The Most Moddable Civilization ever....apparently isn't that moddable.

I really can't stand these haters anymore. If you want modding to work then go back to Civ4.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Moddability is a reason others and myself bought Civ5, if we can't mod properly then we aren't getting what we paid for.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Moddability is a reason others and myself bought Civ5, if we can't mod properly then we aren't getting what we paid for.

And when CiV advertised itself as the "most" moddable Civilization ever after the epic mods known as Rise and Fall, Fall from Heaven (and by extension Fall Further and RiFE) and RAND have been out for well over a year and modders can't even mod in BUILDINGS, it's a problem.

I think your sarcasm detector needs fine-tuning. ;) (Though admittedly it was easy to overlook the sarcasm in the post you quoted.)

And when CiV advertised itself as the "most" moddable Civilization ever

They didn't say when :D

The game is missing basic features and has dozens of game-breaking bugs and issue, it's hard to expect perfect working modding tools. They will come, in time, after the game is fixed and finished a bit more.

Case in point, I recently increased the cost of all Techs by 20% of their base value. Time spent: about 15 seconds to change the SQL. In Civ IV it would have required editing every tech cost directly or finding some way to reduce global tech values, which off the top of my head I'm not even sure you could have done.
Civ IV. Speedinfos.xml.. change one value. takes even less time.
I'm sure you have a valid point(I don't know for a fact because I have spent 0 time modding civ V, its uninstalled and doubtful i will reinstall it).. but that was just a bad example. :D

I really can't stand these haters anymore. If you want modding to work then go back to Civ4.
:rotfl:

I'm speechless..

I need a vacation.

"and here is irrefutable proof! A picture of man riding a dinosaur!"

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore."

*blasts off*

And when CiV advertised itself as the "most" moddable Civilization ever after the epic mods known as Rise and Fall, Fall from Heaven (and by extension Fall Further and RiFE) and RAND have been out for well over a year and modders can't even mod in BUILDINGS, it's a problem.

Don't forget ROM + AND, I had so much fun playing that.

Just the name "Modbuddy" makes me cringe. Seriously, "Modbuddy"? :eek: WTF. Thought experiment...applying for a job...programming experience (resume)...Modbuddy?...nah just stick to Visual Studio. :)

modding was supposed to be for fun...people are actually mentioning it in their resume ?! :crazyeye:

Just want to point out that it was mentioned numerous times in interviews that modding wouldn't be available till about 6 months after release, the same situation we faced for Civ4.

So the fact we actually got ANY modding tools now is a bonus.

Just saying is all.

Dale, you seriously sound like an apologist fanboi. :p

Firaxis said the C++ code wouldn't be available until six months or so after release. They never said the other modding tools wouldn't work on release. Firaxis simply lied in their marketing. The issues which they mentioned as the biggest bonus points and improvements of Civ5 (diplomacy, AI, interface, modding) are actually the most broken and unfinished. :wallbash:

Firaxis said the C++ code wouldn't be available until six months or so after release. They never said the other modding tools wouldn't work on release. Firaxis simply lied in their marketing. The isues which they mentioned as the biggest bonus points and improvements of Civ5 (diplomacy, AI, interface, modding) are actually the most broken and unfinished. :wallbash:

This.

Dale is losing interest in the game, according to his posts on weplayciv. Sad to see even his resolve waning.

Firaxis said the C++ code wouldn't be available until six months or so after release. They never said the other modding tools wouldn't work on release. Firaxis simply lied in their marketing. The issues which they mentioned as the biggest bonus points and improvements of Civ5 (diplomacy, AI, interface, modding) are actually the most broken and unfinished. :wallbash:

On the CE box I've got here it says:

* Modding SDK available post launch as free download

They've said on numerous occasions that "SDK" now means the code AND tools, not just code like it did for Civ4.

A number of interviews floating around before release indicated the SDK (tools as a whole) would come out later. They didn't say C++ code specifically, just SDK as a whole.

Dale is losing interest in the game, according to his posts on weplayciv. Sad to see even his resolve waning.

It should be noted I've been playing Civ5 for at least a year and a half. ;)

Sorry for being Off Topic but i have to ask this:

Dale, during Beta-testing Civ V did you notice the obvious flaws with the effectiveness of ICS or the Imbalance of Gold vs Hammers or the Poor AI?

Was it a case of Firaxis ignoring the warnings from the testers? or were non of these concerns raised?

modding was supposed to be for fun...people are actually mentioning it in their resume ?! :crazyeye:

Kael just got a nice, new, sweet job thanks to his ability to add FFH to his resume.

I created and designed a NWN persistent world, including creating the website from the gound up, and maintained it for 2 years. Damn straight that goes on my resume. Helped me get the job I have been at for the past 5 years.

Moderator Action: Let's keep things civil please.

You make it really hard for me to resist the urge to break a thousand rules .

But let's put it this way: Firaxis advertised Civ V as being very moddable and said themselves mods were very important for the civ franchise. So really, there is no sane reason why anyone would even try to defend firaxis on this one.

Maybe you don't care about the mods but many others do. And just think of it this way , how would you feel if a car manufacturer would promote it's new car as having the best "air conditioning" and you find out it is totally broken and the previous model had a much better one. Sure if you don't use the airco there is no problem but the rest has been blatantly lied to .

Dude if you gonna counterpost to what seems to be so obnoxious and trollish at least take 1 minute to check up on the guy's posting history....

He is being sarcastic.

Sorry for being Off Topic but i have to ask this:

Dale, during Beta-testing Civ V did you notice the obvious flaws with the effectiveness of ICS or the Imbalance of Gold vs Hammers or the Poor AI?

Was it a case of Firaxis ignoring the warnings from the testers? or were non of these concerns raised?

It's against our NDA to discuss anything relating to the development process of the game.

I will say though, that some of the best Civ players from all over the World were on the fan-test team. It's a shame so many of them have already moved on or are moving on.

Top Bottom