The Faeries

Really request that the fairies start getting their own art for warriors and other units. It can be rather frustrating to see elves when they're not elves.

im very close to completing this actually :) ill post an upload for it soon :)

- An abduction mechanic. The most easy way to do this is to give the fairies a slave UU. Hunters and Trackers (or their respective UUs) could have different ways of getting those. Summer court hunters (Changelings) could, for example, sacrifice themselves in an opponent's city to create two of these slaves in your capital. Winter court hunters have a certain chance to generate a slave in battle. Et cetera.
- Those slaves can upgrade to the melee and archery lines. Units upgraded to those should be weaker, especially when attacking cities, but should cost reduced support or something. The Fey should have no way to actually build those lines, just upgrade to them by way of abductees. The Pixie/Sprite line would be the replacement for your mounted line then, and should behave at least partially like it (withdrawal chances, increased movement, the works - iirc, they already do a bit). Make a chariot UU that behaves a little more like melee and all is well.

Maybe a shapeshifting mechanic?
How about making the Faeries very limited in units (nearly everything blocked, melee-wise anyway), but having some sort of small "spirit" creature that can become another unit that's in the same tile.
This way, a spirit could walk into a rival's land, find an axeman, shapeshift and go back to its town so other spirits can become axemen too. Spirits would be rather cheap to produce, but the shapeshifting takes a few turns as well and the resulting unit would never be able to use any type of metal weapons. Certain buildings/techs/spells can reduce the shapeshifting time or give some sort of promotions to the shapeshifted unit to make up for the loss in bronze/iron/mithril.

Basically any system that prevents the whole "Faery warrior going head to head with Orc Warrior and beating the crap out of him" as Faeries are supposed to be squishy little things with wings.

I dunno if you're going to change that, but since we're going to have new scout/warrior for fey, actually make them fey as well. For now, we can't upgrade them to any fairy type, wich makes this units pretty useless, since is better aim to the fairy lords.
Maybe add an event like that when we kill goblin to change the race of the unit, that have the possibility to change the race of the unit in Never Never/Eternal Woods and/or other terrains.

heres a few more bits ive done for the faeries

Worker - Settler

------------------Sprite - Dryad - Summer Lord

Warrior--------------------------------------------Fae Lord

------------------Pixie - Furie - Winter Lord

-------Hunter - Ranger - Beastmaster - Druid

Scout

------Horseman - Moon Faerie - Sun Faerie - Fetch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

im unsure what to do for archers andmage lines

EDIT: btw, the dragonny looking things with the recon line and horsemen are supposed to be faerie dragons :p i would ideally like to get a satyr to ride the faerie dragons in the horseman graphic but im unsure how.

Attachments

• teaser1.jpg
    teaser1.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 418
  • teaser2.jpg
    teaser2.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 457
if you upload the files i will try to do it :)

edit: please upload the lords, fearies and the Larincsidhe as well i would like to test some changes

Very cool, guys. Very cool work, great ideas about the mechanic. I always found them interesting (faeries is way to much against the princess-rule, call them the Fey, works also fine with irish fairy-tales :) ) but just played them a few times because of the annoying graphic. Now I can't wait to try them again. Will this be merged into 9.0 beta and final version or do I have to unzip it manually?

Thanks again,

Tschuggi

I'm not particularly interested in this modmod, but I would not mind having the Dryad art files posted so I could use them for the Dryad (Kuriotates Druid UU) in my modmod

@ Tesb: would you like me to upload the code ive changed as well as graphics? i made a few new units so that warriors and scouts actually are able to be upgraded.

no problem :) if you like those would you like me to do any other units?

If you want I would love if you would do some of the Mazatl units that looks like humans. I like the Mazatl but I get annoyed when I have units that look like generic humans.

@The changer
i looked over the files quickly but here are some hints:
-you only need the animation file once, as of now each model contains the same animation files which is just unnecessary usage, also the subfolder of each fairy: original textures is not used but in every single model, those can be deleted. your files are rather large (my unit packs are usually half as big)
-the files are rather big, since they contain photoshop images and *.bmp (i recommend you only use *.dds as textures)

if you want i can do all that stuff and reupload the files :)

edit: to be honest wildmana suffers quite a bit under similar issues i will try to fix is in the future i guess one can free some memory

thanks for the tips tseb :) i wasnt sure if you would want the photoshop textures or just the dds files so i kept those, didnt know about the animations only being needed once though :)

@The Changer
1) Graywarden noticed that the Button of the warrior and the scout are the same. i will make a different button and upload it here in case you want to use it somewhere else

2) Do you intend to change the art for the archers and longbowmen? currently they are elves. if you want i can try to make a retexture of an archer to make him more faye like, but if this is intended i will not touch this.

3) have you changed the wings of the L. unit? i may do so if you give me permission and chance it to something more like a butterfly.

here is the fae scout button:

Attachments

• fae-scout.bmp
    12.1 KB · Views: 319
  • fae-scout.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 52
you can also do a archer yourself:

1) take an existing archer and remove the model, so that only the bones remain
2) open one of your fearies and copy branch the model and paste it in archer nif (attach it to the some already existing node
3) now attach each bone of your feary to the according bone of your archer
4) you can now use the archer animation set with the feary model

alternatively you can just reskin an archer model.

thanks for the tip about re-boning the archers tesb. ive never done anything like that before so ill give it a shot today :).

I made a re-texture for L.'s wings as energy, not feathers which i thought looked ok. i did try to reskin them to be like butterfly wings but the animation for the angel wings makes such a reskin very very strange. you are more than welcome to change anything ive uploaded though :)

EDIT: looks like the bone structure in the faerie and archers are very different... do you think it would be difficult to add effects the the fae attacks so the 'archer' line is not really shooting arrows but magical bolts? im thinking blue lightning on their hands than when they attack they shoot bolts of lightning or something along those lines (fire, star particles etc). ive never done particle effects or anything like that on units before either, so if you'd like me to do it ill need a fair bit of coaching :p

Top Bottom