The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #1

Turn 366 science victory - my first Immortal win

Spoiler :
My first attempt at an Immortal challenge having been working my way through the Emperor challenge in recent weeks - not exactly my finest hour taking me until turn 366 to complete a Science Victory. Very impressed with some of the quicker finish times on Cultural Victories on this map, must try to give that a go at some point.

Started off settling Kyoto on the Gold near the start location, sending my warrior North where I found a culture ruin (meaning that I could go for a second scout followed by shrine in Kyoto rather than a monument). Warrior then found Askia and stole a worker from Gao before running away from Askia's 3 warriors!

I fairly quickly settled Osaka just south of Gao and Tokyo on the coast just to the North West, stealing a second worker from Zurich along the way. My scouts found all other AI's by circa turn 60 which helped with trade and happiness throughout the game.

Askia DOW'd twice, the second time with support from Assyria, both times I managed to repel him and the second time I popped a citadel just south of Gao to steal the Dyes from under his nose. I was helped massively in this second attack by managing to ally with Sofia who helped to protect my western flank from Assyria - without that I might have been in trouble.

Close to the end game Askia popped two GG's into my territory and was massing an army so I traded with him to go and DOW Pacachuti - he obediently sent his massed army to the east and I promptly stabbed him in the back and captured Gao and the 2 citadels.

I'll take my shot at some of these older Imm challenges. I have little experience as Oda, but with Gao so close to me, it seemed that I just had to kill Askia.

I won't use spoilers since this thread is so old.

Initial BO was just one scout as I wanted to try to kill Askia b4 meeting others and then monument and archers. Spear upgrade for warrior helped with my worker steal when I DOwed.

I went full Honor I killed Askia with archers and comps and then went after Incas who had little chance. Maybe I should have raised his final city, but it was decent so I kept it. Then it was down to Venice I had to make peace once to heal up and two bring in some samurai and an X-bow and gifted treb. I didn't spend the time to bring my very upgraded comps back home as I was sure I could take Venice and then upgrade.

I opened Commerce and then Rati and next with be Secularism and then back into Commerce. Venice had lots of wonders!

To my west, Ashur is raising hell and he'll be next on my kill list. I am now going for some naval techs and I think a navy will help here.

I completely wiped out Venice as well and puppeted his one CS since it is a good city.

Everyone hates me but Attila. He's not happy with me, as expected. It is turn 178 and I hope for a Dom Victory in the next 100 turns or so.

Nice to see this game still getting some love. It was probably my favorite ICL - I was a surprise warmonger, if I remember correctly...

Nice to see this game still getting some love. It was probably my favorite ICL - I was a surprise warmonger, if I remember correctly...

Thx..turn 210 and I am bogged down as while Ashur is down to two cities. His cap has 82 defense and Nineva has 66 def. I think I need stronger units or to attack others by sea.

Hmmm, attempted a SS CV glory7 style, but the first time, after getting a late-ish free bee Stonehenge, the AI's all founded religions after me and all picked religious buildings. Tried restarting, and my t40 would-be Stonehenge was beaten by an AI. Annoying.

Hmmm, attempted a SS CV glory7 style, but the first time, after getting a late-ish free bee Stonehenge, the AI's all founded religions after me and all picked religious buildings. Tried restarting, and my t40 would-be Stonehenge was beaten by an AI. Annoying.

I think you have to back into a SS CV by taking over the religion that makes it for you. Trying to do it yourself is many times impossible.

I don't think you can conjure a good SS strategy out of thin air, I think you need a religious pantheon, DF, unbalanced stuff like that

After a longish CiV break, I return here to find a whole set of challenges at Immortal, my favourite level! Not sure I will ever catch up given the number of games posted, but here goes!

Spoiler :
This was a VERY rusty domination win (turn 246) which was notable for me forgetting some basic CiV rules (e.g. you need a library in every city for NC; you need to hold ALL AI capitals to win etc DOH!!). Nevertheless, I did win. On to IC2.

How do you upload a screen save (I use IrfanView) as a url so that I can insert it within spoilers rather than attach a thumbnail?

Worked out how to do it I hope!

Whäpp! Going through the Immortal challenges!

Pretty rough terrain for fast domination... Archer-rushed the closest AI and took his capital around t60 while i founded 4 expos around it. Used liberty finisher to rush NC. Then slowly plowed through the map mostly with composite bows and crossbows. Some navy and a lot of samurais. Updated to a few gatling guns for the last capital.

Very nice map for japan with atolls, fish and iron to take advantage from!

Full liberty, full commerce, opened patronage and got some policies in autocracy as well!

Spoiler :

Going through the immortal challenges...
Turn 310 SV
Spoiler :

Songhai in the north hogging all the iron meant a 3 city liberty comp bow rush. Then I got all comfy and settled 3 more cities, plus his capital, so that was a 7 city liberty peaceful (?) SV. It's actually my fastest SV to date .....
Edit: apparently that's the 2nd fastest SV for this map? And I thought turn 310 was slow.

Top Bottom