The Great Patriotic War: WWII on the Eastern Front (Development Diary)

Possibly use other wargames as a guide to the ToE figures. Eg. War In The East.

Anyway can't wait to play this puppy.

Possibly use other wargames as a guide to the ToE figures. Eg. War In The East.
I am slowly overcoming problems and have now moved on to the smaller units such as Panzerjäger and Stug battalions.

An interesting obstacle that arose during the compilation of the Panzer Division data was the size comparison between German and Soviet tank units. The Soviets exclusively utilized the brigade structure once their tank divisions had been destroyed which means that the Panzer division size is too large/powerful in comparison to its Soviet counterpart ingame.

The solution I settled with is to break out the Panzer divisions into 1x Panzer Regiments, 2x Panzergrenadier Regiments and supporting Panzerjäger and Stug battalions. This brings their size inline with Soviet brigades and also offers a bit more variety in units on the map. The catch of course is to write some lua code to generate a full set of units to make up a division when the AI builds a Panzer regiment.

On a side note (incase anyone is wondering), I plan to limit the types of units the German AI can build in cities and then use lua triggers and conditions to spawn the more exotic unit types such as tank destroyer and assault gun battalions.

I am slowly overcoming problems and have now moved on to the smaller units such as Panzerjäger and Stug battalions..

The most complete source about german panzer units ToE is the "Panzertruppen" by Thomas Yentz. I have a first tome and can provide some ToE tables and numbers in period between june 1941 - end of 1942.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english,

Are you planning to make units able to retreat from assualts(like the Inca slingers from vanilla)?.

The most complete source about german panzer units ToE is the "Panzertruppen" by Thomas Yentz. I have a first tome and can provide some ToE tables and numbers in period between june 1941 - end of 1942.

Thank you for the offer, however, I have managed to wrap up all the German TOEs last week so I am definitely over looking at any TOE info right now :cringe:

However, I will certainly keep it in mind if I need to revisit any of that info.

Are you planning to make units able to retreat from assualts(like the Inca slingers from vanilla)?.

I want to include this feature, but have not gotten around to looking into it yet. A lot of stuff on my to-do list and very little time these days. My free time has been reduced to a few hours at night....thus the reason for lack of updates.

Right now I am trying to code and debug the various city capture events such as partisans, bonus units, Romanian and Finnish city and plot allocations (i.e. Transnistria Governorate).

Yep, still coding away every day. I would say I am about 75% complete (trust me there is a lot of things done so far).

Latest coding is around unit restrictions (i.e. enough supplies, ratios), projects and city capture mechanics.

I also have a bit of work to do on the buildings as a lot of them have special coding for the unit supply system.

I have stopped posting updates as its hard to come up with anything interesting to say when your knee deep in code all the time. I also have a lot of 'polishing' work to do such as text entries, icons, some unit placement and more events.

EDIT: Unfortunately I also have some unit gaps which are holding back completion. I was hoping snafusmith would fill in some of the gaps but real life seems to have caught up with him as I have not heard any response. I still need mechanized/motorized units for German and Soviet units as well as some kind of bunker to represent Soviet fortified (fixed) units.

Got to say, this looks pretty incredible, and I'll play it as soon as its available. I do a lot of coding in real life, but no Civ modding, so can't really help you there (though I might install ModBuddy in a VM and tinker with it ...)

This is the model (the first square bunker) I tried to import but it refused to appear ingame so I gave up trying to do unit graphics as I obviously did not know enough to troubleshoot.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=287745&highlight=bunker

Any chance you might know how to import it into civ5.

well you would have to do a pretty complicated importing process from the nif. file to a gr2. file using "blender" and "nifskope" though im good with nifskope but im getting headaches when using blender.

Theres an extensive tutorial by danrell as you probably already know- http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=477464

so you actually want to add it as a Unit, mhm that seems kind of impossible especially because of the animations and effects.

But "if" you are able to add it as improvement you can do it like whoward did it with his "Airfield" improvement which adds a fixed immovable unit via LUA inside of the improvement after it is created.

I need to add it as a unit as it needs HP stats etc. Animations are not a concern as it is static and I have turned off all animations in my scenario. I use a new set of UNITCOMBAT types which means combat animations wont work with my mod.

Realistically, combat animations is one of those things you love the first time around and then realize you have to sit through 10 minutes worth of the stuff in my mod! The turns are long enough without all those animations getting in the way.

I am leaning more towards the hardcore WWII strategy fans with this mod than the eye-candy lovers.

I've just finished reading "The End: Hitler's Germany 1944–45" by Ian Kershaw. And before that the Adolf Hitler biography also by Ian Kershaw. Plus many other book on the subject of WW2. The thing is I really crave for this mod to be completed!

Oh, and a gameplay questing: Do you plan to make units able to retreat?!(ya I ask the same questing earlier on), if so you could make the soviets "great general" unit have an ability called "not another step back" making soviet units within its 2 hex influecence, not able to retreat.

Also how(if) are you planning to make the western Allies involvement in the war, to have effect in this mod?

