The Faeries

Tannen,
I'm not sure if it is WAD, but I had the same issue: Great under summer (grass w/ forest = nice size city), Great under winter (fallow = stayed a nice size city from summer and no need for food), went to hell under eternal because I could not produce enough food to support my city.

yeah, exactly that happened to me too.
i'm gonna change it so i have the fallow trait with eternal court too.

also big cities+fallow+theocracy is sick, you get so much gold it's not even funny. like 100% research and still ~500 gold/turn

perheps im dump, but with -1 strength every unit except the red-promoted becomes nearly useless. a strength 2 warrior has no chance against any unit. If you're not lucky to get a +2fire promoted, your first city wont see turn 60. Perhaps lower the bonus from +2 fire/ice to +1 but remove the -1 overall.

If your happy, get your red-faery and research hunting, the game is over. Erkling is too strong for a time mostly every other civ has only warriors. But i like that his riders are no longer permanent.

yeah they are kinda weak at start, but if you got like 3+ nature nodes and iron working/dryad you're good.

A minor suggestion maybe, but wouldnt "The Fey" be a cooler name than "The Faeries"?

Actually yes. In D&D they are also called like that. Faeries sounds like it heavily hurt the princess rule :D.
Yeah and Summer/Winter/Eternal Court should be balanced to make Eternal clearly the best. In D&D the Feywild is a more intense version of reality and the Fey are nearly godlike beings (I suppose this could mean that they have already reached Eternal Court). More intense could mean a bonus for the respective terrain type (like +2 :food: for grassland and +2 :hammers: for snow - a pity that you can't do that as there can't be multiple civs gaining boni from a terrain. Of course you could introduce functional identical terrains with another name). Flavorwise it would be the coolest if switching to eternal court converted half of your terrain to snow and half your terrain to grassland. This way you have a good production output and a good food output.

To be honest, I don't really think there's any real way to balance this out without having a supremely well thought out plan and outline. Someone like me. But even then, I doubt I can make it great.

Nobody has seemed to comment on how fast the forests grow in when playing the Faeries.

I'm still a newb when it comes to Wildmana, but I noticed that my warriors have different colors. One in particular, the green promotion, got me thinking. I wonder if you can use these units to drive a forest chop/overflow economy...

Well, long story short, the answer is yes, but not really from the green units, although they can increase the efficiency.

Ok, I will preface this by saying this requires a ton of micro, and I have only studied this in detail in the worldbuilder, but it seems the natural forest growth rate of the faeries, coupled with the green units forest growth ability makes forests a truly sustainable resource. I would almost go as far as saying if you aren't chopping the forests down, you aren't getting the most out of your faeries.

It turns out that you can dedicate between 6 and 7 workers to forest chopping in each BFC using the faeries natural forest growth alone. That is anywhere between 30 and 45 hammers a turn of extra production (depending of whether you research archery). These are real early hammers (around turn 50).

Green fairy units also increase the odds of a forest growing. I'm not sure the exact odds, but from what I've seen its about 50%, possibly less. So a conservative estimate is that each green unit in the field can support one extra worker constantly chopping. So instead of garrisoning these units, have them wander about the BFC replanting forests.

Need cash fast? Queue up a warrior and have all your workers synchronize their chopping. You get one warrior and a fair bit of overflow gold. You don't need to build a warrior either, any building with three turns left will do (taking into consideration chop time). I was chopping with ten workers and getting about 150 gold.

Naturally that's not all your workers will be doing. You going to want to build cottages and roads and the like, but while you do this the forests will be growing back like mad ready for another round of clear-cutting.

Ok, now I'm ready to be shot down. This strategy does not work with FoL. Also, you cannot put chop hammers directly into wealth/science/culture, but that would be totally broken anyway. You need to produce warriors or have a building queued that is only 1 turn away from completion at the time the chops are complete to get overflow income, so its tricky to derive an actual economy from this. Also, unit upkeep is the real issue here. Balancing unit upkeep and all the worker actions is a challenge. This strategy does not work during winter court either.

I've played a few games this way and found that I run out of things to produce. The production is huge and it ramps up very fast, but without the research to back it up it runs into a wall. Bee-lining to education helps.

Micromanaging all this is tedious. I typically build a road on each tile when I'm done chopping the first time. This makes the process more efficient (can chop every three turns instead of four). I beeline to education and build cottages on the grasslands in between chops. Then I chop out anything I need. When I get more then 5 workers I can start synchronizing the chops to get overflow income.

I'd like to hear your suggestions on where to go with this. Perhaps there is a research line that makes this strategy particularly strong.

