The Giant WW1 Thread

If only we could make train units stay on RR tracks I'd love to see these in a Polish-Soviet War scenario. As it is, come 2015 at the very latest ( :mischief: ) I'm now very tempted to try a Russian Civil War mod.

Great work as ever.

Best,

Oz

PS BTW that clip makes the film look great. Any chance it's available w/English subtitles?

-O.

I've often thought of making a Russian Civil War scenario. At the moment, it's somewhat represented in my world-between-the-wars mod. The two Russian factions are probably my favourite to play as, so I'm especially happy that there are more units I can use to bolster their flavour!

...I remember a civ2 scenario I really loved. It was played out in the 1920's, and I've been wanting to recreate it for Civ3 ever since...

Yeah I remember that one as well. I think it was made by Curt Sibling if I'm not mistaken.

Wyrmshadow:

I love those Polish soldiers. I know they're post WW1 but would you approve of using them for WW2, or in your opinion would these guys be historically inaccurate for WW2?

Wyrmshadow:
I love those Polish soldiers. I know they're post WW1 but would you approve of using them for WW2, or in your opinion would these guys be historically inaccurate for WW2?

Not accurate for WW2. The WW2 uniform was a lighter shade of brown and the infantry didn't wear the French Adrian helmet from WW1, only the cav kept them. The foot soldiers had a new rounded helmet. Gary Childress made one a long time ago.

Great job! Enjoyed the show and Red Army. Often dopolnâû scripts new units. Thank you!

I figured that out a while ago. Trouble is, we don't have any trains.
What did you discover? May be useful for things other than land transports. Railway guns such as Langer Max, for example.

For example you can set the railguns and trains to the wheeled flag and all terrain but the LM-terrain versions of that terrain that they are forbidden for wheeled units. Additionally you set the LM terrain that here no roads or rail can be created (trade =0). Now you can form "rail-terrain" by using chains of that LM-terrain.

Another way would be to allow roads and railroads only on certain terrain (or LM-terrain) and forbid it for all other terrain (trade = 0). That´s the way I created the microzones for SOE long ago.

I described that methode some years ago at the SOC Site. :)

What did you discover? May be useful for things other than land transports. Railway guns such as Langer Max, for example.

We have, e.g., Wyrm's Leopold RR gun. A very basic approach to a broad diversity would be to have the unit just be one of the armored rail cars atop which already modelled tank turrets can be attached (as was often historically the case.)

-Oz

For example you can set the railguns and trains to the wheeled flag and all terrain but the LM-terrain versions of that terrain that they are forbidden for wheeled units. Additionally you set the LM terrain that here no roads or rail can be created (trade =0). Now you can form "rail-terrain" by using chains of that LM-terrain.

Another way would be to allow roads and railroads only on certain terrain (or LM-terrain) and forbid it for all other terrain (trade = 0). That´s the way I created the microzones for SOE long ago.

I described that method some years ago at the SOC Site. :)

Exactly, Civinator. But you can't set the 'impassable to wheeled units' to just LM terrain unfortunately, unless there's a trick for that that I don't know. And it pretty much has to be Plains terrain, so that it can cross any other type of terrain. That (and the lack of train units) is why I haven't yet made a map that incorporates the idea.

Yes, LM terrain alone can´t be set forbidden to wheeled units. The whole terrain must be set to it. Now wheeled units can only move on roads or rails. In the second step normal terrain must be set to don´t allow roads/railroads by setting trade=0 and the LM-version of that terrain is set to allow roads/railroads. With this terrain the line for the trains/roadguns must be drawn. This was it. :)

In SOE I used railgraphics as roadgraphics and got some astonishing results by using infinite city sprawl-railroads as roads.

embryodead made a biq with all LM terrain activated (but by placing it on the map, some additional hexediting must be done):

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=5702831&postcount=6

embryodead made a biq with all LM terrain activated (but by placing it on the map, some additional hexediting must be done):

Yeah, it was always the 'additional hexediting' that mucked me up. I dream of the day that Steph configures his editor to do all that automatically, as he's hinted he might do someday.

Yeah, it was always the 'additional hexediting' that mucked me up. I dream of the day that Steph configures his editor to do all that automatically, as he's hinted he might do someday.
The additional LM terrain is one of the things Quintillus is tackling in the mapping section of his cross-platform editor, iirc.

Top Bottom