The future of Fall from Heaven

I thought the Rife team was gonna work on a fantasy mod .... did that fall through?

I believe Valkrionn has been distracted by real-life.

technically I spoke about ART modding :D

That has been the killer for so long now. Fortunately, the technical issues are more or less solved and we have two converted fantasy units in the last week:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Thanks to Deliverator for solving the technical issues and the 2 units.

That has been the killer for so long now. Fortunately, the technical issues are more or less solved and we have two converted fantasy units in the last week:
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Thanks to Deliverator for solving the technical issues and the 2 units.
I don't want to go german about that (apologies toward german) but 4 years to find a not-so-easy way to a units is not mod-friendly.
I recognize easily that some fans are beasts and that they arrived to tackle this huge problem.
and I also recognize that now the problem seems solved. however, at the moment only delivrator seems able and willing to create/add fantasy units.
It's true that the stream opened ... but it's not yet to a point were it could become a flood :D

but I know I'm nitpicking

Did anyone actually play Fallen Enchantress?
Although Kael is on that team, it seems it's still kinda Elemental, especially generic feeling factions.

Also there is that Warlock: Master of the Arcane. Did someone play this game?

[to_xp]Gekko;12533356 said:
they're both good games, also add masters of the broken world to them :D

So these three are our "FFH3" in some way?
Which game has the most diverse factions? (never liked that generic feel of the Elemental Kingdoms and Empires and so never tested it)

I have to admit that all three look good but can't decide which one I should pick.

For me, I choose Fallen Enchantress. It is a solid game. If only they increase faction differentation (to some extent, the ability to customize each faction, made custom units etc is reducing flavor) and use prettier graphic, this game is perfect for me.

Warlock is good, if you like fast-paced game. Warlock's focus is on battles, not empire building. If you want action, Warlock is great game. But if you want something more "Civ-like", you will be disappointed.

Eador is... tricky. The game has great concept, good graphic and with recent patches, good game play. You can learn it quickly, but the mechanic is complex, the combo/possibilities are abundant, you can spend lifetime to master. But for me, Eador is lacking in-game, in-screen unit movement, and this bother me a lot (which I am quite surprised myself). You can spend tens of turns without physically moving your units. Yes, the heroes are exploring dangerous territories, meeting monsters, doing whatever heroic deeds they can, but there are no unit movements, only text box after text box portraying the "actions". The only real action is the battle screen. I found it repetitive and got bored after a while.

Warlock is a long brawl. It is easy even on hardest difficulty but it makes the game a long exhausting brawl when you slowly beat yourself past hordes of enemy units. Perhaps it is fun on an easy level. I usually do not try if I know it will not be a challange.

I have not tried Fallen Enchantress as I dislike Frogboy so much. They seem to have a policy of hiring good designers. It will be really interesting to see what Soren Johnson can come up with. Chances are they have diged a deep hole and are wasting talent at trying to keep water out of it.

Eador is interesting but I can agree with esvath about it.

I didn't try Eador : Master of the Broekn Worlds, but Eador : Genesis was very good although the campaign was too long. I know they reduced it in the new version. I disagree about units not moving. I like the exploration through text. It means there's something inside that forest and to me the world feels bigger and more lively.
Particularly compared to Elemental where the world feels empty and full of useless tiles.
I confess being unable to play Fallen Enchantress due to the huge disappointment that War of Magic was. I just try it, see the same look'n'feel and want to vomit so I can't play it even if the game is better.

Is there going to be a Fall From Heaven for Civ 5? I realize that Civ 5 was a crap sequel to the Civ's that came before but it seems to me that everything that could be done with Civ 4 has been done. Also a bit of modding might make Civ 5 playable.

Short answer? No.

Kael won't be working on FfH2 anymore (for Civ IV or Civ V), as he got a real job in the computer game industry.

He has asked that no one else call their mods Fall from Heaven II, but has no problem with someone else borrowing as much as they want from the mod and releasing it under a different name.

There are some Civ V fantasy mods that are borrowing from FfH2, but they are not getting made all that quickly. Apparently modding unit art is harder, although not impossible, in Civ V.

There are still some good original mods being made for Civ IV.

Now that I'm in a PBEM I appreciate the increased strategic significance of Hex Maps.

I feel that square maps are easier on the attacker and Hex maps are easier on the defender :p

Anyways, a Civ IV-like game with a hex grid, modded to a fantasy setting like FFH2, would be pretty cool :)

All we need for an FFH3 is for one of us to get rich, start a game studio, hire Kael, buy his IP, and let the magic happen.

If I'm the one that gets rich, I'll also hire Nox Arcana to make a custom soundtrack for the game.

If I were that rich I might buy the IPs but I'd just borrow heavily to create my own game (one that was heavily inspired by such games) ... and then I'd sell the IPs to someone seriously interested in making a true remake, assuming they didn't mind that my game was in the market ^_^

Why sell it then. you could lease it.

ah right. Yea, I'd lease it to those peeps, meanwhile I'd technically keep ownership on the IPs so that I wouldn't have to worry about infringement suits.

I think that FFH2 could have been the most strategic and complicated game (mod) ever created. All things must move on I guess.

nah man! we can sit here and stay with FFH2 for many years to come :)

Maybe it won't always be what we are playing, but who doesn't come back to it after a time :)

FFH2 will always be in our hearts.

Top Bottom