1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Most Moddable Civilization ever....apparently isn't that moddable.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Sonereal, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Toady

Toady Chieftain

I understand, thanks for replying.

2. Meeber

Meeber Chieftain

I would see that the ham and cheese sandwich has so much 'potential' that some day cheese will be served with that ham in cheese sandwich. So until then I will tell the cook how much of a wonderful job they are doing with releasing advertised sandwiches with missing components.
    [Sarcasm off]
    Remember for some (I don't want to say gullible people) all that matters is the 'potential' of the game and not the game itself.

PS. I have some swamp land to sell if anyone is interested. It has a lot of 'POTENTIAL' :)

3. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

well potential is fine if it means waiting a month, but 6 months? *grumble*

4. Meeber

Meeber Chieftain

Yea but Elemental still is barely playable and not that fun yet. It has a long way to go. Yes Stardock Devs are more accessable which is a plus but upon release Elemental was a POS product. Does it have potential ...of coarse. Will the game one day be a good fun game ...I think so. However that is no excuse for release a 1/2 finished crappy game to begin with. At least CIV5 was a fun game upon release and looked 10 times better than Elemental but it to still has many,many, many issues that Devs need to address.
    I have stopped playing Elemental until after the first of the year (due to the non-fun factor) in hopes that it will improve by then. I do still play CIV5 because for me it is still fun even in it's 1/2 finished state.

5. Vellis

Vellis Chieftain

Am I gullible or are you naive? I knew when I bought Civ 5 that it might have some problems. That's a distinct possibility with ANY new PC game. Whether you think it's right or not is irrelevant, that's how it is and has been for the last decade, and it's not going to change no matter how idealistic you may be. If you're surprised when it happens, I have some swamp land to sell you. Don't check it out first or ask for anyone else's opinion, I promise it's perfect.

I'm not gullible, I've simply accepted how the industry works. I'm a patient person, I do see potential in Civ V and I'm perfectly content to wait until it's realized. I've already gotten more play time out of Civ V than I've gotten out of most of the games I've bought in my life. Once it's seen a few more patches I'm sure I'll get even more. I have plenty of other enjoyable things to do with my free time until that day comes, waiting doesn't bother me.

6. Meeber

Meeber Chieftain

Hell I can't even get into Modbuddy because I keep getting errors that it is missing a componet. I've uninstalled then reinstalled it and Visual stufdio several times. I can however get into World builder.

7. da_Vinci

da_Vinci Gypsy Prince

Maybe that explains the uproar ... it's not Civ, it's Rollercoaster Tycoon?

"No modding for you!" (The Mod Nazi, from Seinfeld)

dV

8. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Also just saying: What asio³ tried, does not have anything to do with the tools.
    There's something else screwed, which has nothing to do with the tools (not that it is a supprise...).

I don't think these are the most broken parts, everything is broken equaly.

9. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

I know this is tangenital to the whole modding issue (if I tried any modding I'd only end up causing Armageddon, I'm that unknowledgable) but I think the part I bolded shows up a big problem with the testing system. A test should be a stress-test, where you take the product and see how many ways you can break it and then trying to fix those breaks. From calling it a fan-test team (and I don't believe that this is a slip of the tongue here but the actual title of the team being used) and from what I've heard about some of the members of the tests from other Civ sites I lurk (i.e. their fanboyishness, not anything bad) all I can see from Civ V testing is loads of people sitting down at their computers going "this mechanic is so cool" and drooling like Homer Simpson thinking of an all-you-can-eat buffet.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but nothing about the game so far has disabused me of this notion (please note I only played the demo I was so disenchanted with it).

10. Maniac

Maniac Apolyton Sage

How do you know? Did you buy Civ5 after all? ;)

Personally I disagree and think Civ5 has several good design ideas. I actually like global happiness and 1UpT for instance. It's matters unrelated to these ideas themselves which cause the potential of these ideas to not be reached. Respectively ICS and bad AI for my two examples.

11. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

You're sure wrong.
    There are bugs everyones grandmother would have discovered.
    The testers probably just have been ignored at the end.

Good point :D.
    No, i've just read every single post in the bug and tech support forum, and the brokeness is partially incredible.

12. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

"A designer knows he has achieved rejection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to break."

(Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) )

Calling the fan test team such is neither a slip of the tongue nor signifiying any fanboyism, it just denotes how the team was recruited (i.e. from the two largest Civ fansites). The "official" name of the fan test team is "Frankenstein team", feel free to let your associations run rampant, but I don't think that name signifies much either. ;) The team was assembled to perform stress tests (at least for Civ4); basically, Soren learned from Civ3 that good players would be able to spot any gameplay imbalances and AI weaknesses much quicker than anyone else, so for Civ4 he wanted competent fans to accompany the design process, to have their input quickly (and not only after the official release).

It's possible that this didn't quite work out for Civ5. I can see several scenarios why that could be the case, but I doubt that fanboyism played a role.

13. Dale

Dale Deity

The Frankenstein team is only one part of an entire testing cycle.

Also, you are focusing on the wrong part of my comment. Here, I'll make it easier for you to catch on. This is the important part:

That's wrong too. The Franky team comes from all over. I know of at least 7 Civ sites represented (and I'm sure there's more), multiple clans, and even mega-fans who don't even participate in any of these but are known by Firaxis.

14. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Random aside, just started reading some WPC threads. They certainly don't have a very high opinion of CFC! That said, maybe that would be a better venue for discussion than CFC is currently. Hmmm. :)

15. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Ah, okay. I was referring to a comment made by Soren in the Civ4 prototyping talk, as far as I recall he mentioned only 'poly and CFC there. Seems that this piece of data is either outdated or was never right in the first place then, thanks for clearing that up. :)

16. Zen Blade

Zen Blade Warlord

Dale,

Any luck with modding the AI... in ANY fashion/aspect of the game?

I have a major (for me) mod in progress, and the last element I am trying to mod before releasing a "beta" version is the AI... it's horrible in a standard game...

and even worse in the scenario/mod that I have made. I am nearing the point where I just need constant war between all players... or a few juggernaut civs that will steam roll over the other computer civs so that there is a viable challenge/excitement for the human player.

Any thoughts (on the AI+modding of it)?

-Zen Blade

17. Izmir Stinger

Izmir Stinger Deity

Quoted for Truth

18. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

Can't agree with you on that. From day 1 of Civ4's release I was making extremely simple mods using primarily XML. Then, within little more than 1 month, the full SDK was launched & the mods were coming thick & fast (even I was modding using C++, in spite of having *no* prior experience in computing). Yet here we are, nearly 2 full months since Civ5's release, & we have a Lua that doesn't work properly, & still no SDK. The only thing Civ5 currently has on Civ4 is the modular XML.

Aussie.

19. Slowpoke

Slowpoke The Mad Modder

Tactical A.I., there's nothing major we can do I think, just some piddly stuff. Strategic A.I. and diplomacy we can do a whole lot, but there's not much point since that is the next patch's focus.

20. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

You really do have to love the reliability of Civ5's band of loyal defenders. Their responses are so Pavlovian-it's *hilarious*. "The game is crap". Defense: "you just have too high expectations"; "modding tools are practically useless". Defense: "then just go back & mod Civ4" (I already am).

Here's an additional point I'd like to make-before Civ5, I never felt the *need* to have mods in place just to get basic enjoyment from the game-I could usually just enjoy the game in its unmodded format, then make use of the various mods to create new game-play opportunities (like my Civics Mod, Rise of Man, The Ancient Mediterranean, White Lies, Black Ops-just to name a few).

With the advent of the poorly designed Civ5, though, I've found myself *needing* Mods right out of the gate-just for basic gameplay-so *yes* I expect those mod tools to be functioning pretty quick smart!

Aussie.