1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Long Game

Discussion in 'Imperium OffTopicum' started by Daftpanzer, Aug 12, 2018.

1. jackelgull

jackelgull An aberration of nature

Now that 5 people have put a point in warming the planet my contributions on that front are no longer necessary.

Instead I'm gonna put 2 points into making the planet wetter.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. Seon

Seon Not An Evil Liar

We just got here though.

Cold X2

3. Ailedhoo

Ailedhoo wonderer

1) A composite volcano in the isles to the south eastern corner of the map erupts.

2) Increase in CO2 from the volcanic eruptions contribute to a global warming.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  4. Everblack

Everblack Blacker then you

Boost the evolution of a velvet worm group (Increase Brain): Enlarge the velvet worm species for help with creating more complex ideas like tools use.

Boost the evolution of a velvet worm group (Rock dome shelters): velvet worm group using their jaws carver rock into hills/underground cave dome like homes with holes they can use retreat underground. This new dome shelters will provide better housing of their species and allow good defenses.

5. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

[preliminary] - 1 point to global warming.

[preliminary] - 1 point to terrasquid adaptability and diversification.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  6. TheGryphonPrince

TheGryphonPrince King

1) Heat up the planet. I'd hate seeing my sentient Pterosaurs die, after so much effort! :(

2) In the colder regions of the world, some Pterosaurs are starting to manipulate fires to heat themselves up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  7. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

1) The southern portions of the supercontinent begin to drift southwards, pulling themselves from the SUPER complex.

2) The feedback loop that's cooling the planet continues, as greenhouse gasses find themselves trapped within the earth.

8. Danwar

Danwar Warlord

In response to the growing parasitic behavior developed by arachnids, some species of Pterosaur have developed biological poisons that only activate when consumed, making them far less attractive to eat and severely culling the parasites. (1 point into defensive poisons)

In order to better grasp their primitive tools, a unique development has begun among the Pterosaurs - their forelimbs are beginning to be divided into seperate wings and arms. While this will be a lengthy process, in the end the species as a whole would likely benefit from it. (1 point into seperating wings and arms :p)

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  9. Radagandruman

Radagandruman Chieftain

One point into heating the planet. When the going gets tough, the tough manipulate the climate. Or something.

The other point goes into developing culture among land cephalopods, because sentient squiddies are awesome.

10. Alguerath

Alguerath Chieftain

-Some species of tree-dweller Arachnids begin to develop a set of two extra limbs in their backs, ending in manipulator appendages, these can be folded into their backs again if need be.

-Arachnids begin to develop more complex methods of communication, for coordination during hunts and primitive communal interaction.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  11. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

1 into warming

1 into diversification of the airborne arachnids, some species develop the ability to parasitise pterosaurs

12. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

- Smart dolphin squids step onto land :3

- subspecies of mammoth squids grow LARGER.

13. Marcher Jovian

Marcher Jovian Emperor

2 points to boost the power of Aile’s volcano.

14. Immaculate

Immaculate unerring

Cephalopod Amphibiousness
    Building on Angst's development (again), intelligent cephalopods develop true amphibiousness so they can live and operate effectively on both land and at sea.

Tectonic Instability

More rugged terrain (new small islands, mountains and gorges, undersea trenches), earthquakes, numerous relatively small volcanoes, geysers, rivers of lava (localized), etc.

15. Nuka-sama

Nuka-sama See ya! It has been a fun decade!

Ice Ice baby

Daftpanzer likes this.
  16. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

Moderator Announcement: this is an experimental game and some things have come to light that I didn't anticipate, we have this 'race to intelligence' scenario where a lot of the player actions are going on intelligence in the race to be the first sentient species. It's understandable but its also a bit shallow and probably not that fun. Following chat on #discord, I'm hereby implementing a rule that you can't evolve intelligence directly, at least not higher intelligence. Sentience will be something that triggers when the conditions are right (a moderator decision). I'll still allow player point spending for all the things that can help, such as manipulator limbs, sociability, and well - anything else you can think of.

All orders mentioning intelligence will now be interpreted in other ways. Please do feel free to edit your orders.

Another thing I'm considering is enforcing 'blind' orders, IE orders by PM or by private discord message only. This would prevent the situation of people cancelling each other's orders out when it comes to the climate, and would probably make things more interesting. Please do let me know what you think about that.

@Danwar, the way I imagined the intelligence of the pterosaurs and cephalopods is not quite as high as would make sense for your orders - true culture and sentience doesn't exist yet. It would be more like chimps talking to dolphins. Sorry if I gave impressions otherwise - in discord I thought you were thinking ahead.

Angst and thomas.berubeg like this.
  17. thomas.berubeg

I imagine the now extinct vent-squids were somewhat mid-paleolithic (homo erectus to a bit before AMH) while what's alive and active is mostly just on the level of australopithecus? (All of these of course filtered through the alien context of a cephalopod's intelligence)

18. Daftpanzer

Daftpanzer There may be more posts after this.

OK guys, orders will lock in ~24 hours from this post so I can start on the next update. If you wanna protest that please let me know asap.

Please bear in mind the rule changes I posted about above - high intelligence is no longer directly 'evolveable' by player actions.

Also if you think 'blind' orders by PM only is something you' d like to see, please let me know also.

@Thomas that sounds good to me also, although, as you said the comparisons will not be exact :)

19. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

I think blind orders is a great idea. I really like things being in the open, but there has been a wee bit too much powergaming in regards to climate (something I don't personally like participating in beyond the epic supervolcano, but that can be communally planned in discord anyways). Perhaps publicize player orders as the update hits would work out as a good medium.

thomas.berubeg likes this.
  20. thomas.berubeg

I do like the idea of blind orders too