1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Fall from Heaven

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Ah ... may I ask what Rife's plans are?

I think ... beyond what type of mod you will be making ... would perhaps the prudent question be which game might you be modding on?

2. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

All I can say is we have our plans. :mischief:

3. mo123567

mo123567 Worst modder ever!

Well, if any of you masters of modding will work on anything in the future we will have to wait to find out because you all share the ominous with-holding of information trait. :lol:

I can understand why someone might want to work on their own thing as opposed to staying withing Kael's universe. Still, after playing FF and RifE, it looks like your creativity wasn't stifled by building on a pre-existing lore.

I just hope to see some great mods along the lines of FFH for Civ5 and/or a FFH release that maintains the core civ concept.

4. Valkrionn

Creating a modmod is very different from recreating a mod.... In the first, you're free to branch out, do what you want. People know it's not canon.

In the second... You're limited by the lore. You have to remain truthful to the original. We just aren't interested in being limited that much, when we could instead create our own setting.

Which will be quite interesting, I might add. ;)

As for great mods for Civ5... You know they will be there. ;)

5. Kael

Kael Deity

Im cool with anyone making a mod based on FfH ideas, characters, lore etc as long as:

1. They don't use the Fall from Heaven name in the title, we reserve that for "official" products. You are free to make a mod that is "based on Fall from Heaven", but please don't make a game called "Fall from Heaven 3", "Fall from Heaven: The Rise of Hannah's Panties" or anything else that uses Fall from Heaven in the title.

2. It's distributed for free. Permission is not given to use our works for profit.

I know everyone is cool with the above, in the very few cases where someone has started a modmod with Fall from Heaven in the title they have been cool to rename it when I requested that.

6. Valkrionn

I'm aware of those rules... I was more saying that the fan community would demand it stay true to the original. Which would pretty rapidly get boring, as it's not our vision. ;)

7. mo123567

If that was a clue as to what you may or may not be working on, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

8. mo123567

I understand why people can't use licenced work for profit but why can't they use the FFH name for non-profit mods? There are plenty of free mods out there that use licenced names. FFH got big partially due to the unlicenced use of music and art that really helped add to the atmosphere of the game. I guess the name doesn't matter as much as the actual product. The FFH name just helps fans of the lore to find related mods.

9. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

You can make some pretty FFH inclined titles without using "Fall From Heaven" in the title. I think its a perfectly fair rule.

For instance, you could still use "Fall" (as in Fall Further) and you could still use Heaven (as in Heaven's Rejects) ... but you couldn't use both words together in that way.

Anyways, I am glad the rules were posted here ... lest I accidentally used Fall From Heaven in a title at some point ;)

10. Kael

Kael Deity

Its the title of our game. Reusing it implies a new version of the same game. Like if I made a Mod called Total Realism 2, or Planetfall 2. That isn't just making a mod based on something else, its trying to take its identity. For players its confusing (the FfH name is how we distinguish between "official" and fan made mods), for the FfH team it would be rude to see the lines blurred, for other modders its rude to try to compete with other mods who are "claiming" (through their name) to be more official.

Im cool with people using lots of FfH copyrighted names for characters, etc. I just ask that they not use Fall from Heaven in the title to avoid confusion. I would hate to have someone create a "Fall from Heaven III" which would imply to a lot of players that a new FfH has been released when its actually not connected to prior versions (except as inspiration).

And again I don't have a problem with people using the Fall from Heaven name, I just don't want it used in the title of their game.

We have shared everything in the mod, tons of code, ideas, art. Written lots of how to docs. Written FfH specifically to make it easier to modmod. So its not that I dont want modmoders to succeed. I just don't want to confuse players who will see a new "Fall from Heaven" game out there and think its a new version of FfH2.

11. Valkrionn

For the exact reason I chose to rename FFPlus; In using the name of another game/mod/whatever, it seems like an official expansion, rather than an unofficial mod.

A mod titled Fall from Heaven 3, or just FfH, would come across as official. But without Kael, or his express permission, it is not.

12. FireBlaze

FireBlaze King

I'm sure there will be one. Whether its sanctioned or any good is a whole other question.

13. Verdian

Verdian King

Hey, I didn't know that. Congratulations, Xien. :)

14. blueparrot1966

blueparrot1966 Chieftain

I hope this isn't an embarrassingly ignorant question, but please be gentle- I can go for months at a time without the chance to stick my head into the forums here-

What is rifE?

15. Valkrionn

Ha, don't worry, not ignorant.

RifE is one of the four major modmods for Fall from Heaven, and stands for Rise from Erebus. The others being Fall Further, Orbis, and Wild Mana.

It began as a modmodmod, actually, as it is built off of Fall Further; We've since split off, as FF is on hiatus.

I am the founder of the mod, but far from the only person working on it at this point... There is myself, Grey Fox, Opera, KillerClowns, and Vermicious Knid.

Follow the link in my sig to our forum, plenty of more information there. ;)

16. blueparrot1966

blueparrot1966 Chieftain

Much obliged. I've had more fun with FFH than I have with most official Civ products, and since I love Civ, that's saying a lot. But I just don't have the time to be a regular on the forums here, and I'm sure that I'm missing a lot. I'll check it out.

17. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

Valkrionn, please notify us when You wil be near to the end... And IF it will be a mod of some kind of game, tell us the name of this game so we can buy it

18. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Emperor

I like the sound of that. Probably would be rated mature.

19. xienwolf

xienwolf Deity

20. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

so the first one is to get INTO them lol!