The favourite classical music and opera thread

Is the cannon fire in Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture meant to be there or is it only the version I have?

It's a great touch to an already great piece.

My favorites are Tchaikovsky (Violin Concerto, Piano Concerto, Trio in A minor, Serenade Melancolique, Swan Lake etc. - probably my favorite overall in terms of depth), Brahms (Violin Concerto in D, Concerto for Violin and Cello, Trio in B, Piano Quartet in C Minor etc. - here would be the one competitor), Rachmaninov (Piano Concertos 2-4 are up there with anything for me), Debussy (La Mer, Fille Aux Cheveux de Lin, Reverie, Beau Soir, Clair de Lune, Sonata #3), Dvorak (Cello Concerto, American String Quartet, Humoresque)

A level below would be Sibelius (Concerto in D minor, Finlandia, 2nd and 5th Symphonies), Faure (his two quartets), Saint Saens (Havanaise, Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso, Carnaval des Animaux), Satie (Gnossienes, Ogives, Gymnopedies).

I guess I'm pretty much a sucker for Late Romantic.

Individual works: Wienawksi Violin Concerto 2, Bizet's Carmen (perhaps especially as Sarasate's fantasy), Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole, Glazunov's Violin Concerto in A minor, Prokofiev's Concerto #2, Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto, Chausson's Poeme, Franck's Sonata in A major, Schubert's Trio in B Flat, Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Massenet's Meditation from Thais, Monti's Czardas, Mahler's 5th Symphony, Sinding's Rustle of Spring (my grandmother's favorite piece - she played it perfectly until she was 90 years old when she couldn't remember anything else). A lot of this is influenced by pieces Heifetz played.

Of course I like Beethoven and Bach, but that does without saying. Although to tell you the truth, I can't say that I love a lot of Mozart, although that could be in large part due to hearing it too much.

My favorites are Tchaikovsky (Violin Concerto, Piano Concerto, Trio in A minor, Serenade Melancolique, Swan Lake etc. - probably my favorite overall in terms of depth), Brahms (Violin Concerto in D, Concerto for Violin and Cello, Trio in B, Piano Quartet in C Minor etc. - here would be the one competitor), Rachmaninov (Piano Concertos 2-4 are up there with anything for me), Debussy (La Mer, Fille Aux Cheveux de Lin, Reverie, Beau Soir, Clair de Lune, Sonata #3), Dvorak (Cello Concerto, American String Quartet, Humoresque)

A level below would be Sibelius (Concerto in D minor, Finlandia, 2nd and 5th Symphonies), Faure (his two quartets), Saint Saens (Havanaise, Introduction et Rondo Capriccioso, Carnaval des Animaux), Satie (Gnossienes, Ogives, Gymnopedies).

I guess I'm pretty much a sucker for Late Romantic.

Individual works: Wienawksi Violin Concerto 2, Bizet's Carmen (perhaps especially as Sarasate's fantasy), Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole, Glazunov's Violin Concerto in A minor, Prokofiev's Concerto #2, Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto, Chausson's Poeme, Franck's Sonata in A major, Schubert's Trio in B Flat, Rodrigo's Concerto de Aranjuez, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Massenet's Meditation from Thais, Monti's Czardas, Mahler's 5th Symphony, Sinding's Rustle of Spring (my grandmother's favorite piece - she played it perfectly until she was 90 years old when she couldn't remember anything else). A lot of this is influenced by pieces Heifetz played.

Of course I like Beethoven and Bach, but that does without saying. Although to tell you the truth, I can't say that I love a lot of Mozart, although that could be in large part due to hearing it too much.

Your late Romantic choices are very excellent, especially the ones with cello :D.

@Jan H, sorry I did not know that, So I will consider that next time.

Here is a piece that is very lovely. It is Poeme for Orchestra and Violin. If you have not heard it then you ar in for a treat.
Part One
Part Two

Here is another piece for violin, but this time with piano. I have heard version with an Orchestra but it does not sound the same nand is much better with the piano, as the composer had intended.
Tzigane by Maurice Ravel

BTW, does anyone know how to pronounce it?

Some of Elgar's moments are great.

Some of the great versions of Wagnerian operas can transcend everyday humanity...particularly with Poul Elming as Parsifal from 1998.

Here is another piece for violin, but this time with piano. I have heard version with an Orchestra but it does not sound the same nand is much better with the piano, as the composer had intended.
Tzigane by Maurice Ravel

BTW, does anyone know how to pronounce it?

It is pronounced "tsee-gan", with a medium-length, wide-open A like in "father". Stress on the last syllable, like almost always in French. :)

Means "gypsy" in French (most of the European words for "gypsy" actually come from that root). :)

Excellent choice. Boulez's edition/conducting of Beethoven's 5th is quite revolutionary, as well as original. (Sorry, no clip - my dad got a record of it as a present.);)

Oliver Messaien and Charles Ives are circling through my brain in this instant :)

And as to be on-topic, here's Concierto de Aranjuez for guitar and orchestra by Joaquin Rodrigo. I actually have a version that I like more, but I'm sure the quality of the recording plays a major role here.

Part I
Part II (probably the most well-known piece for classical guitar ever)
Part III

Pepe Romero's version of this piece is by far the best. :goodjob:

Not to appear disrespectful, but Rodrigo rocks.

Oliver Messaien and Charles Ives are circling through my brain in this instant :)

I'm not sure whether Messiaen and Ives were ever that close.;)

Excellent arias from excellent operas, performed by an excellent artist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLaY2VcIEqo

Un bel di vedremo from Giacomo Puccini's Madama Butterfly, by the incomparable Maria Callas (of which I own the EMI Classic edition)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKnR9VIK3MA

Prélude and Habanera from Georges Bizet's Carmen (live performance, dito)

Also from Madama Butterfly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7eLN3HNejQ

Act II Intermezzo (Humming Chorus)

Top Bottom