The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
ahh well that's a good reason for a lot of people. I don't text a lot though but what I do I honestly wouldn't care if anyone saw. Anytime I would care I delete before any occasion that someone would have my phone.

How come people who learn English as a second language better native writers/speakers?

How come people who learn English as a second language better native writers/speakers?

The top 20% of second-language speakers probably better the bottom 20% of first-language speakers, but that's a horrible generalisation and I don't think it's true at all.

Perhaps its because they pay more attention to it?

Actually once in a while I laugh when someone somewhere posts "Sorry my English is bad, it's a second language" when their posts are actually more coherent than a lot who have it as a first language!

A lot of native speakers have habits of speech and writing that are perfectly common where they come from, but are not formal uses of the language. The more advanced 2nd language speakers have learned the correct usage.

Makes sense. Presumably, most of the people of which you'd be communicating with (e.g. Yared) are capable of communicating with you over an English platform (e.g. CFC) due to their confidence in their English proficiency.

Also, we are more conscious of grammatical errors. For example, I'm sure mixing up "their" and "there" can be rationalised away if you "know that a lot of people do it, so whatever". But me messing that up continuously in an essay might lower my grade. And I don't want people to think I'm a dumb foreigner :(

But yeah, there are probably a lot of different things that build up that impression, including that it might not be as true as you think like Flying Pig said.

Also, I am just that awesome.

Interesting side-note: I wonder how you guys would react to hearing me speak English, and if it is in line with what I sound like in your head.

Question that sounds pretty ridiculous out-of-context: I have a single interview from Playboy magazine.... no pictures. (If you don't know what I'm talking about it's best not to ask... or better yet, pm me.) I need a description of it for the magazine index that won't get my site filtered by Google SafeSearch or something and I'm half-afraid to Wiki it. Can someone help me here? :blush:

Makes sense. Presumably, most of the people of which you'd be communicating with (e.g. Yared) are capable of communicating with you over an English platform (e.g. CFC) due to their confidence in their English proficiency.

Also, we are more conscious of grammatical errors. For example, I'm sure mixing up "their" and "there" can be rationalised away if you "know that a lot of people do it, so whatever". But me messing that up continuously in an essay might lower my grade. And I don't want people to think I'm a dumb foreigner :(

But yeah, there are probably a lot of different things that build up that impression, including that it might not be as true as you think like Flying Pig said.

Also, I am just that awesome.

Interesting side-note: I wonder how you guys would react to hearing me speak English, and if it is in line with what I sound like in your head.

I think it's around 4 out of 5 non-native English speakers I encounter on the net, it is rarely possible to tell that English is not their first language. People tend to learn written English very well. So if meeting these people, it would probably feel weird if their spoken English is heavily accented or not as clear.

Question that sounds pretty ridiculous out-of-context: I have a single interview from Playboy magazine.... no pictures. (If you don't know what I'm talking about it's best not to ask... or better yet, pm me.) I need a description of it for the magazine index that won't get my site filtered by Google SafeSearch or something and I'm half-afraid to Wiki it. Can someone help me here?

You can probably mention Playboy and not have any problems. After all, PB is mentioned in many contexts that do not include nude pictures. For example, if you Google Pamela Anderson then the second and third links that come up are Wikipedia and IMDB, both of which talk about her Playboy appearances being the a big part of her early career.

Question that sounds pretty ridiculous out-of-context: I have a single interview from Playboy magazine.... no pictures. (If you don't know what I'm talking about it's best not to ask... or better yet, pm me.) I need a description of it for the magazine index that won't get my site filtered by Google SafeSearch or something and I'm half-afraid to Wiki it. Can someone help me here? :blush:
Jimmy Carter did an interview with Playboy. Why, I don't know; but I can affirm there wouldn't be any dirty picture of an aging Georgian Peanut farmer who served in the navy with a brother who tried to sell 'Billy Bob Beer'.

Is it true that the magazine has some in-depth interviews? If so, it might say something like "It is known mostly as a 'Gentleman's Magazine,' although it is also known for interviews with public figures.' Or does someone have a better description?

Just say Playboy :p For the past 50 years PB has done excellent in depth interviews with many people of all sorts.

Partial list.

