1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Fall from Heaven

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Apr 17, 2010.

1. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Kael cannot tell us anything. The game developers would certainly have hit him with a HEFTY Non-Disclosure Agreement. We are fortunate he was able to get permission to say something was in the works I imagine.

And nobody said that mainstream = dumb. They said that being non-popular tends to be a mark in favor for considering which choice is better between a variety of options. That doesn't mean ignoring an obvious advantage because lots of people like it, it just means that while some people consider the aesthetic appeal heavily when making choices (is it pretty), the obscurity is a factor for us. It is little different than an art collector (it isn't that all of these 17th century art pieces are actually better than what is made today, because we can easily generate an exact replica, it is that there are fewer of them, and they are hard to come by)

2. deanej

deanej Deity

3. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

Hrm, good point. But unless he wants to be the next Peter Molneuax (however you spell it, the guy who WAY over-hyped Fable), he would be wise to have an NDA of his own and follow it personally.

Nothing worse than promising more than you deliver. Even if only barely more.

4. hbar

hbar Constant

A theory of supply and demand for social norms ... Ekolite would be a supply-side "Reaganomics" type - enough production (conformity) of social standards will have a 'trickle down' effect, making even the nerds cooler over time. Tasunke is more of a demand-sider (Sidar?) - the more adherents a social norm has, the less value is inherent in adopting it. Only by constantly innovating and avoiding the mainstream can a social behavior have value.

Would that mean that school uniforms are a Keyensian approach? And would Tek Vests, Tamogachis, and fist bumps represent investment bubbles? (okay, I just dated myself there :lol: )

5. JohnCataldo

JohnCataldo Chieftain

Not that there is anything wrong with being strange.

I'd point out that people are judged negatively for being mainstream, for not being mainstream, and everything else. You also tend to get more meaningful positive judgments by avoiding the mainstream. By definition, if you are incredibly mainstream and like everyone else, you aren't special.

That's on top of the fact that 'mainstream' is incredibly subjective, and even within the same society you'd have trouble finding two people who completely agree on what is or is not mainstream.

Nearly everyone dislikes being negatively judged, though the older you get the less you care, and the more you figure out whose opinion you care about. You can eventually choose who actually matters to you to some extent, though it's not trivial.

The more you are forced to be in a group of others that you don't choose, the more pressure there is to be like everyone else, because you are stuck with them. Most people, at least in the "first world", are tossed into a group for school for a giant amount of their life, and want to at least get along with everyone because life is hard enough. Later most people get to at least partially self-select who they spend time with, through choices relating to career, romance, and hobbies. (Very few people have the luxury of never spending time with people they don't want to, and almost no one can be with who they want to all the time!)

“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”

6. MrManNo1

MrManNo1 Chieftain

I'm not asking him to detail all the features the game will have. It'd just be nice having something more than, "I'm making a game."

7. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

Yeah.
    At least, it would be cool to know the genre of the game, so we can run new round of speculations :)

8. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Emperor

to be a nerd or not to be a nerd, whatever, 30 years ago I was more than happy to give a nerd a wedgie and stuff him in his locker, now I enjoy playing a game that grew out of D&D, the realm of nerd-dom, the irony...

9. Jenaelha

Jenaelha fields of Elanor

Kael first post say's it's the next step in the FfH line so the genre must contain some element of FfH, as we know it. But I believe I have heard Kael talk fondly about a magic/technology hybrid where a once predominantly magic based world transforms with the introduction of technology.

10. Anathema

Anathema Chieftain

You never know. It could be an FPS! Fall From Heaven 40k: Space Elves vs. the Chaos Orc Clan.

But seriously, I can envision anything from a traditional Civ-style TBS with some fantasy elements (i.e. FFH2 remade) to a hero-centric RPG with some strategy elements (HoMM-style). Maybe TBS with RTS battles a la Total War, hell even an RPG/RTS hybrid somewhere along the lines of WC3 could work, there's a pretty broad range of games that would fit the lore. It'll probably be a Civ-style sequel that doesn't wander too far from FFH2, but confirmation would be nice. It would at least put an end to wild speculation such as the above.

11. MrManNo1

MrManNo1 Chieftain

I would love something like this. It's not done nearly enough in video games. Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magicka Obscura is one of my favorite games of all time.

12. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

13. HadesScorn

HadesScorn Warlord

Xienwolf- you are an evil evil man!

14. Niveras

Niveras Prince

With a stock of semi-customizable heroes who can run around the otherwise entirely automated map (DotA).

15. blueparrot1966

blueparrot1966 Chieftain

D&D flavored CIV. Mmmmm.... From the start, FFH has been one of the best games I've played in years, including many commercial products I've paid good money for. I'd love to see a modern remake of Master of Orion, SMAC, or X-Com. But since that's apparently NEVER gonna happen, this is the best news I could hear, gaming wise.

The FFH team has done outstanding work as a labor of love. I can't wait to see what they'll come up with when they're actually being paid to do it.

But c'mon, Kael. Can you throw us a bone? Any details at all? Anything? (snivel...)

16. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

NOOOO NOT BEJEWELED!!!!!!

And while an FFH based Tower Defense would make a nice Free Flash-Game ... just no :p

17. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

Actually its just the card game being released on the Wii.

18. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

lol. Wii Somnium

19. hbar

hbar Constant

I heard there's also a cooking game spinoff - Basium's Bakery Inquisition: Cake or Death!

20. blueparrot1966

blueparrot1966 Chieftain

Death. The cake is a lie.