The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game #8 - Mongolia

I barely missed the sub-200 victory, got Turn 200 exactly. At one point, it looked like it was going to be over around T180, but I ran into serious issues during the last thirty turns.

Spoiler :
Conquered Elizabeth very early with chariot archers, Turn 95. Chivalry came two turns later, so the great Keshik upgrade began. Next came Montezuma, who got the great wall in my game. Normally, I would consider leaving the Great Wall alone until much later, but Poland was a complete runaway, and Montezuma was between me and Poland, so he needed to go. His army was easily destroyed, so it was just a matter of avoiding deaths from the great wall. Tenochtitlan was captured T121. Then, I started building the long road west to Warsaw.

The terrain approaching Warsaw was pretty rough to get through, so I had to use great general bombs to secure the roads at key river crossings, and also had to decimate Maria along the way, as she was just in the way, and was clearly going to mount an attack on my army, which was actually just passing through the area for once. I destroyed her entire army and then left her with just her capital, planning to swing back around to pick that up on the way to Attila’s court. At this point, I was pressing pretty hard to get to Warsaw before his unique lancer unit showed up. Warsaw fell on T153, and lancers showed up not long after. Just in time.

Peace terms with Poland were pretty odd, it was either all his money or Attila’s Court. Why not both? I show have pushed for better terms, but time was marching on, and although I was not concerned about the Inca, Alex had been left untouched in the corner for quite some time, and he was clearly in the tech lead, so I knew I would be facing rifles. Getting Attila’s court made the Inca capital trivial, and I was thinking the game would be over somewhere around T185. Cusco and Lisbon were both down by T176.

I knew to keep some peacekeepers around with Deity, but I sort of underestimated, or should I say, did not fully anticipate what would come next. Something was telling me I should have secured another Polish city, and then basically all hell broke loose when I declared war on Greece, and the Polish peace treaty was up. Everyone decided that it was time to get their lands back, even Elizabeth attempted a pretty good push on London. Where in the heck did those units came from Elizabeth? I will never know. I sort of suspect that Alex bankrolled the whole thing. Poland clearly had lancers, and a lot of them, so my peacekeepers were pushed to the absolute limit. There were too many puzzles to work out each turn, and I did not notice one of the city states that Alex bribed was very close to Lisbon. I thought Lisbon was secure with a Cavalry unit, but it managed to capture Lisbon using a privateer that was in a foggy portion of the map, taking my Cavalry unit with it. :goodjob:

The city capture rate had clearly slowed down dramatically. I wanted to push hard on Athens, but rifles and lancers were out and about in the lands of Greece, so I started using my GS bulbs to get up to Artillery, just in case. I also had to start playing every turn VERY carefully, as my army of super-keshiks were at the end of their lifespan. In reality, I did not need artillery, but lancers and cavalry were absolutely required to push through the more advanced Greek army.

I think the key to this game was securing river crossings via citadels. But, there was definite room for improvement in my play. I should have constructed a second army to take on Greece/Inca while going after Poland. The limiting factor was horses, which I should have prioritized much higher in my planning. I sort of thought horses would just come naturally via conquest, from either the Aztecs or Portugal, but I think I was a bit too trigger-happy with razing cities to control happiness. Also, don't leave the runaway with too many cities, or there will be a counter-attack. I should have also gone full honor, but instead I went Liberty and left side of honor (more experience, more great generals).

@Nigel

Spoiler :
I also found the polish lancers very hard to deal with because of the unique ability. I was having trouble with them pushing units around. It is hard to defend positions, when units are constantly getting pushed out of position, or isolated from the pack. I had to face a VERY large number of them during a polish counter-attack, but fortunately it was after I had already taken Warsaw. I don't know what their actual stats are, but the only bright spot was that they seemed to fail at taking cities :p. Quite a few of them were throwing themselves at Warsaw's walls/castle. For once, thank you puppet, for building that castle.

From my play-through, I think fighting the Hussar requires a much sturdier, and possibly disposable unit, like Cavalry, just to protect cities. If cavalry gets pushed around, at least it can get back into position. The Keshiks were just too vulnerable, so I just kept them in cities, or on roads, but many, many tiles away. If you keep them on roads, they can still run in from long distance, take a few shots, and then run away.

AI lancers/winged hussars is why you need lancer tech (bulb scientists//burn Oxford - is the last tech you'll need on pangea) .. Provides ultra mobile disposable meatshields and speedy city capturers.. Bonus points with commerce (upgrade from cheap landsknechts to also get free pillage - of which you should take full advantage to get your money back). They get 5 moves with Mongolia ... Cavalry can serve similar purpose (at low XP ) or even be dangerous to cities (if gotten early enough with statue of Zeus) when upgraded from uber keshiks (attack city) - pillage (+25 HP) and end turn next to khan (+25 HP) ..

Hey everybody, I've been busy with work lately and won't be able to host game #9. I'm out of state right now and the current laptop I'm using for work and probably wouldn't run Civ V if I tried. If someone else would like to post a game, feel free. If not, I will try to pick it back up later on. Thanks

Am I mistaken or does healing only work when the unit does absolutely nothing during the turn? I didn't think you could heal after using some of your movement points like that.