1962: Miles Davis, Jackie Gleason, Peter Sellers

1963: Frank Sinatra, Helen Gurley Brown, Malcolm X, Billy Wilder, Jimmy Hoffa

1964: Vladimir Nabokov, Ayn Rand, Jean Genet, Ingmar Bergman, Salvador Dali, Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali)

1965: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., The Beatles, Sean Connery, Al Capone

1966: Princess Grace (Kelly), Federico Fellini, Bob Dylan, Sammy Davis Jr.

1967: Fidel Castro, Orson Welles, Woody Allen, Johnny Carson

1968: Alex Haley, Truman Capote, Ralph Nader

1969: Marshall McLuhan, Lee Marvin, Gore Vidal, Bill Cosby, Joe Namath

1970: Ray Charles, Tiny Tim, Joan Baez, William Kunstler

1971: Mae West, John Wayne, George McGovern, Charles Evers

1972: Howard Cosell, Germain Greer, Sam Peckinpah, Jack Nicholson

1973: Joe Frazier, Tennessee Williams, Walter Cronkite, Pete Rozelle

1974: Clint Eastwood, Groucho Marx, Hank Aaron, Admiral Elmo Zumwalt

1975: Billie Jean King, Dustin Hoffman, Joseph Heller, Erica Jong

1976: Elton John, Norman Lear, David Bowie, Robert Altman, Jimmy Carter

1977: Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Saturday Night Live cast, Barbra Streisand

1978: Don Meredith, David Frost, Anita Bryant, Sylvester Stallone, Geraldo Rivera

1979: Marlon Brando, Neil Simon, Pete Rose, Al Pacino

1980: Steve Martin, Gay Talese, George C. Scott, G. Gordon Liddy

1981: John and Yoko Ono, Ed Asner, Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, James Michener

1982: George Carlin, Lech Walesa, Billy Joel, Luciano Pavarotti

1983: Dudley Moore, Gabriel Garcia Marqez, Sam Donaldson, Ansel Adams

1984: Paul Simon, Calvin Klein, Jesse Jackson, Dan Rather, Paul and Linda McCartney

1985: Steven Jobs, 60 Minutes team, Wayne Gretzky, Sting

1986: Dr. Ruth Westheimer, Sally Field, Kathleen Turner, Carl Bernstein

1987: Don Johnson, Imelda and Ferdinand Marcos, John Scully

1988: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Oliver Stone, Don King, Yasser Arafat

1989: Robert De Niro, Tom Hanks, The Irish Republican Army, Gary Kasparov

1990: Tom Cruise, Donald Trump, Quincy Jones, Leona Helmsley

1991: Lee Iacocca, Martin Scorsese, Robert Maxwell, Robin Williams

1992: Lorne Michaels, Liz Smith, Michael Jordan, William Safire, Sharon Stone

1993: Steve Martin, Anne Rice, Barry Bonds, Jerry Seinfeld

1994: David Letterman, Howard Stern, Ron Howard, Bill Gates

1995: Vladimir Zhirinovsky, David Mamet, Joyce Elders, Cindy Crawford

1996: Bruce Willis, Salman Rushdie, Mike Wallace, Nicolas Cage

1997: Saul Bellow, Christopher Walken, Brett Favre

1998: Mike Tyson, Matt Drudge, Jerry Springer, Paul Reiser

1999: Michael Crichton, Samuel L. Jackson, Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.)

2000: Hugh Hefner, Jon Stewart, Pete Rose, Drew Barrymore

2001: Vince McMahon, Bobby Knight, Dale Earnhardt Jr, The West Wing cast

2002: Bill O'Reilly, Brit Hume, Lennox Lewis

Well it would be out of place to just say that as I put in descriptions for even the well-known magazines.

I've looked and looked for the results of a study where one's facial configuration is correlated with their political leanings, but I can't find it. All I can find is just BS about the results and the study, but nothing about what they actually determined. Where can I find the actual study and the actual results and what they actually determined?[

Moderator Action: The bold and large text was hard on the eyes and not really necessary. Changed to normal font.

Did you check Google Scholar?

Why big text?

How about, you know, plugging in details about the study mentioned in its discussion such as author/s, title, etc. into a search engine and then pressing enter?

How about, you know, plugging in details about the study mentioned in its discussion such as author/s, title, etc. into a search engine and then pressing enter?
That's the problem. I don't know any of the details.

That's the problem. I don't know any of the details.

Uh, the "BS" talking about the study didn't even mention anything about the study? I find that patently ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom