The Modern Era

TD:

In ancient times, the economy is small. In modern times, the economy is huge. But army still costs as much. One bowman is as expensive as a battleship. The penalty should be tied to the units, which could be represented by era.

This is more of a problem with allocation of Hammers, as others have said.
When you have nothing left to build but Units, that's what you're going to do.
And arbitrarily destroying your buildings so that you can rebuild them again is not the solution.
Adding more Projects or alternative non-military units is a better solution to this. I am wary of adding additional buildings though, because yields are already so great in the Modern Era.

About resources. Most common "happiness" is about healthcare, environment, schools etc. Very few people are actually satisfied by certain resources. "Made in China" is good enough for most people. Even if people are happy about stuff you can buy, its not enough. And that is not represented in the game. Not enough at least.

That's true, but this implies that the unhappiness people experience living developed lifestyles is magnified and greater than that of people living in impoverished conditions, which is not true.
See this for example:

I'm sure getting :) from coffee is still appropriate today.
(For me at least. I will go :mad: if I didn't have any)

They're "First World Problems". You have a tacit acknowledgement that these are minor inconveniences to your daily life but overall,
they are pretty trivial in comparison to the problems people have in war-torn or impoverished conditions that lack these luxuries or conveniences that they would otherwise use in everyday life. People are unhappy in developed lifestyles for reasons such as politics, financial status & economy, personal life drama, but I don't think you recognize these reasons are universal. They just have a couple less reasons to worry about due to their affluence, reflected by the Happiness values those resources provide and the difference between those who have access to these resources and those who do not.
(Sorry, to use you as an example, merijn. I feel the same way about Spices <curry>)

Game time. Sure 20th century produced more techs than the first 1000 years BC. But a lot more also happened during the 20th century. The time scale doesnt really allow the same amount of "action".

There is quite a bit more to micromanage in the Modern Era.
Set aside Turn Times for one, and this actually a point I want to bring up
with all of you, concerning the Modern Era.
In games where I do play through the Modern Era, I can spend anywhere from 3-10 minutes micro-managing and playing through a turn.
That's 20 turns an hour at my quickest and 6 turns an hour at my worst pace (not counting load times, which averages out to about three and a half or so minutes total at 20 turns, and a whole minute at 6 turns)
The average ends up being somewhere around 12-13 turns per hour.
If I'm spending 3-10 minutes on a single turn, that is certainly enough action for me.

Stability. I think its a misconception that "stability" can endure huge colonies over a long time if you just handle things "right". Just image that civ spawns were connected to stability. Would be strange. Why shouldnt colonies get the same treatment? Or at least a smaller chance that they revolt.

Actually, if I had it my way, at least America should be a conditional spawn.
I personally feel that I would get rid of the majority of civ spawns post-Tamils, but I don't act on this feeling because I understand that while this is supported by the Butterfly Effect,
there isn't an efficient way to generate or even think up all the different incomprehensible cultures that would have emerged or evolved with timeline divergence.
We thus use existing civs as a result.
And we already connect civilization respawns to instability.
This is why we don't treat colonies the same. They have no corresponding civ.

The game also wouldn't be fun if colonies just broke away constantly from you however.
Again, these developments should be a result of the player's poor management and not some invisible roadbump.
Even in Europa Universalis, which has many of the revolt and instability features you are looking for,
it's certainly possible and doable for people to just colonize the entire globe briskly and without too much trouble.

The design principle this evokes is the problematic one of artificial difficulty.
In many RPGs, developers tend to do this to raise difficulty:
You have a baseline "Normal" difficulty that sets the bar for enemy stats.
In "harder" difficulties, developers just apply a multiplier to the enemy stats like a x2 or a x4 to attack and defense and etc. and call it a day.
That is artificial difficulty, wherein true difficulty would be akin to giving the enemies a few extra moves to cover their weaknesses in the "Normal" difficulty or other nasty things it can do the player.
Civ does this too, AIs are given a myriad of advantages over the player in the absence of true difficulty on the higher difficulties.
Consider that on Deity, AIs begin with Archery and other goodies and play the game at essentially the Noble difficulty.
The AI is not any "smarter" and you can still use the same gamey tactics to play against them, except now, those gamey tactics are required to beat them because they would be nigh unbeatable based on the amount of difference in development between you and the AI otherwise.

These are things thrown in the player's way for no other reason but to spite them.
And people do not react to these mechanics well. Take Super Smash Bros. Brawl for example.
Sakurai is almost a black name for many gamers because of a single mechanic he added to make the game "anti-competitive".
Tripping. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, your character could randomly "trip" and become vulnerable for a second or two,
for no other reason other than "you're to trying to move around too much" or "move with too much complexity", something you HAVE to do to win.
There is a reason why Super Smash Bros. Melee has a dedicated, thriving community,
and why Super Smash Bros. Brawl just mostly have people modding the game to become more like Melee.

TL;dr: The colony breakaway mechanic as is (when unstable) is already good.
People associate their bad management as the reason for the breakaway.
This provides positive feedback that the player is encouraged to learn from.
Your suggested mechanic (colony breaks away for no reason)
has no such rationale that triggers the outcome, thus the expected outcome, is player frustration, as there is no identifiable trigger.

Thank you. I know you can explain it better than me lol

tbh, I don't remember have I read a post about pre-scripted WW; but now everything makes sense. On what era it start to be scripted?

It's not by era. Gradually, as more civs discover Military Tradition, and stay in contact with other, they will form factions and sign DPs with each other while plotting war. You could say this happens around Industrial.

I think you, as an American, might overestimate the actual effect of terrorism on the world. According to wikipedia, 6800 people were killed worldwide in terrorist acts between 1998 and 2003; about 4.000.000 died in the Second Congo War in the same time period. By the way, if you really want to destroy buildings and cause instability, just use spies to destroy buildings and cause unhappiness. No need to have two mechanisms doing the same thing.

I think combat guerilla units are more fun to deal with it. Randomly getting buildings destroyed and losing population while unstable is not really enjoyable.

Agreed.

TL;dr: The colony breakaway mechanic as is (when unstable) is already good.
People associate their bad management as the reason for the breakaway.
This provides positive feedback that the player is encouraged to learn from.
Your suggested mechanic (colony breaks away for no reason)
has no such rationale that triggers the outcome, thus the expected outcome, is player frustration, as there is no identifiable trigger.
True, and mechanics that ensure that every civ is reduced to their core in the end are doubleplusungood.

One problem in the modern age is that AI doesn't build enough Fighters or Jet Fighters. You can gain air superioty with ease and after that the AI stands no chance to resist you. The same goes for ships, but the air superioty might effect that as well (meaning that you can easily sink all the enemy ships after air bombing them) and while on ships: especially Aircraft carries should be made stonger, even another class for them (Advanced Carrier), able to carry helicopters (same for missile cruisers) and paratroopers/marines.

USA's superpower status relies on their carriers => air superioty anywhere in the world.

One problem in the modern age is that AI doesn't build enough Fighters or Jet Fighters. You can gain air superioty with ease and after that the AI stands no chance to resist you. The same goes for ships, but the air superioty might effect that as well (meaning that you can easily sink all the enemy ships after air bombing them) and while on ships: especially Aircraft carries should be made stonger, even another class for them (Advanced Carrier), able to carry helicopters (same for missile cruisers) and paratroopers/marines.

USAs superpower status relys on their carriers => air superioty anywhere in the world.

I actually already built a thread for this:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=513251
You even contributed to it when I was just talking about it in the Suggestion & Requests thread. :(
By the way, Leoreth, if you're reading this, I know you displayed a great deal of enthusiasm for my revamped naval tree and already implemented my Naval Doctrine idea, so is there an ETA on the ships themselves?

USA's superpower status relies on their carriers => air superioty anywhere in the world.
True. I'll try to increase the AI weights on air units.

By the way, Leoreth, if you're reading this, I know you displayed a great deal of enthusiasm for my revamped naval tree and already implemented my Naval Doctrine idea, so is there an ETA on the ships themselves?
Next version will see some unit changes, and perhaps also some changes to modern and industrial technologies.

(Sorry, to use you as an example, merijn. I feel the same way about Spices <curry>)

No problem at all. I posted it as kind of a joke. It seems it's a very useful one after all.

TD: I dont really understand what you mean about colonies. Why shouldnt there always be a risk involved in settling some areas around the globe? Even if the people living there arent represented by a civ they could still want to revolt. Lets say at certain techs or civics a revolt check is made which is based on stability. Low stability gives a higher risk of revolt. I consider that fair.

For example, in RFCE, no matter your stability, checks are done for a foreign player owning Jerusalem at regular intervals. Stability affects revolt risk but isnt removed just because you have a high rating.

And happiness. For modern societies. Nobody is happy because basic resource needs are fulfilled. In medieval times, yes people might be content if having food on your table. I would say its not unfair to say that modern socities have access to all luxury goods, unlike societies 1000 years ago.

And happiness. For modern societies. Nobody is happy because basic resource needs are fulfilled. In medieval times, yes people might be content if having food on your table. I would say its not unfair to say that modern socities have access to all luxury goods, unlike societies 1000 years ago.
I agree with the other position on this.

We are unhappy despite these resources, not because they don't make people happy anymore. I.e. there are more sources of unhappiness. Which is already represented by certain factors such as corporation unhappiness.

Sure. But I still consider happiness to easy. I just suggested a way of modifying it.

For example, in RFCE, no matter your stability, checks are done for a foreign player owning Jerusalem at regular intervals. Stability affects revolt risk but isnt removed just because you have a high rating.

that doesnt really matter though as it is usually better to gift the city away after conquering anyway ;)
It is however really, really annoying to have a city secede when your stability is at +70 (Barcelona, I'm looking at you! :D)

No, I think having the expansion stability malus is better than having your colonies randomly declaring independence.

However, it might be an idea (if possible) to implement additional unhappiness for far-away cities or even depending on the number of cities owned. (but this should count as population unhappiness for the domestic advisor, else it would be too gamebreaking).
This reflects the "Rebell Sentiment" (hey, we all played Colonization, right?) somewhat and lets colonies strain your stability a little bit more, while still being manageable.

Although conqueror's events aren't advisory, I still would like the idea of USA having control of Jerusalem at some time during the 20th century. This is the best way to represent the modern state of Israel, I believe.

If you bother signing Defense Pacts, world wars do occur. I've been through two so far (in my current game), every time with different belligerents.

Although conqueror's events aren't advisory, I still would like the idea of USA having control of Jerusalem at some time during the 20th century. This is the best way to represent the modern state of Israel, I believe.

Not the US, Britain would be a better historical choice.

Edit.: I apologize for the double post. :/

Israel has 7.5 million inhabitants. Do we really have to add mini-states? Even Belgium has a better case, as it has 33% more population and had a colony (making it actually larger in land area than Indonesia or Korea). I'm sure I'll have just as much fun recreating Leopold's atrocities and enslaving millions of Kongolese as I'll have fun fighting muslims in the desert.
To cite Leoreth: this isn't Rise and Dawn of polities.

I don't want an Israeli civ, that's not what I'm asking for. I'm just saying that making Jerusalem a historical area for America is sufficient to represent the modern state of Israel. The mini-state of Israel as you put it is extremely significant in that it causes tensions in the middle east. I figured that it might be a neat thing to spice up the modern era. If it doesn't follow through with the nature of the game, of course it can be scrapped. I am not the mod maker here, I'm simply stating rough suggestions that came from my mind.

I don't want an Israeli civ, that's not what I'm asking for. I'm just saying that making Jerusalem a historical area for America is sufficient to represent the modern state of Israel. The mini-state of Israel as you put it is extremely significant in that it causes tensions in the middle east. I figured that it might be a neat thing to spice up the modern era. If it doesn't follow through with the nature of the game, of course it can be scrapped. I am not the mod maker here.

Ah, my apologies. Yes, that'd make sense, although by Rhye's old rules Israel isn't historical for America ( as they have no direct control over it ). I wonder if Jerusalem could be included on America's warmap?

I don't want an Israeli civ, that's not what I'm asking for. I'm just saying that making Jerusalem a historical area for America is sufficient to represent the modern state of Israel. The mini-state of Israel as you put it is extremely significant in that it causes tensions in the middle east. I figured that it might be a neat thing to spice up the modern era. If it doesn't follow through with the nature of the game, of course it can be scrapped. I am not the mod maker here, I'm simply stating rough suggestions that came from my mind.

In some games, America never expands past the Thirteen Colonies or becomes a major power.
Does it make sense therefore, in such circumstances for America to suddenly gain geopolitical interests in the Middle East?
These "fixed" modern events that are being suggested are out of place, similarly to the WWII conquerors,
which ignore the basis that the outcome of the game will likely be markedly different from our OTL outcomes.

It does sort of make sense for America to be considered the "master" of Israel in game terms,
but most of the time, in real life, it really seems like a case of the "tail wagging the dog".
I would joke that it is in fact America which is a vassal state of Israel.

If you would like to spice up the Modern Era, then it is preferable to find ways to do it that are not specifically tied to one civilization or dependent on OTL specific events.
Your UN idea is a good example of a mechanic that adds variety to the Modern Era because it gives you a different production option to pursue as opposed to military units or Wealth.

Would Israel make the game more fun for anyone? More historical certainly, but I'm not convinced it has merit based on fun. It certainly doesn't affect most of the civilizations in the game in the slightest.

I'm all for adding more things to build, by the way.

Top Bottom