The HARRY POTTER Advent Calender Reading Challenge

Has anyone considered the mysteriuos R.A.B character from book 6 to have been under the cloak? I know im jumping the gun a bit but does anyone have the slightest clue who he/she is, Regulus Black?

Now since Snape killed dumbledore...

...Which doesn't prove he's evil or not evil.

But Dumbledore did know where James and Lily lived, he must had a sort of a port key or something...

Interesting point.

Im not sure what your getting at, just because someone is the secret keeper for a house doesn't mean others can't know where it is- as is proved by the order of the phoenix all knowing where Grimauld place is. Peter could have just told/written where it is for Dumbledore.

Yes, but why would he?

Which begs the question: why didn't the Potters use themselves as the secret keepers?

Has anyone considered the mysteriuos R.A.B character from book 6 to have been under the cloak? I know im jumping the gun a bit but does anyone have the slightest clue who he/she is, Regulus Black?

My gf got fascinated by the wiki page for harry potter and it bring up a valid point, she found out that side characters are mentioned two books before they do anything, e.g. sirius black in the first book, ms bones in 5th book. Seems like it could very much be Regulus, put my idea of Borgin or Burkes to shame :(

@NK- so he could go visit them? i can't remember the length of time in which they were in the house, anyone else know?

@NK- so he could go visit them? i can't remember the length of time in which they were in the house, anyone else know?

You misunderstand--why would Peter, the spy for Voldemort, tell Dumbledore?

RAB is definitely Regulus, because foreign translations re-initialize the name to correspond with the translation of the Black family name (for example RAZ if Black starts with Z in that language)

Everyone dies, save Harry.

Lily and James must have telled Dumbledore... I mean, why not?

They couldn't, unless they were Secret Keeper. They obviously would have known their own whereabouts, but the Fidelius Charm wouldn't have allowed them to divulge its location.

Because it would be very hard to come up with a convincing lie as to why he wouldnt tell dumbledore.

He could have avoided facing him.

I believe that you can't be Secret-Keeper when you're the subject of the secret itself.

Just a theory, or is this actually said somewhere?

I've never read book 5, but read 1-4 and 6. Didn't really find them that fascinating. However, I will probably read book 7 sometime this year. :) I'm curious to see if this thread actually works. :D

5 was one of the more interesting if not most i found. 6 was a bit of a dissapointment as a stand alone book imho.

That wouldnt have anything to do with dumbledore pursuading Lilly and James to move if he wouldnt give up the location though.

General Responses

I never noticed this "missing day."

Well, it’s not a "day" per se but the time between when Dursley leaves for work and midnight that night when Hagrid arrives - i.e up to 18 hours. We know McGonagall talked to Hagrid right before he left, so that means Hagrid was away all "day."

It could very well just be narrative convenience. Rowling doesn't write with chronological consistency in mind (and indeed it's hard to keep things straight in a narrative that's so large). A great example of that is how Harry's parents come out of Voldy's wand in the wrong order at the end of book 4!

On the other hand, notice that Dumbledore thought Hagrid was late (i.e. expected him earlier than midnight) even though Dumbledore couldn’t have known Hagrid would be flying in. To me that's a clue that something is going on.

Well, given what the Cloak does, there can only be one real possibility: who was hiding under it?

Could also be what the Cloak IS. I doubt it’s a Horcrux, for one thing, but could it be Godric Gryffindor’s relic?

If someone was hiding in GH that night (with or without the cloak), my bet is Snape. Seriously.

General points about Secret Keeping

Since we haven't got to book 3 yet, we'll save discussion of the Fidelius Charm. However there ARE several fishy things about that story and you guys are picking some of em up :)

Analysis: Chapters 9-17 of Book One.

A very interesting theory some people have proposed is that Rowling wrote the seven tasks with the 7 books in mind.

The 1st task is about a multi-headed monster. Fluffy parallels Quirrel.

The 2nd task is about a strangling/paralyzing, snakelike monster (and the solution is found by Hermione). The Devil’s Snare parallels the Basilisk.

The 3rd task is about finding the right key out of a confusing flock, and it turns out to be the key with a broken wing. In the 3rd book Harry has to pick who’s the real culprit out of all the suspects, and it turns out to be the guy with a missing finger. The trio initially thinks the keys are birds, a reference to Sirius and Pettigrew being secret Animagi.

The 4th task is the chess game which parallels the Triwizard Cup, including Ron’s sacrifice = Cedric’s death.

The 5th task is the troll… I’m having trouble with this one.

The 6th task is the potions. This is Snape’s task, and the solution is to figure out the “Riddle,” which potions are helpful and which are secretly poison. Very obvious parallels here, including the fact that Harry has to continue alone after Hermione/Dumbledore drinks a potion.

This leads to our first Unwarranted Speculation!

UWS #1: The 7th book will have something to do with: a final confrontation with Voldemort, something that grants eternal life (horcruxes!), the Mirror of Erised, Harry being a prisoner, Harry being protected by his mother’s love, Dumbledore?, magical objects being hidden inside things (horcruxes again!) and secrets/lies/mirrors in general.

Another possible analogy people have picked up on is between the 7 potions in Snape’s riddle and the 7 DADA teachers in the books. Recall that two of the potions are helpful, two are neutral: “only wine,” while three are poisonous “killers.” Lupin helped Harry, Quirrel, Crouch and Snape tried to kill him, and Lockhart and Umbridge had their own agendas, leaving just one potion to be encountered and leading to

UWS #2: The DADA teacher in book 7 will be helpful and will aid Harry in facing his future or past.

For me, this theory is very tenuous because of Umbridge's hostility towards Harry and also because the rest of the riddle doesn't match the theory at all (i.e. the riddle mentions that the 2nd and 6th potions are "twins"). However, I'll leave it up for now.

Now, on to Dumbledore's conversation with Harry.

The most salient part of their conversation - apart from Dumbledore foreshadowing the existence of horcruxes - is Dumbledore's explanation for why Quirrel could not touch Harry: his mother's sacrifice to protect him created a powerful enchantmen "in your very blood." Later (GOF) both Voldemort and Dumbledore will use this same story to explain why the AK curse rebounded.

This story is pretty holey to be honest. Is this protection created every time a mother dies to save her child? How unlikely is it that Lily's sacrifice is the very first time such a thing has happened? How could Voldemort be taken by surprise by this?

People have previously interviewd JKR on this question:

ES: This is one of my burning questions since the third book - why did Voldemort offer Lily so many chances to live? Would he actually have let her live?

JKR: Mmhm.

ES: Why?

JKR: [silence] Can't tell you. But he did offer, you're absolutely right. Don't you want to ask me why James's death didn't protect Lily and Harry? There’s your answer, you've just answered your own question, because she could have lived and chose to die. James was going to be killed anyway. Do you see what I mean? I’m not saying James wasn't ready to; he died trying to protect his family but he was going to be murdered anyway. He had no - he wasn't given a choice, so he rushed into it in a kind of animal way, I think there are distinctions in courage. James was immensely brave. But the caliber of Lily's bravery was, I think in this instance, higher because she could have saved herself. Now any mother, any normal mother would have done what Lily did. So in that sense her courage too was of an animal quality but she was given time to choose. James wasn't. It's like an intruder entering your house, isn't it? You would instinctively rush them. But if in cold blood you were told, "Get out of the way," you know, what would you do? I mean, I don't think any mother would stand aside from their child. But does that answer it? She did very consciously lay down her life. She had a clear choice -

ES: And James didn't.

JKR: Did he clearly die to try and protect Harry specifically given a clear choice? No. It's a subtle distinction and there's slightly more to it than that but that's most of the answer.

MA: Did she know anything about the possible effect of standing in front of Harry?

JKR: No - because as I've tried to make clear in the series, it never happened before. No one ever survived before. And no one, therefore, knew that could happen.

MA: So no one - Voldemort or anyone using Avada Kedavra - ever gave someone a choice and then they took that option [to die] -

JKR: They may have been given a choice, but not in that particular way.

Fishy, huh? ;)

UAQ #3: Just what is so important about Lily? What is the REAL explanation for why the AK curse rebounded?

For tomorrow, we'll start on Chamber of Secrets. The pace is very slow for now, guys, but when we get to the last 3 books you'll find 8 chapters more than enough for an hour's reading ;) and I don't want to do more than that so even casual readers can keep alongside us.

Reading Assignment for July 3: Chapters 1-8 of Book Two.

Could also be what the Cloak IS. I doubt it’s a Horcrux, for one thing, but could it be Godric Gryffindor’s relic?

Doubtful. We have no evidence that Harry's Cloak is any different from any other.

If someone was hiding in GH that night (with or without the cloak), my bet is Snape. Seriously.

Rowling says on her site that Snape wasn't hiding under the Cloak. He's only there if he wasn't under the cloak.

A very interesting theory some people have proposed is that Rowling wrote the seven tasks with the 7 books in mind.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. :)

Another possible analogy people have picked up on is between the 7 potions in Snape’s riddle and the 7 DADA teachers in the books. Recall that two of the potions are helpful, two are neutral: “only wine,” while three are poisonous “killers.” Lupin helped Harry, Quirrel, Crouch and Snape tried to kill him, and Lockhart and Umbridge had their own agendas, leaving just one potion to be encountered and leading to

UWS #2: The DADA teacher in book 7 will be helpful and will aid Harry in facing his future or past.

For me, this theory is very tenuous because of Umbridge's hostility towards Harry and also because the rest of the riddle doesn't match the theory at all (i.e. the riddle mentions that the 2nd and 6th potions are "twins"). However, I'll leave it up for now.

I also don't think this one is likely, however, if it were, Snape never tried to kill Harry. Umbridge might well have.

UAQ #3: Just what is so important about Lily? What is the REAL explanation for why the AK curse rebounded?

I honestly don't see what's so unbelievable about Lily's love protecting Harry. Dumbledore himself has stated over and over that it was love that saved Harry, as has Voldemort, and it fits the general themes of the series so well: that love is the most powerful form of magic.

Top Bottom