The Giant WW1 Thread

Okay, I fixed the Run. I dont know why it worked before.

The Red Army apparently had small stocks of captured Mk.Vs[1] in their inventory up until about 1929/1930. Doubtless to keep old tanks running their must have been some form of refitting, although I would suspect this would have been mainly in the field of the time honoured practice of cannibalisation of other vehicles. According to the Russian Battlefield site, the numbers of gun armed Mk.Vs was seriously run down by 1926 (no doubt the automative and running parts were too). I understand the red Army did replace some machine gun armed FT17s armament with Maxims, perhaps they did something similar with the Mk.Vs which were mostly composite models anyway.

Soviet tank development for the early/ mid 1920s concentrated on light infantry tanks and tankettes, taking their cue from the FT17 and later the Carden Lloyd tankette series. These were developed as the MS-1 (T-18) as the light tank and the aborted T-17 tankette from 1926 and its successor the T-21 and T-23 series that made it into production in 1929. There were attempts to build a medium tank (T-240 in the late twenties plus a couple of aborted designs around 1922-23.

In the immediate aftermath of the Civil War, the Soviets lacked the means and the inclination to build heavy style tanks. By the time heavy industry had revived sufficiently to build heavier vehicles, tanks like the Mk.V were clearly obsolete and the Soviets concentrated on developments of foreign designs ( Grote, Vickers Independent etc). Most likely any 'conversions' to the remaining Mk.Vs were patch ups to keep them operating. I haven't seen any discussion of the Soviets planning to put an Mk.V variant into production.

Based on my reading on this topic, I have found no Mk.V still operational in WWII. Some were dragged out of junkyards to block a road perhaps, but not much else. The German found a few in the Baltic states and Russia and took photos based on curiosity. The conclusion they were operational should not be made because of these photos.

A 1930's Soviet army report shows the Mk.Vs dropping into disrepair very fast since 1920's. The FT-17 were mostly non-operational, many were sent to the aircraft target range. Few Mk.A were captured by the Reds intact, therefore relatively none were around in 1940.

You must note that in 1930 the Reds started producing light, medium and heavy tanks by the 1000's. 1920's stuff was casted aside. They had one of the largest and innovative tank forces before the purge.

I recall some were already in use as war memorials or sitting in a training school boneyard when the Germans attacked. I did recall one Garford Putilov still used in combat somewhere. Certainly it was with a reserve or local defense force.

The Soviets captured a number of FT-17 landed by the French at Odessa and turned over to the Whites. Some of these soldiered on for a while into the twenties, giving rise to the mythical Russki Reno. A small detachment of US M1917 tanks destined for the Whites in Siberia were hijacked and ended up with a Red partisan detachment. The M1917 was of course essentially a US built FT-17 (different engine and some minor detail changes)

[1]According to the Osprey 'Armoured Units of the RCW, White & Allied' book; All the Mk V tanks sent to Russia were Mk V composites except for 2 Females - that there were 2 all MG Females among the ~80 Mk V tanks sent to Russia.

Source

Yes thank you!

Those models are stunning. The texture and tank track detail is far superior to the earlier versions of the tank you made for the allies are amazing.

Yes thank you!

Those models are stunning. The texture and tank track detail is far superior to the earlier versions of the tank you made for the allies.

:confused: It's the exact same model with the same animations. :confused:
I just made them different colors.

:confused: It's the exact same model with the same animations. :confused:
I just made them different colors.

Oops, my bad. You're right I double checked just now. Let me retract my original comment and replace with: These tanks are awesome continuations of your earlier fine work. ;)

T-24 is posted

I think it makes for an excelent generic 1920-1930 tanks for minor civs.

3 versions up

Great units, especially Char 2C in WW2 camo. but if you create between wars units then you should open new thread because they don't fit in WWI. Anyway excellent job and i will sure make some scenario with them.

They were designed for Plan 1919... so they fit here.

Love your Greek-Bulgarian-Serbian-Ottoman units. As a matter of fact these units have given me the idea of creating a Balkan Wars scenario, something that is really missing from CIV 3.

However, I should ask for your permission to use the units and sorry to do so from here but unfortunately the site still thinks I'm a spambot and does not let me send pm's. ;p

You don't need permission to use any units on CivFanatics. It was polite of you to ask, though.

You don't need permission to use any units on CivFanatics. It was polite of you to ask, though.

Ah, thanks for informing me. So, your only 'obligation' is basically to put the people who created the units you used in the credits of your scenario. That will do.

And for every unit/leaderhead/pcx/what-have-you you use, you need to send Goldflash five bucks.

Love your Greek-Bulgarian-Serbian-Ottoman units. As a matter of fact these units have given me the idea of creating a Balkan Wars scenario, something that is really missing from CIV 3.

However, I should ask for your permission to use the units and sorry to do so from here but unfortunately the site still thinks I'm a spambot and does not let me send pm's. ;p
It's only the new account restriction (5 days, iirc).

And for every unit/leaderhead/pcx/what-have-you you use, you need to send Goldflash five bucks.
:rudolf::rudolf::rudolf::rudolf::rudolf:

:coffee:

Top Bottom