The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is choosing between Glasgow Medical school and Trinity College Dublin for her medicine course in university. She is wondering about the city life and life quality of the two cities and which one is better.

She's leaning more to Glasgow because it's cheaper and the medical school is better, but is ensure about Glasgow as a livable place. Thoughts?
I have no idea about the quality of the course/university vs Glasgow.

TCD is as central as you can get in Dublin which will push up the living costs but also impact available social activitiesCollege Green

To be honest I don't know Dublin at all so I couldn't comment on what it is like to live there. My friends who live there complain about traffic and the normal urban problems but the center is small and easy to get around.

Dublin (26) out ranks Glasgow (56) in the Mercer expat quality of living report.

http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/quality-of-living-report-2011

If your friend likes to travel check out the destinations available from the respective airports.

How am I supposed to react to "The Great Gatsby"? I think it was the worst book I (was) ever (forced to) read. I honestly did not care whatever happened to those unlikeable rich people that were the main characters of the tale and I think it would have been better if the New York in the novel got hit by a high-yield nuclear MIRV. Several times.

How am I supposed to react to "The Great Gatsby"? I think it was the worst book I (was) ever (forced to) read. I honestly did not care whatever happened to those unlikeable rich people that were the main characters of the tale and I think it would have been better if the New York in the novel got hit by a high-yield nuclear MIRV. Several times.

That really makes me look forward to reading it this semester. I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts on which weapon should be used.

I actually dearly love Gatsby. Yes, most of the characters are hugely irritating, but there's something about Gatsby himself and Nick's total loyalty to him that is just endearing. Not to mention that the narrative style of the book is very interesting in itself.

Question: Does anybody know how long-haired dachshund puppies cope with cats? The household is currently under threat of that puppy entering our cat's domain.

You're supposed to think it's a classical piece of literary genius, no longer understood by the ADD plebeians of the 21st century.

I, however, agree wholeheartedly with you. Worst book ever.

Question: Does anybody know how long-haired dachshund puppies cope with cats? The household is currently under threat of that puppy entering our cat's domain.

How old is the cat? I always thought the younger the cat, the more adaptable it is. Tiger (my long-haired red tabby) is at least 15 and he's been known to corner dogs that are three times his size.

Why do I keep getting marketing e-mails that show the sender as " Daily Flair* ", even though I never signed up for something with that name? (The asterisk is actually part of the sender name.)

Perhaps you signed up for something else that shared your email. Or someone put it in as a joke.

Would a small FM radio transmiteer designed to be used with an ipod or other small device be strong enough to over-power a reciever getting information from an actual station within about 15 feet? Like one of these.

How old is the cat? I always thought the younger the cat, the more adaptable it is. Tiger (my long-haired red tabby) is at least 15 and he's been known to corner dogs that are three times his size.
I don't know for sure (he was a stray), but I'd guess three years old.

All dogs are different, breed doesn't mean much. Puppies adapt to cats more easily than grown dogs. Supervise closely. Don't let them hang out unsupervised until a lot (a lot) of supervised hanging out has shown no problems. If you're careful, and your cats aren't complete jerks, long-term prospects are reasonably good.

Would a small FM radio transmiteer designed to be used with an ipod or other small device be strong enough to over-power a reciever getting information from an actual station within about 15 feet? Like one of these.

There is a lot of needed info that question does not have. But at the least if on exactly the same channel it should put out enough interference so that neither is clear enough to listen to.

What does "defiantly blond hair" mean? How can hair be defiant?

The writer was just trying to evoke an imagery, and did a poor job of it. It's nothing important.

Are "Ask A" threads still moderator-approved? Tried looking for it in the OT rules but could not find it.

I am translating a short movie about vintage aircraft. One Spitfire pilot says the following:

I have always been very lucky
because I actually started learning
on vintage airplanes themselves.

I learned on a stomp.
And also at Harvard.

Could anyone guess, what the hell would "learning on a stomp" mean? Google doesn´t seem to know such an expression, yet he says that entirely clearly. Could that be an acronym of some sort? :confused:

Not an acronym. Probably an uncommon slang term that fell out of use so long ago no one really remembers it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom