplomacy so we decided that is the best interest of our people to denounce them,which we did on the next turn,while preparing for the imminent war!
At the time we were only about 3 turns away from the Ballistics tech,so with the consultation of our empire's advisors we decided that it is actually rather wise to wait for those AA's and attack then,which we did.

The war was short but devastating,rocket artilleries are not are really strong,while Assurbanipal threw all types of units in his struggle at me,there were few cannons,also one trebuchet,and some GWI's which was all rather weak for my Bomber,Rocket Arti,Infantry combo(funny thing,my best friend in this game Cathy actually paid 12 gpt to me for DOW-ing Assurbanipal,that was a first timer:)),it lasted about 20 turns,and Assyria lost their capital,and 3 more cities(one was my ex ally Monaco,whom he captured during the war,so i decided to liberate it,and make peace afterwards.

Everything went according to the plan,and MOnaco was our ally throughout the rest of the game.The whole game was going like a breeze,with no major incidents,steady tech lead throughout the entire game,and a strong economy/infrastructure.

The launch was obviously delayed,as even a noob like me could've gotten a sub t260 on this godly map with this godly civ,but i messed up a bit,and also gotten into a war,but i justify these things with my need for the fun,since i am nowhere near the level of some ppl posting here,and also i am not that obsessed with turn times,and i just wanted to maximize my fun(btw this was my first game with Inca,since i got the DLC's few days ago,so i was super excited)

Oh,and one more thing,the preparation for war was very funny,since i was obviously the first to adopt ideology,i took Freedom ofcourse,but the pressure was real,and at the point where i was even considering flipping i got a SP,so i took volunteer army,and thus my 6 infantry units ,i've only built AA's 1 fighter and 4 Bombers,the next turn i switched to Order,could've probably managed to stay Freedom but didn't want to suffer that much so i just decided to give in to my love with Cathy ! :)
Beyond are some pics of the game,unfortunately i haven't made early game pics,which might have been interesting,but i forgot in all the ectasy:)
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

I almost forgot,ended with 7 citiens,SP's were Full Trad,Full Ratio,6 order,Aesthetics opener(don't ask xD)
Wonders built:Sistine Chapel,Great Firewall,Hanging Garderns,Hubble Space Telescope,Leaning Tower of Pisa,Taj Mahal,Statue of Liberty,and my personal fav Neuschwanstein ! :)

Top Bottom