Hey everybody, I've been busy with work lately and won't be able to host game #9. I'm out of state right now and the current laptop I'm using for work and probably wouldn't run Civ V if I tried. If someone else would like to post a game, feel free. If not, I will try to pick it back up later on. Thanks

I can post a game tomorrow if no one else wants to or have a map at hand. And in case no one else is willing to take the modest task I'm open for suggestions in regards of the preferred civ etc.

Oh can we play Gandhi lol I know most people don't like them but I really like to see what people do with them!? I like to try to expand with them even though it causes all kinds of problems :)

I'm fine with Gandhi as I was hoping something a little less a walkover for a change. My initial thought was to roll something crappy with Rome. More suggestions?

I'd like to see Morocco and find out how many people actually built Petra

@Fluphen Azine
Spoiler :
Thanks for the pep talk. I'm sure I could have won eventually, I just got really tired of the grind. I only had 4 Arty down S, 3 were up N by Tenochtitlan which he almost took. The first several turns he swarmed extremely well, and it wasn't until he had health down to 10-20% that he didn't have melee next door. I think had I postponed Attila and hit Casmir's N expo first, I would have had a much more defensible spot (He Citadeled, and tried to Citadel my luxes by the lake), plus I would have kept my CS ally. But he was still at war in the W with Portugal, so I went for it thru Attila.

I only upgraded my new Keshiks to Cav at first - the original ChA's with all the promos were useful, but I couldn't effectively fight the Hussars, and needed more punch to take cities, so after 5-10 turns I upgraded them too. Lancers were almost useless in battle.

... Lancers were almost useless in battle.

Very rarely it pays to attack with them (finish off isolated units) . Their main purpose is getting hit instead of the keshiks//xbows//artillery - and pillaging every tile they can get their greedy hooves on .

As for the next challenge - Rome could be interesting for me (doesn't synergize much with the style of game I like to play) .. Legions and (less so) ballistas ) are obsolete by medieval era, honor capital is the weakest (Roman empire needs a strong capital ) ..

Ghandi would probably work better - 2-3 elephants upgraded to march logistics + xbows , no dependence on strategic resources ..

How about a well balanced continents map (4/4 or 3/5 civs on each continent) with a civ we haven't played yet that has no direct bonuses to navy?

I suggest a Continents map. The last couple were pangeas.

If/when I'm the Dictator of Maps the chance of getting Pangaea is extremely small

I'd like to see Morocco and find out how many people actually built Petra

I wouldn't mind Morocco either but rolling a map with Petra potential is unlikely to the bad enough for my liking so I'll leave this to Dingle. Getting Petra in any game still depends on more about the AI than one's own actions

Originally Posted by Nigel_Tufnel
... Lancers were almost useless in battle.
Very rarely it pays to attack with them (finish off isolated units) . Their main purpose is getting hit instead of the keshiks//xbows//artillery - and pillaging every tile they can get their greedy hooves on .

Part of me is still in the vanilla mind set when Lancer was only slightly stronger than Scout while I actually use them a lot and mostly like Pedro describes above. I rarely build'em but upgraded double cover Pikes are excellent soaking ranged attacks & running away while making few bucks.

How about a well balanced continents map (4/4 or 3/5 civs on each continent) with a civ we haven't played yet that has no direct bonuses to navy?

I was actually thinking of std small continents with low sea level and an extra AI in hope of getting a 3/3/3 map but the civ will surely be something that hasn't been used yet in this series. I won't play the map in advance more than few turns tops so I probably can't guarantee evenly spread civs but 6/2 is uncommon anyway and 3/2/3 can make an interesting setup.
And if Dingle is reading and have a plan of using any particular civ in certain scenario let me know so I won't accidentally screw your plans.

@peddroelm

> Their main purpose is getting hit instead of the keshiks//xbows//artillery - and pillaging every tile they can get their greedy hooves on .

Spoiler :
Lancers are pretty cheap, so that probably is the better way to go. Toward the end, I started using cavalry as meat shields, and then lancers to chase down wounded Hussars / Greek units, and then to pillage. If the lancer dies, they are pretty disposable, so not a big loss.

Winged Hussars are sort of odd, because they are specifically anti-mounted unit, but can also push units around. So, it was sort of dilemma as to what to use to defend against them for meat shielding - cavalry, muskets, or lancers? Muskets were just getting pushed out of the way, sometimes right out of their citadels. Cavalry could take the blows and get back into position, but were taking heavy hits. Do lancers get an anti-mounted bonus? It made for some interesting gameplay, I will say that :lol:

Either way, I am pretty sure Nigel has more than enough tech to win, it just looks like he needs a beach head of some sort.

Well i dont like domination so i did a science game of this before the new challenge

Science T282

Spoiler :
i just build up a bit, killed england with keshiks and raised some useless Aztec cities along the way but rest of the game was very peaceful, because i spend a LOT on bribing.
The powerhouse poland hated me most of the game but i did revert him to Order and in the late game he was my best buddy.

Spoiler :

Well i did not build any units past these keshiks and i kept them in case the Aztecs attack again ;) And the units aroudn Beshbalik were all donated by the military CS. There were 4 more infantries below the Screenshot ;)

Top Bottom