The Great Patriotic War: WWII on the Eastern Front (Development Diary)

Can it be in spanish?

Only English at this stage. Unfortunately I am a one man team so finishing a beta of the mod is my main priority.

I have tried to make all text XML entries in order to allow additional languages down the track. I am open to other converting my text XML files to other languages. ;)

Its still in development. A playable 'alpha' version is not available yet.

When I have something playable, I will open an appropriate thread under the scenario section of this forum.

Another milestone achieved....unit personnel and equipment stats linked to units and appear when mousing over each unit.

Unit pers/supply code still needs much work but its all about baby steps!

ww2commander, this is great work. I love the counters (I even liked them glossy), and I'm very impressed with what you were able to do with the production system and the unit components. Is that programmed with LUA? I was also wondering what you were planning to do with the cities. Are they going to be able to bombard units like they can in the base game?

ww2commander, this is great work. I love the counters (I even liked them glossy), and I'm very impressed with what you were able to do with the production system and the unit components. Is that programmed with LUA? I was also wondering what you were planning to do with the cities. Are they going to be able to bombard units like they can in the base game?

Thanks Gre_Magus.

The glossy look was actually an error on my end....and trust me, after a while the glossy look can get annoying in-game. I still maintain a bit of a glossy effect but not as much as previously.

To answer your questions:

Cities will not use bombard ability given I am trying to make defending cities a key priority of the game (and thus another reason I am using a 2 units per tile system).

Artillery bombardment in general is a bit of a pet issue of mine as a range of 2+ is very unrealistic given the scale of my map (yes I am a pedantic about these things).

I have included flavor units such as Katyushas/Wespe/Hummels in the scenario, but overall artillery is represented as 'field guns' within units such as infantry. Running out of 'field guns' (via the production system) decreases a units fighting strength as it tries to heal each turn when fighting.

As to your LUA question, yes all this is done via LUA and even more is planned as I progress. I am in the process of fleshing out ideas on lend lease, towns on the map, supply lines and railroad usage.

Also, I am looking at ways of including 'hard-coded' info relating to the tiles on the map. This includes emphasizing strategic points (i.e. bonus, penalties) , terrain features and even transport networks (resupply).

A strange thing happened along the path to adding personnel and equipment stats in the plot rollover....I ended up completely redesigning it! :mischief:

One thing led to another when I realized I did not like the way the game was displaying plot info. I did some extensive modding of the PlotMouseoverInclude.lua file which now displays info in a way I prefer for my scenario.

The rollover popup will now display unit info, health, personnel/equipment stats and the units current leadership and combat experience levels (promotions).

I have also redone the way terrain info is displaying with town info now showing (relevant tiles have proper names associated) as well as creating new icons for all terrain, feature and improvements types. Useful combat and movement info is also associated with each terrain/feature type.

Three ingame screenshots below show various configs of the rollover screen with the last showing 2 units on one tile info.

Enjoy!

Is the distortion on the German tiles due to two tiles being in the same hex? Is there a way to fix that, or is it a limitation of the graphics engine?
Obviously, it would be ideal if you could just see the "top" tile and the sides of the "bottom" tile, just as if you had two physical counters in a little stack.
Another question about two-units-per-hex. How does the game engine decide which unit defends?
How do you determine the strength of a unit? Is it a function of the quantity of each type of equipment (including soldiers)? Are you going to model the effects of armor (i.e., infantry need anti tank weapons to fight tanks) or are you just going to go with a basic strength vs. strength model for combat.
Are you going to have a forced withdrawal system (i.e., a unit is forced to retreat if it loses a battle badly enough) or will units stand their ground until destroyed (or the player or AI decides to move them?)

Is the distortion on the German tiles due to two tiles being in the same hex? Is there a way to fix that, or is it a limitation of the graphics engine?

Yes it is caused by multiple units on the same tile. I think it might be related to the engine trying to animate each tile which causes a shaking kind of distortion sometimes. As I know almost zero about unit graphics (getting the tiles to work was pure luck), I have no way of resolving it at this stage.

Obviously, it would be ideal if you could just see the "top" tile and the sides of the "bottom" tile, just as if you had two physical counters in a little stack.
Yes, that is my preference as well, but there is no way that I know of to readjust this without DLL access. If anyone knows a way then I am happy to give it a try.

Another question about two-units-per-hex. How does the game engine decide which unit defends?
This is a game engine voodoo thing I have no exposure over. Without doing too much experimenting, I gather it must be choosing the unit with highest health level first...but I could be wrong.

How do you determine the strength of a unit? Is it a function of the quantity of each type of equipment (including soldiers)? Are you going to model the effects of armor (i.e., infantry need anti tank weapons to fight tanks) or are you just going to go with a basic strength vs. strength model for combat.
The unit strengths need an overhaul as they are based on older version units I had envisioned. I had originally sat down and listed out the armor, gun, range and speed stats for all mobile units and then determined a formula to derive the strength. This worked out pretty well firs time round so I am planning to try something similar but at a brigade/divisional analysis level where each man, gun and vehicle adds to the overall score.

To answer the second part of this question, once you go up to levels such as divisional, combat becomes more abstract as it represents an overall force on force engagement as opposed to a T-34 engaging a PzIV tank. Thus I have tried to avoid biasing units too much to a particular role with the exception of specialized units such as tank destroyers and assault guns. However, there are limited promotions that will be attainable to muscle up a unit as they increase in leadership and combat experience levels. Promotions are still an evolving thing at this stage of development.

Are you going to have a forced withdrawal system (i.e., a unit is forced to retreat if it loses a battle badly enough) or will units stand their ground until destroyed (or the player or AI decides to move them?)
I was planning on including a retreat option similar to the RED WWII mod, but ever since the new patch broke the relevant LUA event hooks, I have been hesitant to perform any vital events via the RunCombat game events.

I dont have anything to contribute at this point but I love the idea and hard effort you have put into the mod! Will download!

Thanks for the support and interest guys.

Apologies for not providing any updates lately as I have been trying to sort out the population mechanics that will enable personnel reinforcements for units.

I have finally managed to stumble on an approach that gives a quasi-reflection of the historical population stats using the total plots on the map. The approach works in a way that makes it important to hold on to territory or lose large portions of your population and thus reducing your manpower pool for reinforcements.

More details once I test things out.

I've seen a great progress achieved, the way it goes will be a milestone in the WW2 mods (sorry Gedemon :D) I would say that once in the road you should take more coworkers onboard in order to speed up the process.

I don't like the 2 units per tile system, but it is your fun designing the mod, who knows? maybe I will use to it :D

I particularly like the info shown by the mouse roll on, it is the info you want to see that the interface normally don't show or slow down the game to show. My only remark would be to always think what you really need as fighting commander to take the proper decisions, too much info will make the screen a bit disorienting, well maybe someone would like to know everything but usually is just the key input what make a general victorious.

I would say that once in the road you should take more coworkers onboard in order to speed up the process.
As much as I would like to get a team of people, the truth is that others have projects of their own in the works right now which makes it hard to coordinate and find interest. The advantage of lone-wolf approach is you work to your time table and don't need to manage other people on deadlines. :lol:

I don't like the 2 units per tile system, but it is your fun designing the mod, who knows? maybe I will use to it
I am not a huge fan of it myself at this stage, but I have yet to see any disadvantages and the AI seems to use it much better when attacking.

Using a test version of the map, I noticed the AI took on average 3-4 turns to capture 2 cities on the initial border area using 1UPT.
With 2UPT, the AI took the same cities in 1-2 turns and continued to viciously assault my units.

If I have to go back to 1UPT then its a simple case of removing all German units and replacing them on the map. The issue here is that a 1UPT approach means all participating units on the 22nd June would almost line up all the way to Berlin instead of on the border!

I particularly like the info shown by the mouse roll on, it is the info you want to see that the interface normally don't show or slow down the game to show. My only remark would be to always think what you really need as fighting commander to take the proper decisions, too much info will make the screen a bit disorienting, well maybe someone would like to know everything but usually is just the key input what make a general victorious.
I agree in that too much information is a two-edge sword and can lead to a player feeling bewildered by what it all means when deciding an approach!

The information I have chosen to include in the rollover is what I deem necessary to decide if a unit fights, pullsback or just stays put. At a minimum the following should be easily obtained:

1. Unit name (for those pedantic about such details). The word 'Guards' is automatically placed in front of a units name if they have the Guards promotion.
2. Strength
3. HP level
4. XP level (not initially included in screenshots)
5. Equipment levels (for resupply decisions)
6. Leadership and Combat Experience.

Point 6 is important as these are the base promotions that add offensive/defensive strength to a unit and enable additional promotions to be locked. Thus it is in a players interest to preserve units with better leadership and experience as they will tend to get priority over lesser units for such things as resupply.

Double post removed -- for some strange reason as I did not click twice!

I agree in that too much information is a two-edge sword and can lead to a player feeling bewildered by what it all means when deciding an approach!

The information I have chosen to include in the rollover is what I deem necessary to decide if a unit fights, pullsback or just stays put. At a minimum the following should be easily obtained:

1. Unit name (for those pedantic about such details). The word 'Guards' is automatically placed in front of a units name if they have the Guards promotion.
2. Strength
3. HP level
4. XP level (not initially included in screenshots)
5. Equipment levels (for resupply decisions)
6. Leadership and Combat Experience.

Point 6 is important as these are the base promotions that add offensive/defensive strength to a unit and enable additional promotions to be locked. Thus it is in a players interest to preserve units with better leadership and experience as they will tend to get priority over lesser units for such things as resupply.

I don't understand why the name Guard has to be placed in front of the name, but anyway the chosen info seems to be about right. The terrain info is perfect as it is, short and solid :goodjob:

Well we will have to wait a bit longer until you have something playable. BTW I have noticed a big change in the behavior of the game when I chose the quick combat mode, weird, lot easier to win in that mode.

I don't understand why the name Guard has to be placed in front of the name

This only occurs if the unit receives the 'Guards' promotion so players can tell which units are Guards status. The Guards name/honor was bestowed onto Red Army units that distinguished themselves in combat. They tended to get better and more equipment than their non-Guards counterparts.

In the game, the Guards unit gets a strength boost and receives priority to resupply. The Guards promotion can not be chosen but must be earned via extensive combat experience (will be awarded via triggers).

Top Bottom