Lastly if you ever need some advice or some "insight" into the nature of the eastern front, please feel fre to ask(although I doubt you would need any).

Edit: Also if you haven't tried it out yet, I strongly implore you to try out the video game called "Hearts of iron 3"(or 1 and 2).

Oh, and a gameplay questing: Do you plan to make units able to retreat?!(ya I ask the same questing earlier on),
Yes, its on my ever growing todo list. As with all things, I need to figure out all the conditions and gameplay issues with each feature I add to the mod.

if so you could make the soviets "great general" unit have an ability called "not another step back" making soviet units within its 2 hex influecence, not able to retreat.
GG are not currently in the mod. The whole 'not a step back' event is something I would like to include in the game, but probably better done through a promotion as opposed to having units roaming around for morale purposes. My unit count is already pushing 500+ on the map!

Also how(if) are you planning to make the western Allies involvement in the war, to have effect in this mod?
United Kingdom is a city on the upper most left corner of the map for the Allies player. No units or events have yet been included as I need to figure out their gameplay purpose. At this stage they will come into active play by having units spawn in western Germany and Italy at certain turns and then let them go wild on Axis cities.

Lastly if you ever need some advice or some "insight" into the nature of the eastern front, please feel fre to ask(although I doubt you would need any).
Thanks for the offer.

Edit: Also if you haven't tried it out yet, I strongly implore you to try out the video game called "Hearts of iron 3"(or 1 and 2).
I have not played them, but I have skimmed the wiki which game me a lot of ideas such as transport points (my current rail and motor pool system is based on points for actions and units).

And for the rest of you.....small update

Coding: I have countless minor glitches and bugs I have to work through every day so be patient with me. Things are moving along well. I also have a lot of event/conditions code to write to make things work properly.

AI issues: I need ways to make the AI choose a variety of units as it seems to ignore obvious (or only) unit choices and chooses processes such as wealth/research (science is off!!!!!!) most of the time in cities.

DLL Mod: I am also looking at including whoward's DLL modifications, but need to get my head around his new functions whilst considering performance issues. :crazyeye:

Airfield Improvement: I have included these in the mod, but can't get the code to work yet (as per DLL mod issues)

Turn Times: Without a DLL mod of any sort, each turn takes around 2-3 minutes. This might be acceptable to some but a put off for others :(

I have put off any updates to focus on getting the mod in a semi-alpha state. Once I have most things locked down I will post more frequent updates.

Update: April!

You know your updates are getting bad when you can only provide a month instead of proper date :blush:

Well folks, I have been keeping myself busy with this mod and things have progressed closer to alpha stage. However, before you get excited, let me remind you that I am the sort of modder who likes to release a working mod (even if alpha) and thus still can't commit to an exact date as there a still too many loose ends :(

The newest component to be implemented (still rough around the edges) is the unit morale system. Each turn, every unit on the map is provided a morale value that provides a bonus/penalty towards their combat ability. I plan to link this to my retreat code eventually but have not got around to implementing that feature yet.

Morale System
Morale is based on 3 factors: Supply, Environment and Combat

Supply Factor variables
  • Personnel level (penalty when below 100%)
  • Equipment levels (penalty when below 100%)
  • Unit obsolescence (penalty when unit type/structure has been superseded)
  • Supply line cut?
  • Number of unsupplied turns if supply cut?
  • Food (penalty if not enough food)
  • Fuel (penalty if not enough fuel)
  • Motor pool (penalty if not enough trucks)

Environment Factor variables
  • Is unit in city/town/open?
  • Is unit fortified?
  • Is it winter?
  • Is it muddy?
  • Number of adjacent enemy units
  • Number of adjacent friendly units
  • Are there any adjacent 'morale boosting' units (ie NKVD)?
  • Not a step back order active (USSR only)?
  • Does the unit have elite or 'Guard' status?

Combat Factor variables

• Did the unit retreat last turn?
  • Current leadership level?
  • Current combat experience/quality level?
  • Is the unit untrained?

These three values are then added together to determine the unit's morale value. Depending on the result, each unit will be allocated a specific promotion which provides combat bonuses or penalties. Worse case, the unit continues to retreat or surrenders!

That's it for this update. Feel free to ask any questions and I will answer as best I can :)

Busy both in life and mod time. For every item I clear from my to-do list, another 3 jump on it! This is not including the bugs and fixes to existing mod elements

The morale system (as mentioned) is the most recent component added and I am very happy with how that turned out. Each unit on the map now has a visual indicator (small colored dot) that sits within the unit's flag. This way a player can glance overall morale across the whole map and boost support in weaker sectors.

Two major components I have not implemented yet (which are essential) are Lend Lease and Industry Evacuations. Lend Lease is probably the most complex as it needs to be embedded into the extended supply system and consider map conditions.

Just noticed that this i my 1000 post...good to see it is in this thread...and it only took 10 years! :)

Nothing but praise for the scope of this mod and the effort you put into it.

Im making my own mod about the fight for supremacy in the baltic region 1550-1720. I'll post it on the forum soon and I would love for you to take a look on it. Seen you got alot of experience in modding.

Top Bottom