The European Project: the future of the EU.

Here a nice vid on the EU.
NOT on how it is organised, and HOW your vote counts, but what the close cooperation of EU members delivers cq faciliates/encourages to be delivered by members. The development, pooling and applying of knowledge at EU scale.
The EU as area where individuals can live their lifes freely and can be inspired to contribute something to their fellow EU citizens and the world.

Here an article on it and some comments of Rem Koolhaas (born 1944 in Rotterdam, the Netherlands), mainly architect of profession. He did not only live 4 years in his youth in Indonesia, was a journalist in the Netherlands, but also lived in a long time in the UK and is now professor at Harvard.
The typical global citizen believing in a better world from a privileged background of being born in a developed rich country, middle class parents, health, white, male, free education, talents and energy in the post WW2 peace period of the western world.
Eurolab was an initiative of De Balie, a [typical leftish] debating centre in Amsterdam. They invited Wolfgang Tillmans, Stephan Petermann and I to work with creatives to show the positive impact of Europe and the EU. We wanted to make sure people voted in the forthcoming European elections, especially young people. In the current media landscape I think that there is a real shortage of concise, understandable and appealingly designed information.
https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...-britain-transformed-for-the-better-by-europe

I guess nobody outside the Netherlands really knows this guy, so here a list of buildings:
Rem Koolhaas (Rotterdam, 1944) founded OMA in 1975 together with Elia and Zoe Zenghelis and Madelon Vriesendorp. He graduated from the Architectural Association in London and in 1978 published Delirious New York: A Retroactive Manifesto for Manhattan. In 1995, his book S,M,L,XL summarized the work of OMA in "a novel about architecture". He co-heads the work of both OMA and AMO, the research branch of OMA, operating in areas beyond the realm of architecture. His built work includes the Qatar National Library and the Qatar Foundation Headquarters (2018), Fondation Galeries Lafayette in Paris (2018), Fondazione Prada in Milan (2015/2018), Garage Museum of Contemporary Art in Moscow (2015), the headquarters for China Central Television (CCTV) in Beijing (2012), Casa da Musica in Porto (2005), Seattle Central Library (2004), and the Netherlands Embassy in Berlin (2003). Current projects include the Taipei Performing Arts Centre, a new building for Axel Springer in Berlin, and the Factory in Manchester. Koolhaas directed the 2014 Venice Architecture Biennale, is a professor at Harvard University, and is preparing a major exhibition for the Guggenheim museum to open in 2019 entitled Countryside: Future of the World.
https://oma.eu/partners/rem-koolhaas

Last edited:
Unfortunately the political situation in the EU is such that Macron sits in the left half of the political spectrum in parliament.

Yes, the political situation of the EU is such that elected representatives in Spain's parliament and senate are political prisoners. Which is all fine and dandy as far as the EU is concerned.

Granted, it would be attacked also if it took, as an institution, a position against this. But it just shows how intractable the problems are.

Yes, the political situation of the EU is such that elected representatives in Spain's parliament and senate are political prisoners. Which is all fine and dandy as far as the EU is concerned.

Granted, it would be attacked also if it took, as an institution, a position against this. But it just shows how intractable the problems are.

In another Guardian article: (about Farage's speech)

Guardian said:
*We originally reported here that the former Czech politician appearing tonight was Václav Havel. It was, in fact, Václav Klaus. Havel died in 2011.

:lol:
At least the Guardian didn't think that Beria was there.

Last edited:
You can't expect presstitutes do do much diligence in checking sources, they're used to just rewriting stories.

Not that they are all bad, there are still some good journalists. We can still read pieces about how out liberal and lawful nations are doing stuff from holding political prisoners to protecting war criminals. But 99% of the electrons are spend on pieces about how evil the dictator of "targeted country of the day" is and how we the righteous ones must topple him for the sake of "human rights".
Can't blame them too much, they know what happens to those who dare to publish evidence about war crimes.

Last edited:

There is more !

A Vienna lawyer says he was involved in the video sting that brought down far-right leader Heinz-Christian Strache.
The lawyer - named by Germany's Bild newspaper as Ramin Mirfakhrai - said it was a "civil society-driven project in which investigative-journalistic approaches were taken".
However the statement does not reveal who was ultimately behind the sting operation, or who paid for it.
The scandal has led to the collapse of Austria's coalition government.
Chancellor Sebastian Kurz is facing a no-confidence vote in parliament on Monday.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-48407723

This was one of the reasons I wanted to be dead-sure about the legal value of "illegally" obtained hard info by citizens.

During my neighborhood community volunteer activities (early 80ies) I learned that getting the right info and being able to leverage that in court cases was of much more value when defending citizens rights and citizens positions (in my neighborhood) than whining at sitting politicians (echo chamber whining the most useless aspect of all... you don't need much of that to get new volunteers... and wrong whining delivers you talkers instead of do-ers). Traditional protest actions and discussions into political party member bases are fine for change forward of mindsets (only).
Besides the in-flow of abuse and injustice from our neighborhood citizens, much of our key info to do something about it was coming from "informants" that worked as civil servants or info-rich function in Civil Society. And there was nothing sneaky or illegal about those "informants" because of the (hard battled for) Law on public information in the Netherlands, that allows a citizen access to even the yellow memo stickers on his monitor used by a civil servant to write documents or reports to policy civil servants and politicians. This public info access is also a paramount important protection for whistleblowers. When organisations know from whistleblowers/informants where to look and what to ask, the informant does not need to become a whistleblower (ending mostly their jobs). It is our RIGHT to know.
And yes... good relations to our "social lawyer" organisations were fundamental as well.

Part of my activities were very much inspired by Guenter Wallraff, a German undercover journalist. (although I felt most of my time spend was more that of a HR-manager for our roughly 300 people strong volunteer organisation).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Günter_Wallraff
His relevations showing perfectly how clogged the info stream from workers councils, trade unions, official civil society studies, newsmedia, etc, etc up to politics can be about abusive behaviour in companies.

If our formal society is not active enough in dealing with liers and corruption.... there is a huge potential for ordinary citizens to do something.
The surplus of that incl self-confidence and ignoring rule of law by populist right wing politicians should make them an easy prey.

Last edited:
Participation at noon in France is way higher than 5 years ago. Not sure what it'll mean in the end though.

Not sure, and France is a special place since the gilets jaunes are not running.

An interesting article on where the European parties are located ideologically over time: https://www.republik.ch/2019/05/13/die-europaeischen-parteien-im-zeitraffer. it's in German and only goes up to 2017, but interesting nevertheless. If you scroll down, you see it change over time. What's interesting is that even the British Labour are way eurosceptical. Here's the last picture for everyone too lazy, but still wanting to comment.

Attachments

• Download.png
    Download.png
    86.8 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Well i did go vote - though i didn't plan to.
Mostly voted so that my most recent vote wouldn't be the 2014(?) one for first time elected Syriza, you know that party which turned to absolute garbage after it capitulated to everything and kicked out anyone with half a spine or conscience.

Projections for Germany are in.
Another rough election for the SPD. They really need to get out of the coalition. It's just an abusive relationship by now.
Strange how they lost so many more votes than the CDU which got in a twitter war with 70 of Germany's biggest youtubers last week.
At least the Greens did really well and only 10% proved themselves to be total trash.

Projections for Germany are in.
Another rough election for the SPD. They really need to get out of the coalition. It's just an abusive relationship by now.
Strange how they lost so many more votes than the CDU which got in a twitter war with 70 of Germany's biggest youtubers last week.
At least the Greens did really well and only 10% proved themselves to be total trash.

AFD rises strongly? Seems germans learned nothing at all.

AFD rises strongly? Seems germans learned nothing at all.

compared to summer last year, when the AFD had 16% of the votes, the 10.5% is actually more a downfall.

The nazier the better, amirite

I am not that worried about that 10% of trash and clowns.

What I do find important is that fringe right-wing within the CDU-CSU cannot use the threat of a growing AFD as argument to pull the CDU-CSU more to the right.

BTW
What happens in Belgium regarding fringe right wing is likely much more concerning.
A complicated and mixed bag what is happening there... could well be the end of PM Charles Michel as well. Macron will in that case miss his ALDE-liberal companion.

Top Bottom