1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Most Moddable Civilization ever....apparently isn't that moddable.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sonereal, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Moddability is a reason others and myself bought Civ5, if we can't mod properly then we aren't getting what we paid for.

2. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

And when CiV advertised itself as the "most" moddable Civilization ever after the epic mods known as Rise and Fall, Fall from Heaven (and by extension Fall Further and RiFE) and RAND have been out for well over a year and modders can't even mod in BUILDINGS, it's a problem.

3. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

I think your sarcasm detector needs fine-tuning. ;) (Though admittedly it was easy to overlook the sarcasm in the post you quoted.)

4. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

I'm very disappointed with Firaxis' pathetic mod support, this isn't cool.

5. lietkynes

lietkynes Hello sword !

They didn't say when :D

The game is missing basic features and has dozens of game-breaking bugs and issue, it's hard to expect perfect working modding tools. They will come, in time, after the game is fixed and finished a bit more.

6. Fistalis

Fistalis Prince

Civ IV. Speedinfos.xml.. change one value. takes even less time.
    I'm sure you have a valid point(I don't know for a fact because I have spent 0 time modding civ V, its uninstalled and doubtful i will reinstall it).. but that was just a bad example. :D

:rotfl:

7. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

"and here is irrefutable proof! A picture of man riding a dinosaur!"

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore."

*blasts off*

8. black213

black213 Emperor

Don't forget ROM + AND, I had so much fun playing that.

9. mihaifx

mihaifx Warlord

modding was supposed to be for fun...people are actually mentioning it in their resume ?! :crazyeye:

10. Dale

Dale Deity

Just want to point out that it was mentioned numerous times in interviews that modding wouldn't be available till about 6 months after release, the same situation we faced for Civ4.

So the fact we actually got ANY modding tools now is a bonus.

Just saying is all.

11. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

Dale, you seriously sound like an apologist fanboi. :p

Firaxis said the C++ code wouldn't be available until six months or so after release. They never said the other modding tools wouldn't work on release. Firaxis simply lied in their marketing. The issues which they mentioned as the biggest bonus points and improvements of Civ5 (diplomacy, AI, interface, modding) are actually the most broken and unfinished. :wallbash:

12. lschnarch

lschnarch Emperor

This.

13. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Dale is losing interest in the game, according to his posts on weplayciv. Sad to see even his resolve waning.

14. Dale

Dale Deity

On the CE box I've got here it says:

They've said on numerous occasions that "SDK" now means the code AND tools, not just code like it did for Civ4.

A number of interviews floating around before release indicated the SDK (tools as a whole) would come out later. They didn't say C++ code specifically, just SDK as a whole.

15. Dale

Dale Deity

It should be noted I've been playing Civ5 for at least a year and a half. ;)

16. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Sorry for being Off Topic but i have to ask this:

Dale, during Beta-testing Civ V did you notice the obvious flaws with the effectiveness of ICS or the Imbalance of Gold vs Hammers or the Poor AI?

Was it a case of Firaxis ignoring the warnings from the testers? or were non of these concerns raised?

17. Jharii

Jharii King

Kael just got a nice, new, sweet job thanks to his ability to add FFH to his resume.

I created and designed a NWN persistent world, including creating the website from the gound up, and maintained it for 2 years. Damn straight that goes on my resume. Helped me get the job I have been at for the past 5 years.

18. Generals3

Generals3 Warlord

You make it really hard for me to resist the urge to break a thousand rules .

But let's put it this way: Firaxis advertised Civ V as being very moddable and said themselves mods were very important for the civ franchise. So really, there is no sane reason why anyone would even try to defend firaxis on this one.

Maybe you don't care about the mods but many others do. And just think of it this way , how would you feel if a car manufacturer would promote it's new car as having the best "air conditioning" and you find out it is totally broken and the previous model had a much better one. Sure if you don't use the airco there is no problem but the rest has been blatantly lied to .

19. Toady

Toady Chieftain

Dude if you gonna counterpost to what seems to be so obnoxious and trollish at least take 1 minute to check up on the guy's posting history....

He is being sarcastic.

20. Dale

Dale Deity

It's against our NDA to discuss anything relating to the development process of the game.

I will say though, that some of the best Civ players from all over the World were on the fan-test team. It's a shame so many of them have already moved on or are moving on.