The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about getting this computer. The specs look amazing for the price. However the whole thing is 8.5 pounds and looks like a brick. Anyone have any idea how inconvenient this will be carrying place to place? Mostly just one long distance to another every few days. But maybe eventually more often like a couple times a day. Though I'm not too worried about that, since that won't be for a year or two.

Thinking about getting this computer. The specs look amazing for the price. However the whole thing is 8.5 pounds and looks like a brick. Anyone have any idea how inconvenient this will be carrying place to place? Mostly just one long distance to another every few days. But maybe eventually more often like a couple times a day. Though I'm not too worried about that, since that won't be for a year or two.

It says it's out of stock.

It says it's out of stock.

It's out of stock there but I am planning on buying it from somewhere else. That's just a good page with a lot of information.

It's $950 on Amazon, and no tax too I believe. ;)

checked my friend suggestions on facebook today and I noticed this girl that I have no friends in common with appeared on the list. We have no common personal info or groups. That girl and I where in the same chat a few times when I was 14 (we are now 20). She lives in the same city as I do. I suspect that she searched my name.

The thing is that she was a 6/10 when she was 14 but now is a 9. She blossomed and she is single.

Is it creepy to send a friend request? A friend request and a message?

checked my friend suggestions on facebook today and I noticed this girl that I have no friends in common with appeared on the list. We have no common personal info or groups. That girl and I where in the same chat a few times when I was 14 (we are now 20). She lives in the same city as I do. I suspect that she searched my name.

The thing is that she was a 6/10 when she was 14 but now is a 9. She blossomed and she is single.

Yes, it is creepy.

£1 coin = shekel. X nicker = x £ (only really used as x nicker). Note = £20 note (generally £20 notes are what ATM's dispense and what people carry, with £10's and £5's as change and £50's being slightly problematic to spend). Pony = £25. Ton = £100. Monkey = £500. Grand = £1000.

That about does it for the UK, I think. So you use "grand" for a thousand units of currency too. And the 20 denomination is also the most commonly used one too.

Ah, the shilling. Good to know. :)

Any other examples?
$1 = standard terms e.g. clam/simoleon/single, $10 = sawbuck, $20 = double sawbuck, $100 = C-note/century

slang terms for the men on bills also used e.g. $2 = Jefferson/TJ, $5 = Lincoln, $10 = Hamilton, $20 = Jackson, $50 = Grant, $100 = Benjamin (almost never Franklin); sometimes a pile of money is indiscriminately called "[a bunch of] dead presidents"

"large" and "grand" are units of a thousand

generalized terms for money are pretty plentiful e.g. green (for older bills) and Monopoly money (for new-style ones), along with all the obvious ones like bread, scrilla, loot, lucre, paper, ducats, etc.

Depends on the message I guess, and how she is as a person. I'm not exactly an expert on Facebook "game" but with the limited experience I have, I'd send a message asking if she really is "that girl" you chatted with or not. From there you'd branch out, ask what she's been up to, etc etc just make good small talk until you, eventually, come to a point where sending a friend request just seems natural.

If it doesn't go well, you don't send the friend request. If it does go well, you eventually ask for her number and then set up a fika ;)

A question. I'm compiling a newspaper index on my site which is grouped by locaiton. A vast majority of the newspapers are from North America, with smatterings from other continents. The two smallest groups are Australasia and the "far east" (e.g. I have papers from Singapore & Malaysia if I spelled that right). COnsidering this, and the fact that theyre in similar geographical locations, do you suppose it would be ok to group the two together?

Did Berlusconi get a hair piece or implants or something recently? These latest photos of him seem to show more hair on top that I remember him having.

I have a question. Two weeks ago I was texting in class and got my phone taken away (bound to happen eventually, I text all the time in school). Tomorrow, my mother is planning on going to the front office at my school to pick it up, that's the regular procedure here. When she picks it up, she's terribly nosy and she's probably going to try to snoop through my phone, which is a bit of a problem seeing as there are things on my phone that might not be exactly proper for a fifteen year-old to have on his phone ... or at least my mother wouldn't think so. The phone was on for about two weeks, but I don't think it was open. Is there any chance it has ran out of batteries? If it's out of batteries, my mom can't snoop around, and that would help me a lot.

I'd have to suggest not texting in class. If I were you, I'd go in and tell them about the situation, and they may allow you to take out the battery. It might help to say that you have texts talking about a gift you were getting your mother for christmas, or something like that.

The batteries last a long time when the phone isn't in use. You could try sending yourself 4000 texts to see if it will kill the battery in time.

But basically you're hosed for being an idiot and getting your phone taken :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom