- The October Revolution Part 1 - Fall of the Tsars

Off the top of my head, try CTRL Z to zoom in - beyond that I am unsure :confused:
Still not sure I can zoom further, probably not, but where do screenshots get stored in civ 3 conquests, in civ 4 there is a screenshot folder? Any Idea? Or is there a different way to save a screenshot I am not aware off? I promise no more questions on here after this, I wish I could get a hold of El Justo. Cannot wait to read about your Russo-Japanese war.
Thanks

For screenshots:

1. Press 'Print Screen' button on your keyboard when in game.
  2. a)Alt-Tab out of the game.
    b)If that didn't work, press the 'Windows' button (the one with the Windows logo on it)
  3. Open MS Paint or any other picture editoring program.
  4. Right click and select 'Paste' or do it from 'Edit>Paste' (MS Paint)
  5. Save the screenshot with a name you want.
  6. Register to one of the online galleries (ImageShack, Photobucket etc.)
  7. When in CivFanatics'Forum, reply to other thread or start your own and use

For screenshots:

1. Press 'Print Screen' button on your keyboard when in game.
  2. a)Alt-Tab out of the game.
    b)If that didn't work, press the 'Windows' button (the one with the Windows logo on it)
  3. Open MS Paint or any other picture editoring program.
  4. Right click and select 'Paste' or do it from 'Edit>Paste' (MS Paint)
  5. Save the screenshot with a name you want.
  6. Register to one of the online galleries (ImageShack, Photobucket etc.)
  7. When in CivFanatics'Forum, reply to other thread or start your own and use

For everyone's benefit, here is Russia's standings as of Week 21, 1898, on the eve of war:

My demographics naturally suck, and my victory point position is even worse. The Brits and French are pulling away from the rest of the pack at an alarming rate. This not due to new conquests but because they both get vp's each turn for their current colonies that generate Raw Materials right from the start of the game - which naturally is converted into victory points once it is returned to one's capital. The only way I can get vp's is by conquest, so naturally I invade Korea.

For this war, I have gathered a total of 1 Naval, 15 Infantry, and 16 Cavalry divisions, as well as 22 batteries of Horse Artillery for the invasion. Units in this game have many more hit points - my own Regular Infantry have 4 hp, while Japanese regular Infantry have 5 hit points!

First a quick rundown on opposing forces - first Russian:
Spoiler :

And now the Japanese military:
Spoiler :

On the ground, we are equal in strength per unit, but at sea its another matter. My smaller, non-capital ships are better than their Japanese counter-parts, but Russian battleships are weaker than the Japanese.

Week 21, 1898
All is ready for the invasion of Korea. I have grouped three groups of troops:

• 3rd Army, tasked to land at the Kuril Islands and capture the city, with the support of the 1st Far East Naval Squadron. The 3rd Army consists of 3 Infantry and 3 Cavalry divisions, with 5 batteries of Horse Artillery. The sqaudron consists of the Borodino BB, Pobeda BB and Varyag CA.

• 2nd Army, tasked to support the main invasion from Vladivostok with 3 Infantry and 3 Cavvalry divisions, along with 4 batteries of Horse Artillery, invading from Port Arthur.

• 1st Army, tasked for the main ground invasion from Vladivostok, consisting of 1 Naval, 9 Infantry and 10 Cavalry divisions, with 13 batteries of Horse Artillery.

• The East Asiatic Fleet is the bulk of my naval forces in Asia, and consists of 6 CA's, 3 Coastal Gunboats, and 5 Battleships.

Week 25, 1898

So, war it is then....

My fleet, which departed from Chabarovsk last turn, crosses over into Japanese waters, lands the 3rd Army just west of the city of Kuril Islands, and then steams right up to the city itself and begins shelling it. The Pobeda BB shells and destroys the city's Coastal Fortress.

On the mainland, the 2nd Army crosses the frontier from Port Arthur towards entrenched Japanese Home Guards around Hamhung and Seoul.

The 1st Army departs by rail from Vladivostok and crosses the frontier in force. The army's artillery opens a barrage first on the lone entrenched Japanese Home Guard Division, reducing it to 3/6 hp. The massive East Asiatic Fleet steams from Vladivostok to support the advance, shelling the Japanese troops along the coast. It manages to reduce the 4th Home Guard to 1/6 hp and destroys the trenches, and opens the way for a ground attack.

The 5th Cavalry Division leads the assault on the Japanese 4th Home Guard Division - they take 3/4 hp but overrun the Japanese positions. The hill is captured and the 1st Army reaches the outskirts of hamhung itself by the end of the week.

Week 29,1898
I have alot of catching up to do to close the vp distance between Russia and the leaders, Britian and France. The words of the day are "raw materials" - and the only way to get these is by conquest for Russia.

Battle of Kuril Islands

The 3rd Army, now ready for the assault on the city of Kuril Islands, opens the attack with an artillery and naval bombardment - the bombardment wounds the Japanese 12th Infantry Division (2/5 hp) and 9th Cavalry Division (3/4 hp). The Russian 11th Cavalry Division leads the attack on the city, killing the Japanese 12th Infantry Division, but suffers3/4 hp.

The Russian 10th Infantry Division attacks the Japanese 9th Cavalry next - they are red-lined but destroy the enemy cavalry. The Russian 10th Cavalry charges up to kill the Japanese 13th Home Guard Division, suffering ¾ hp in the assault. Finally, the 2nd East Siberian Rifle Division attacks the last remaining defender, the Japanese 3rd Conscript Home Guard. The 3rd Conscript Home Guard is overwhelmed by the 2nd East Siberian (who suffers3/4 hp) and the city quickly falls into Russian hands.

Not to shabby! No losses but my units do take some damage in the attack. To be safe, I will leave the naval squadron at Kuril Islands in case the Japanese try to retake the city.

Battle of Yentai Hill

As the 1st Army pushes onto Hamhung, the 2nd Army begins to celar the trenchworks west and south of the city.

At the Battle of Yentai Hill, elements of the Russian 2nd Army assaults the enemy trenches after a short artillery bombardment that causes no damage to the defenders, the Japanese 11th Home Guard Division. Leading the attack is the Russian 8th Cavalry - though repulsed and the division wiped out, the Japanese suffer heavy losses in the attack(2/6 hp). The attack is pressed further by the Russian 7th Cavalry who manage to overrun the enemy positions and capture the trench works despite heavy losses (2/4 hp).

Battle of Hamhung

To the north, the Russian 1st Army opens its assault on the city of Hamhung with a massive artillery and naval bombardment. Four Japanese infantry divisions suffers losses in the shelling and the battleship, Admiral Ushakov boldly streams into the port to take out the city’s coastal fortresses in a heavy naval bombardment.

The Russian 3rd Cavalry opens the attack on the city along the army’s extreme left flank from the woods. Charging through a hail of rifle fire from the already weakened Japanese 19th Infantry, the 3rd Cavalry overruns the enemy but must withdraw soon afterwards, taking 2/4 hp.

On the opposite flank, meanwhile, the Russian 4th Cavalry advanced along the coastal lowlands to attack the Japanese 3rd Infantry Division. The 4th is completely wiped out in the foolhardy charge that managed only slight losses to the enemy (3/5 hp) who had suffered some casualties in the opening bombardment.

As the 4th Cavalry was being repulsed, the 2nd Siberian Cossack Division charged the celebrating troops of the Japanese 3rd Infantry Division. Though under strength, the Japanese put up a fiery defense and only after suffering 50% losses (2/4 hp) does the Russian cavalry manage to destroy the Japanese infantry and capture the trenches on the city’s outskirts.

In support of the attack on the left flank, the 6th Cavalry charges straight into trenches near the enemy center, held by the Japanese 9th Infantry Division. With the dense woods as cover, the 6th Cavalry manages to get within pistol shot of the enemy trenches before being fired upon. Yet, even as the Russian cavalry penetrated the enemy line, the fighting became brutal and only after suffering nearly 3/4th losses (¼ hp) is the Russians able to capture the enemy trenches, wiping out all enemy resistance.

With the flanks of the enemy trenches secure, the commander of the 1st Army now directed a massive assault on the enemy center, throwing 4 divisions at the weakened Japanese 5th Infantry Division (3/7 hp elite). No less than 5 separate assaults are thrown at the enemy, only to have the Russian 5th Infantry, 2nd Cavalry, and 2nd Guard Cavalry all repulsed and wiped out in bloody counter-attacks. With the flanks of the city gone and in enemy hands, the Japanese commander ordered his men to die to the last to hold the line. It is only the final assault by the 1st Cavalry that is able to overrun the fanatic Japanese defenders and open the way into the city proper.

As the lead elements of the 1st Army occupied the outskirts of the city, the 3rd Infantry Division followed up the massive assault on the enemy center by pushing into the city. The beleaguered Japanese 5th Home Guard had been ordered to watch the port and was not present in the storming of the city defenses. Now, the 3rd Infantry poured into the streets and the Japanese home guard was quickly overran and the city fell within hours.

With the fall of Hamhung, I am blessed with the capture also of the Phony Wonder, the Port of Hamhung:

This Wonder does nothing more than adds Culture, but Phony Wonders DO prevent the AI from razing cities, so that’s a good thing…

Wow, that was fairly heavy losses I suffered in the attack - that is how brutal the combat is in this mod though.

Week 33, 1898

As the city of Hamhung is secured, the bulk of the 1st Army marches south towards where the smaller 2nd Army awaits, having secured the northern hills overlooking the city of Seoul. While waiting for the 1st Army to reach Seoul, elements of the 2nd Army attacks entrenched Japanese units to the north. After a short artillery bombardment, the Russian 9th Cavalry is surprised by the tenacious defense of the Japanese. Though reduced by more than 80% (1/6 hp), the attacking Russian cavalry suffers heavy losses 1/4 hp)before the enemy position is overrun and the enemy defeated.

So far my invasion is going quite well, and indeed faster than I anticipated. Losses are low and acceptable and no stalls in the advance yet. The matter of urggency is the high level of war weariness that Russia suffers. Of course, the newly conquered city of Kuril Islands riots in between turns and continues this week, despite that fact that re-mamanged all the Citizens to Entertainers...

I am also holding my massive East Asiatic Fleet in the Sea of Japan waiting for the arrival of the Japanese fleet. often in playtesting, the Japanese steam right up to Port Arthur and shells the city before coming after my massed naval forces. Yet, I have seen nothing of the Japanese fleet.

Week 37, 1898

I spoke too soon, as at the end of the turn, I spot the Japanese fleet streaming through the Korean Straights in two groups. A quick check shows me that it is only the Japanese Protected Cruisers and Armoured Gunboats - no sight of their battleships, good.

Battle of Matsu-sima

Seeing my opportunity to crush a significant portion of the enemy fleet, I quickly engage the Japanese off the eastern coast of Korea in the Sea of Japan.

2.25 pm: my gunboats shell the HJMS Akitsushima PC froma distance, damaging it severely (1/2 hp).
2.26 pm: seconds later, the Rurik CA engages and sinks the HJMS Naniwa, though the Rurik suffers some damage (4/5 hp).
2.47 pm: the Admiral Nakhimov CA attacks and sinks the HJMS Matsushima CA, though she herself takes several direct hits (3/5 hp).
2.51 pm: the Vladimir Monomakh CA attacks the HJMS Konga and in a fierce gun battle, the Konga is sunk after damaging her opponent once (3/5 hp).
3.02 pm: the Dimitri Donskoi CA engages the HJMS Itsukshima PC and quickly sinks the her without damage.
3.49 pm: the Gerzog Edinburgski CA engages the much weaker HJMS Fuso Gunboat and quickly sinks her.
4.00 pm: the Peresvet BB engages the HJMS Hei Yen Gunboat and she sinks within moments of the first shells landing around the striken Japanese vessel.
4.15 pm: the Alexander III BB gives chase to the damaged HJMS Akitsushima CA as she tried to flee north, her entire division destroyed. She is quickly sunk.
5.33 pm: the Sevastolpol BB gives chase to the HJMS Hiei CA - the Sevstolpol is hit once (3/4 hp) but sinks the Hiei.
5.57 pm: the General Admiral CA catches up with the last lone Japanese ship, the HJMS Fuso II Gunboat and quickly sinks her.

Very good - none of my fleet were lost and I managed to sink the bulk of the Japanese fleet in a single battle! However, there are still the enemy battleships out there, and they outgun my by a good amount. They are the ships that I have to watch out for.

Battle of Seoul

The Russian 1st and 2nd Armies have now occupied the hills overlooking the city of Seoul and are now in position to begin the attack. I now have a combined artillery force of 18 horse artillery batteries, so I open the battle by shelling the city. I manage to damage 4 Japanese infantry divisions in the bombardment.

The 4th Siberian Cossack Division opens the attack by attacking on the extreme right flank. Though understrength (3/5 hp), the Japanese 11th Infantry Division manages a stiff defense before being overwhelmed in a second charge, costing the 4th Siberian 2/4 hp.

Next comes a massive push on the enemy's center, by 4 divisions against the understrength Japanese 21st Infantry Division. Five seperate assaults on the enemy trenches is ordered - under the murderous enemy fire, all but the 5th Siberian Cossack Division simply melts away. Though suffering heavy losses in its first charge (2/4 hp), the Cossacks charge one last time, and overruns the weakened defenders.

The 1st and 3rd Infantry Divisions attack along the extreme left flank of the line, and easily overwhelm the Japanese defenders without loss.

The 7th and 9th Infantry Divisions press the attack now against the few remaining Japanese defenders, and wipe out the Japanese 1st Home Guard.

Finally, the 1st Naval Division moves up to attack, quickly overrunning the last Japanese defender, the 2nd Home Guard Division. With that the city quickly falls. The capture of the city brings me the control of another Phony Wonder:

That was bloody but expected...

2nd Battle of Matsu-sima

At the end of the turn, some of the missing Japanese battleships steam through the Korean Straights to engage my much larger East Asiatic Fleet. The HJMS Fuji BB and Yashima BB quickly engage the Admiral Ushakov and Persevet BB's. Though the Japanese battleships suffer heavy damage (Fuji 2/5 hp, the Yashima 1/5 hp), both my battlehips arre sunk, and the Japanese ships quickly escape the battle to take refuge in the harbor of Niigate.

That did not go well - but I anticipated it. My battleships are not on par with the Japanese ones, so the losses are not unexpected.

The newly conquered Korean cities are not doing well - to prevent them from rioting, I am forced to switch all of their citizens over to Entertainers, causing the obligatory starvation...

I also complete two new Wonders at the end of the turn:

I also recieve word that the Americans have also completely a civ-specific Wonder:

Excellent work, Brucha! The "liberation" of the Korean people is working excellently; I just hope the Koreans know that they will need Russian "assistance" to stay independent of Japan and China in the future. ;)

One more city and you will be able to avert the Korean War! Your army may have suffered a large loss, but will you consider trying to invade Japan proper to give the Japanese a taste of their own medicine in being colonised? Or, a tad more easy, Taiwan?

Very nice Brucha, you remembered the most important thing, "To Think Like A Russian!"
I wonder how big the Jap BB fleet is, I think there is still some surprises left out there.
Good Story

Week 41, 1898

My reenactment of the Russo-Japanese War has gone far better than I have anticipated - unlike early play-tests, I have suffered far fewer casualties and the speed in which I have advanced is a lot better. The Kuril Islands, Hamhung and Seoul are firmly in my control. I have handed the Japanese a major naval defeat when I crushed a significant portion of their fleet in battle, and they have been unable to produce any sort of counter-offensive against my invasion. All that remains is the city of Pusan…

Leaving behind depleted divisions in Seoul to re-organize, I move the 1st and 2nd Armies south towards Pusan, meeting no resistance. Wary of the Japanese battleships holed up in the port of Niigate, I decide to pull my East Asiatic Fleet to Hamhung. Now that I have the Intelligence Agency completed, I first secret a spy in Tokyo and the prepare for the final assault on Pusan.

The offensive begins with an artillery bombardment of 18 Horse Artillery batteries which manages to damage 3 defending Japanese infantry divisions in the city.

The first move is along the coast on the extreme left flank, where the 6th Cavalry Division engages the Japanese 2nd Infantry Division. The under strength defender (4/5 hp) is nearly wiped out in the initial assault (reduced to 1/5 hp) but is able to completely wipe out the Russian division. The 2nd Siberian Cossack Division follows up the attack, sensing victory. However, the Japanese put up a stubborn defense and though the defending position is overrun, the 2nd Siberian suffers heavy losses (2/4 hp).

Meanwhile, an immense attack begins to build near the center. In a massive advance, no less than five divisions vainly attacks the weakened Japanese 4th Infantry Division (3/5 hp). The 3rd Cavalry, 7th Cavalry, 13th Cavalry, and 8th Cavalry Divisions charge the enemy line are decimated by the dogged Japanese defenders (made a 2/7 hp elite in the defense). The 1st Army commander sends the 9th Infantry Division in for last push and, though they too suffer casualties (¾ hp), are able to occupy the enemy positions are eliminate the Japanese 4th Infantry.

To support the main assault, the 1st Infantry Division attacks positions held by the Japanese 5th Cavalry Division, fresh from the rear sector. Despite a fierce defense and heavy losses (2/4 hp), the 1st Infantry drives off the enemy cavalry and captures the positions 9and is made elite for their efforts).

As the enemy defenses along the north sections of the city begin to crumble, a last assault from the west is ordered by the 5th Cavalry and 6th Infantry divisions. The 5th Cavalry run right into the undermanned by elite Japanese 10th Infantry Division (2/7 hp). Though suffering from the hail of rifle fire on the initial charge (2/4 hp), the Russian cavalry breach the enemy line as soon the Japanese surrender.

Simultaneously, the 6th Infantry Division assaults the Japanese 7th Home Guard Division. With a hue and cry, the 6th Infantry easily overrun the last remaining Japanese positions and enter the city gloriously, singing the Russian Imperial Hymn to the sounds of the divisional marching bands.

Glory, glory for the Tsar! In just five weeks, I am able to accomplish what the Russians were not able to do in a year and of half during the historic Russo-Japanese War!

The capture of Pusan also gives me control of another Phony Wonder as well, the Pusan Harbor:

With all of my objectives secured, I decide that its time for a peace treaty - I thought that, with the Japanese fleet crippled, I could try for an invasion of the Japanese mainland, but I am having severe rioting in the newly captured cities, and already Russian citizens are unhappy and are asking for peace. So peace it is:

I was unable to demand any goods along with the treaty, but the Japanese do agree to a hefty weekly tribute of 30 gold. Not too bad.
I am curious as to what my victory score will be once I return the first of my raw materials back to Saint Petersburg, so I play two more turns.

In Week 45 of 1898, the French once again demand a tribute, but this time demand Copper.

Well, that is never going to happen, so I declined it. They are not happy about it…I seriously half-expected them to declare war right as soon as I declined…

I also begin planting spies in foreign capitals, in Beijing (Chinese) and Constantinople (Ottomans), but get caught doing the same in Stockholm (Scandinavians).

In Week 1, 1899, I check my score…not too shabby I must say. I went from 13th place to 5th place! My Demographics also are slowly increasing as well. However, I need a lot more conquests to push my score higher to win, and I have to keep an eye out on the horizon for the inevitable Russian Revolution…

With the end of the Russo-Japanese War, I decide to relax for a spell and rebuild my armies and continue improving my cities for about a year. I was unsure as to where my next land grab should be. I hoped that someone would go to war with a nighbor so that I could join in, but it seems that the AI is being timid at the moment.

After examing the situation, I decided on the following targets:

China
Ottomans
Persians
Spanish
Scandinavians

In the end, I have opted to invade the Spanish-held Phillipines. In the next year, I will rebuild my army and prepare for the sea-borne invasion of the islands...

Week 41, 1898

My reenactment of the Russo-Japanese War has gone far better than I have anticipated - unlike early play-tests, I have suffered far fewer casualties and the speed in which I have advanced is a lot better. The Kuril Islands, Hamhung and Seoul are firmly in my control. I have handed the Japanese a major naval defeat when I crushed a significant portion of their fleet in battle, and they have been unable to produce any sort of counter-offensive against my invasion. All that remains is the city of Pusan…

Leaving behind depleted divisions in Seoul to re-organize, I move the 1st and 2nd Armies south towards Pusan, meeting no resistance. Wary of the Japanese battleships holed up in the port of Niigate, I decide to pull my East Asiatic Fleet to Hamhung. Now that I have the Intelligence Agency completed, I first secret a spy in Tokyo and the prepare for the final assault on Pusan.

The offensive begins with an artillery bombardment of 18 Horse Artillery batteries which manages to damage 3 defending Japanese infantry divisions in the city.

The first move is along the coast on the extreme left flank, where the 6th Cavalry Division engages the Japanese 2nd Infantry Division. The under strength defender (4/5 hp) is nearly wiped out in the initial assault (reduced to 1/5 hp) but is able to completely wipe out the Russian division. The 2nd Siberian Cossack Division follows up the attack, sensing victory. However, the Japanese put up a stubborn defense and though the defending position is overrun, the 2nd Siberian suffers heavy losses (2/4 hp).

Meanwhile, an immense attack begins to build near the center. In a massive advance, no less than five divisions vainly attacks the weakened Japanese 4th Infantry Division (3/5 hp). The 3rd Cavalry, 7th Cavalry, 13th Cavalry, and 8th Cavalry Divisions charge the enemy line are decimated by the dogged Japanese defenders (made a 2/7 hp elite in the defense). The 1st Army commander sends the 9th Infantry Division in for last push and, though they too suffer casualties (¾ hp), are able to occupy the enemy positions are eliminate the Japanese 4th Infantry.

To support the main assault, the 1st Infantry Division attacks positions held by the Japanese 5th Cavalry Division, fresh from the rear sector. Despite a fierce defense and heavy losses (2/4 hp), the 1st Infantry drives off the enemy cavalry and captures the positions 9and is made elite for their efforts).

As the enemy defenses along the north sections of the city begin to crumble, a last assault from the west is ordered by the 5th Cavalry and 6th Infantry divisions. The 5th Cavalry run right into the undermanned by elite Japanese 10th Infantry Division (2/7 hp). Though suffering from the hail of rifle fire on the initial charge (2/4 hp), the Russian cavalry breach the enemy line as soon the Japanese surrender.

Simultaneously, the 6th Infantry Division assaults the Japanese 7th Home Guard Division. With a hue and cry, the 6th Infantry easily overrun the last remaining Japanese positions and enter the city gloriously, singing the Russian Imperial Hymn to the sounds of the divisional marching bands.

Glory, glory for the Tsar! In just five weeks, I am able to accomplish what the Russians were not able to do in a year and of half during the historic Russo-Japanese War!

The capture of Pusan also gives me control of another Phony Wonder as well, the Pusan Harbor:

With all of my objectives secured, I decide that its time for a peace treaty - I thought that, with the Japanese fleet crippled, I could try for an invasion of the Japanese mainland, but I am having severe rioting in the newly captured cities, and already Russian citizens are unhappy and are asking for peace. So peace it is:

I was unable to demand any goods along with the treaty, but the Japanese do agree to a hefty weekly tribute of 30 gold. Not too bad.
I am curious as to what my victory score will be once I return the first of my raw materials back to Saint Petersburg, so I play two more turns.

In Week 45 of 1898, the French once again demand a tribute, but this time demand Copper.

Well, that is never going to happen, so I declined it. They are not happy about it…I seriously half-expected them to declare war right as soon as I declined…

I also begin planting spies in foreign capitals, in Beijing (Chinese) and Constantinople (Ottomans), but get caught doing the same in Stockholm (Scandinavians).

In Week 1, 1899, I check my score…not too shabby I must say. I went from 13th place to 5th place! My Demographics also are slowly increasing as well. However, I need a lot more conquests to push my score higher to win, and I have to keep an eye out on the horizon for the inevitable Russian Revolution…

With the end of the Russo-Japanese War, I decide to relax for a spell and rebuild my armies and continue improving my cities for about a year. I was unsure as to where my next land grab should be. I hoped that someone would go to war with a nighbor so that I could join in, but it seems that the AI is being timid at the moment.

After examing the situation, I decided on the following targets:

China
Ottomans
Persians
Spanish
Scandinavians

In the end, I have opted to invade the Spanish-held Phillipines. In the next year, I will rebuild my army and prepare for the sea-borne invasion of the islands...

I agree grab the Philiphines, and keep pressure on Japan, especially while their navy is weak. Also destroy the Spanish fleet, man this should be interesting. Very good story, I was wondering though, how do you add your divisions and arrows to your screen shots? Its makes all your battles so clear and easy to read.

He does it in some of those picture editors (MS Paint, Gimp etc.). Also, those city name graphics and unit images reveal that that picture taken from C3C Editor.

He does it in some of those picture editors (MS Paint, Gimp etc.). Also, those city name graphics and unit images reveal that that picture taken from C3C Editor.

Indeed, Arexander, I edit the screen shots with a picture editor (Paint. Net to be exact), and use images from the AOI map in CivEditor. Since I wanted to name all of my units my military designations (ie. divisions), I also thought of adding maps of battles that gave the story or more *real* feel to them. I have also named all of my ships as well...

On another note, my planned invasion of the Phillipines has been postponed. As I was preparing for the attack, I began to spot HUGE numbers of British ships in the Asian seas steaming back and forth all over - after some judicious spying, I discovered that I am hopelessly outnumbered militarily by the Brits, both on land and at sea. I needed to build up my military, in case any attack on my part forced/obliged the Brits to declare war on me - this has happened in almost every playtest game in preparing for the story. The Brits are simply far too powerful for me to take on without maxing out my military and beyond. I will have to look at a conquest that does not require a seaborne attack, as I will never be able to defeat the Brits at sea right now. If I do go to war with them, it would be a war of attrition, where I wear down their navies over a period of time. Once i get the Brits beaten down a bit, then a seaborne invasion somewhere would be feasible...

Except for my invasion of Korea, the game has been rather empty of conflict - no one is warring with anyone else. That worries me, as in the past when this has happened, it always ended up with me getting ganged up on by everyone else.

So, I cancelled the invasion and set out to build up my military to the extend of my economy. My naval forces are pathetic in numbers compared to the Brits and they even vastly outnumber me in land forces as well. I need enough forces to protect Russia itself as well as conduct an invasion. However, time is short...I am still far behind in VP's, and the Brits are pulling away from everyone else at an alarming rate.

Of course, I ended up having the Brits attack me in the first weeks of 1901! I am working on the screenies and should have the next AAR post up in a few days...

Your campaign has gone splendidly! Japan proper's time will come in the near future, but until then, celebrate and break out the vodka!

On Britain, you need not be so scared. With your road network slowly but surely developing, Russia's position is secure; you can use sheer force of numbers to hurt them as they come in. As well, while they outnumber you, you should remember that you likely enjoy regional superiority. ;) While Britain is a powerful foe overall, even in separate regions, the high seas separate their vast territories, making it easier to pick them off as they come in and take territories near yours. In a war with Britain, you could easily land troops to take Shanghai, then dig in and defend it against attacks as they come in.

The only complication is that opens you to attack from British India over land, where otherwise you'd be untouchable due to the impassable mountain ranges. So long as you stay on the defensive in any Anglo-Russian war, you'd likely be fine. However, Britain's greatest strength is not it's armies or navy, but it's FINANCES.

They'd recruit the whole of the world against you given time, and thus if you ever go to war, you must be sure to get the major powers - Germany, France, America - against them. It'd also be good to have superiority at home and on Britain's doorstep by getting Spain, Portugal, Austria-Hungary, Italy, China and Scandinavia as Allies. Maybe throw in the Ottomans too. After that, even if your allies turn against you later on, Britain will be tied down in Asia and especially Africa. You should get Latin America as allies if possible; I use the diplomatic isolation strategy to great effect against Britain. Once Britain is without allies and with a human leading the charge, it slowly but surely will collapse under the weight of it's own far-flung possessions.

The moral of the story is, however, do not go to war with Britain until you have regional superiority and a fat budget... you'll need it to bribe any potential enemies.

Overall, good work Brucha!

Brucha said:
9/10/2? Well, I suppose them being 7/7/2 would really suck, as then Naval Infantry would see more use, and you don't get nearly enough of them.
My naval forces are pathetic in numbers compared to the Brits and they even vastly outnumber me in land forces as well.
Everyone's outnumbered by the Brits - at the start of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if they outnumber everyone else, and it only gets worse. Still, you shouldn't have any problems with them, actually: like Taniciusfox said, you are going to enjoy regional superiority. The only places you're likely to actually get overrun is in Africa or India.

Taniciusfox said:
They'd recruit the whole of the world against you given time, and thus if you ever go to war, you must be sure to get the major powers - Germany, France, America - against them.
Military Alliances don't open up until Industrialism II, though, right?

Great job so far, Brucha: I'm going to be watching!

9/10/2? Well, I suppose them being 7/7/2 would really suck, as then Naval Infantry would see more use, and you don't get nearly enough of them.

After several playtests, I upgraded the stats for Russian units as it made them quite understrength. The high war weariness is hard enough togeether with the British being so powerful. I didn't modify ships though.

Yeah, I rechecked the stats in my Germany campaign: German Inf: 10/10/2 for 270, Russian Inf: 7/7/2 for 580. Worse unit *and* it costs more? Wow.

Everyone always comments that the British are powerful overall, and they were at the time. On the flip side, everyone also comments that local superiority is highly possible. Russia, at the time, was notoriously inefficient and prone to high corruption, and the unit costs reflect that. They never became a major power until late in WW II, and it took time to change from the Tsars to the Bolsheviks.

But I can understand why you'd need to adjust unit costs for your story and campaigns, through. Can't have a good story if you have no troops! :lol: That being said, this is a very entertaining read. :)

Side note: in the upcoming AoI 4 release, Russian Infantry has been reduced to 500 shields, but with the same att/def stats.

At the start of 1899, I had planned for an invasion of the Philippines but, as I mentioned earlier, my concern for the growing threat of the British made me reconsider this. I believed that war with Britain was inevitable, so my main concern switched to preparing for this conflict. It was not far coming I am afraid. I continued building up my army and navy (especially in my East Asiatic Fleet), though I suspect I will never match the British in numbers right now.

Through 1899 and 1900, I am pestered with demands from other countries, first by Germany in Week 21, 1899, for 21 gold, which I give in to. I then am given the ultimatum in Week 49, 1899 for Copper by the Low Countries., followed by a demand for 45 gold by the Americans in Week 25, 1900. The last two demands I refuse - I am tired of these demands and will not pay them from now on, even if it means war.

The work on the railroad from Saint Petersburg to Romanov-on-Murman is completed in Week 33, 1900. This will help out greatly, allowing me to speed reinforcements to the Scandinavian front if needed.

Week 45, 1900
Since the conclusion of the Russo-Japanese War, I have seen little activity near Russia. However, in the latter part of 1900, I suddenly spot a small fleet of British ships steaming towards Port Arthur, numbering five torpedo boats and three steam transports. There can only be three destinations for this obvious invasion fleet - Russia, German-held Tsingtao or China. I am hoping for China or Tsingtao. I also spot a couple of torpedo boats off the coast of the Kuril Islands, but do not sight any steam transports.

Week 1, 1901
As the first British fleet steams past Port Arthur, several more small fleets of torpedo boats, steam transports and even several Armoured Cruisers are spotted entering Russian waters off Seoul and Pusan. I demand for them to leave and, naturally, I receive a declaration of war from the Brits:

Suffice to say that I am unprepared for this war right now. I have begun to improve my East Asiatic Fleet, and have upgraded my older battleships to the new Borodino Class BB’s, but my fleet has only increased to a total of 6 battleships. I had just recently transferred the Pamiat Azova CA from my squadron at the Kuril Islands to strengthen my main fleet at Pusan.

Nonetheless, I decide to unleash my fleet upon the weaker British fleets in the Korean waters, hoping to cause as much damage as I can before the more powerful capital ships begin to arrive. My one hope is that the Brits have left the majority of their capital ships around the British Islands far to the west. If so, I just might be able to handle the enemy fleets.

I also have at my disposal the Petropavlosk Class battleship, Pobeda and the cruiser, Varyag, off the coast of the Kuril Islands. They are ordered to deal with the number of torpedo boats in the region of the Kuril Islands.

Week 5, 1901
The Russian East Asiatic Fleet, just off the coast from Pusan, steams to engage the closest British flotilla near Shanghai:

8.09 AM - gunship Gangut shells the torpedo boat, No 1 NZ Class, causing ½ hp
8.24 AM - Admiral Nakhimov CA sinks the RN TB 51
8.37 AM - Dmitri Donskoi CA sinks the RN TB 51, but suffers two hits (5/7 hp), one from the TB 51 and another from No 1 NZ Class TB
8.58 AM - Rurik CA sinks No 4 NZ Class TB
9.19 AM - Vladimir CA sinks No 1 NZ Class TB
9.28 AM - General Admiral CA sinks the transport Mary
9.39 AM - Gerzog CA sinks the transport Ireland

The fleet quickly steams north following the conclusion of the battle to surprise two smaller flotillas of British ships in the Yellow Sea - the lone cruiser, Odessa, steams from Port Arthur to cut off the British’s escape route from the north:

7.15 PM - