1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hall of Players

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Hall of Fame Discussion' started by Seraiel, Apr 30, 2015.

1. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

So I let map finder run with the more lax 2 mining resources rule and it immediately found this:
    Spoiler :

7th gems in fog?

How do you even play a start like that? :lol:

2. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

1se on PH? Should get you more forests too ;)
    Leaves space for a city 3n of Cap, no food needed with 2 gems to contribute.

But maybe the scout can find something first that changes everything.

3. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Not sure I'll even try that start tbh. Looks so slow in every way, except teching of course. One early goal in the game would be fast Berserkers, 6 gems can be quite helpful for that. But can I also expand to have enough berserker production when time comes?

Scout first for sure. My first instinct was also to settle PH, scout should go to north coast and find out if there's something more valuable there. Looks like 2N2E of settler is also land, possibly the landmass can stretch far in that direction.

4. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

:wow: :eek: :faint:
    Spoiler :

Pangaea, Noble Zarkon and Qactus like this.
  5. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

WHOA!

9 gems and corn, a new record :D

Seraiel likes this.
  6. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Been staring at this for half an hour and can't decide where to settle.

SIP?
    + corn, coastal clam, 6 gems
    + fresh water
    + 4 forests
    - might prevent settling anything further south on landmass and potentially kill seafood
    - can only ever share one of the gems with another city
    - fish cannot be grabbed from this landmass

PH 1SE?
    + PH
    + 4 forests
    +/- no idea what else is down there
    - clam and 4 gems only??? In this context that absolutely sucks :lol:

2N on gems?
    + corn, fish and 6 gems
    + can share almost all gems with other cities in south or E/NE
    + guaranteed I'll get at least 3 cities on this land mass and I don't kill any seafood
    + potentially a beast with moai (9 coastal tiles in BFC)
    - no chops, no strong hammer tiles, all early production would come from whipping out gems

Think 2N is best. SIP would be better as a capital, but I have no idea what I'm potentially losing in the south and no tile sharing makes it very bad early on.

Map is huge/cold/low sea level/tiny islands archipelago. I noticed in tests they often clump all gems together in one spot. Didn't expect to start in that spot. Better me than some AI, I suppose.

Still not sure if I even want to play this. With this amount of gems it feels like cheating. :blush:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  7. Noble Zarkon

Noble Zarkon Elite Quattromaster - Emperor (BTS) Super Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

2N seems right to me then probably the PH makes for a nice 2nd city.

Kaitzilla and elitetroops like this.
  8. WastinTime

WastinTime Deity Supporter

If 2N, you could get jungle growth on 1 gem in your BFC.
    My instinct is to SIP or you waste a gem.
    You want 2 food, so PH is out unless you reveal something.
    How about move the scout and then decide? (edit: oh , you moved already)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  9. WastinTime

Or submit the game for a GotM and let us all play it!

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  10. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Hahahahaha, what the hell. 9(!!) Gems :lol:

11. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Hmm, hard to decide where to settle, but think I agree with WT on SIP. Then maybe 2nd city on the jungle gems 2E of corn. Can share corn plus some gems. Probably more gems to the south anyway, including coastal gems :lol:

Shame about the fish, but maybe you want it from the island anyway. And food neutral gems are quite nice compared to 0-food golds. Would hurt to whip tho.

12. WastinTime

With that tech rate and that capital, you gotta go for CS slingshot.
    And you need to find +happies ASAP.
    What is that Gandhi?

13. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Vikings I think since he talked about Berserkers.

14. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Already settled 2N. One thing I forgot to consider was that without forests it gets unhealthy very fast. Luckily I got the herbalist event for +2 health in all cities (and potential pop loss) before it grew to pop 2.

Not much else exciting going on on this little island. Second city will go on PH, can settle one more further south with 2nd ring fish and one NE to pick up the last two gems but no food. Will have to expand to other islands asap. Met two AI, scouts on the island NW. That seems to be a bigger landmass. Can see land all around me and some seafood that cannot be reached from my land mass.

It's Ragnar. Plan is to take out as many AI as possible with Berserkers, CS slingshot it is for sure. This is huge/immortal/normal speed, 17 AI and plan is time victory. The more AI I can kill before longbows the better. Have to eliminate them all eventually (except leave one with an arctic city somewhere).

Scout parked on gems next to jungle as soon as island was checked out. It's safe. :)

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  15. elitetroops

elitetroops Deity

Huge tiny island archipelago is crazy. It seems they almost always have a big cluster of gems somewhere, often one of the teams start in the middle of it. I had map finder run over night saving all gems starts, found several more with 3-6 BFC gems and more to pick up nearby. Some of them had otherwise much better land than the one I found yesterday. This will be a very long game and I'll want to play it only once, so now I'm thinking I should run map finder a few nights to find the best gems cluster start out of a big batch. When 9 gems isn't good enough... :lol:

Noble Zarkon likes this.
  16. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Any 10-gems start yet? :lol:

Trying out a new start here as well, as the triple gold had few forests and almost no food nearby. Can always go back to it. Using random events this time, and dang. This is rather nice on the same turn AH is researched:
    Spoiler :
    Free pasture + road. Saves me 6+3 turns (iirc), which is very nice this early. That pig didn't show before SIP btw, so a very nice surprise. Horse nearby as well, so the early draft dotmap should be okay despite (again) lacking food nearby. Maybe 7 AIs on a Small map is too crowded to get some proper cities nearby. At least when you start out so close to the jungle (jungle north, plus Mansa a little further north).

GM-172-Free pigs pasture.jpg

Out looking for workers after the early steal from Victoria, but it's the same old routine, huh? Almost all of them are guarded by archers. At least I got one, though, and early too. Was back home to start on the corn in T15 or something like that. Normally it takes 23 turns (Epic).

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I have a question about city gifting and culture, as I found this rather unexpected in a game where I had to gift away a city to avoid domination. Maybe one of the experts like @WastinTime, @Kaitzilla or @Fippy know this by heart? Or the other HoF'ers?

Here is the city I gifted away:
    Spoiler :
    Culture after gift.jpg

Prior to gifting it away, it had over 2500 (Epic) :culture:, so 60%. It was building lots of culture to try to combat Lincoln's Hermitage + Wonders city right next-door. But after the gift, basically everything disappeared and Lincoln controls all the tiles, despite not having any (or very little) culture there (east of the city). The tile with 48% marker kept its culture, and interestingly the 37% too (with the cata), despite not being in the BFC of my city north (that also has 60% culture). I did slowly build up percentages on the town and iron and some other tiles, but it's as if everything was wiped clean.

However, the city itself seemed to have my culture for reason, at least for spy mission rebate purposes (got 50% early on, and it slowly went down to 48% etc).

I found this whole thing very surprising, and had expected to retain the town and iron tile, where the latter was important due to Mining Inc.

Did all that culture we had there essentially become Lincoln's culture instantly? What happened?

18. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

:crazyeye:

19. Fippy

Fippy Mycro Junkie Queen

Gifting clears out all your culture in the city's first ring, as if there never was any.

I think this happens cos when gifted that first ring always becomes the new Civs "property".
    Bit weird for sure.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Pangaea likes this.
  20. Kaitzilla

Kaitzilla Lord Croissant

Fippy is right.
    All the plot(tile) culture in the 1st ring (8 tiles) of the gifted city vanishes. :sad:
    In contrast, the civ receiving the city gets +1 plot culture on the 8 tiles around the city, so they get control unless a 3rd civ has a claim on the tiles.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/plot-culture-mechanics.633767/#post-15392025

It makes gifting cities on the border a real headache because it can take many, many turns to get back control of the tiles in the inner ring peacefully.

The spy bonuses in the gifted city were kept because it is based on city culture.

**Edit**
    The plot culture on the city tile itself is also lost.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
    Pangaea and Noble Zarkon like this.