Angst,

while testing the faeries i had noticed that i could chop down a forest, and before i could build an improvement, there was a high percentage that it would grow back first or even during. Ive always been a believer in chopping forest for efficient city production, and almost never build a road or chop a forest without it directly going to help a city improvement.

however, i have not made a science out of it..... haha... look forward to seeing how far you take this ......

Switching from Winter to Summer court... when do water tiles start producing food again?

When I switched to Winter Court, my cities started dying as they still required food - I did not notice I got the fallow trait...

wapamingo,

My cities got the fallow trait with winter, it is switching to Eternal that straight kills me, tiles do not switch back from ice/snow (whatever it is) so I have nowhere near enough food since the fallow trait seems to go away with the eternal court. I get lots of cool eternal forest, but not enough food to keep my cities a decent size.

wapamingo,

My cities got the fallow trait with winter, it is switching to Eternal that straight kills me, tiles do not switch back from ice/snow (whatever it is) so I have nowhere near enough food since the fallow trait seems to go away with the eternal court. I get lots of cool eternal forest, but not enough food to keep my cities a decent size.

Gonna start with a game of fearies soon.. Does that basically mean that before going to eternal, first be summer so all tiles are grass?

Gonna start with a game of fearies soon.. Does that basically mean that before going to eternal, first be summer so all tiles are grass?

yes since they do not turn to grass land like in summer court. I still think land should be auto converted to 10% snow, 25% tundra, 25% plains, and 40% grassland in eternal court and still have a +1 food for snow.

I noticed the following things:

(1) Summer --> Winter ; cities dying (at least in my game) due to food consumption still required
(2) Summer --> Eternal ; everything started changing to eternal woods / never never but food was still a requirement so cities were dying but not as bad as in winter
(3) Troll cannot be built even with all the pre-requisites
(4) Fae Lord summons 2 ice elementals when under Eternal court
(5) Eternal court gives "Fae" trait that gives +2 duration to summons
(6) Eternal --> Summer ; everything stayed eternal woods / never never (should be changing back go grasslands)

A minor suggestion maybe, but wouldnt "The Fey" be a cooler name than "The Faeries"?

I completely agree. The calabim aren't "The Vampires" and the clan of embers isn't called "The Orcs" :lol: it would be more fitting to go with "The Fey" or "The Wild Fey"... something along those lines

Playing the fay currently. I have just completed winter restoration and Im doing summer restoration. what I see is all the point of winter court is to construct the restoration. There is no other reason why you would use it. And it must be done quickly. May be if you allow 1 food per ice... As it is now, only to delay you. I was third and now I am almost the last in the list. Even a poor nation with 3 cities went above me as I loosed time with winter restoration. I even choped down most woods to make it quickly.

Some odd efects:
1) some tiles, when back to prairies, remained with no food on city view, even when showing full food on general view. So I couldnt use them and had to go into world builder, erase them and restore them again (one was a bison in middle of rivers). That way they recovered the food production.
Edit: It seems to happen with tiles that remained green in middle of winter.
2) the fay that went to winter and back retained the winter promotions toghether with summer promotions. Specially my pixies.

You cant upgrade warriors to pixies, which makes my level 7 warrior useless now that wild things are level 4 or 5. So I have to save him till I can upgrade to summer/winter lord?

As said before, I went low in the list. I dont researched archery nor religion, in fact I loosed the FoL which I wanted, but other way I would have no winter restoration. I only have bronze working which gives me pixies, but no hunters nor archers nor nothing more.
I am in a good position, far from strong enemies and my neighbor is the 3 cities Liosarjfar (he has the stravalfar pressing from the other side), and thats why I tried winter asap.

By the way, the Liosalfar and the fay have the same cultural color so the borders merge. Please change that.

One more: if you use commando promotion after coming back to summer, it is removed every time from your unit, I know cause I have a hero promoted adventurer and I loosed the promotion twice. (I had to load a previous game to recover the hero before wasting those promos ;)

I like the Fey but they do not feel finished to me. They have so many units that are just not faeries, what are they?

I like that your faeries get stronger the more you change between summer and winter court. Perhaps give even more incentive to change back and forth. Perhaps make cities grow very fast during summer court so you only need to have it for 10 turn to reach max size and give some eco/prod like +2 prod on snow boost to make winter court a better choice when not needing your cities to grow. Perhaps make even more colours so that your old faeries get very strong if you continue to change court every 10 turns.

Also the AI prefers winter court above summer court which is quite suicidal.

Top Bottom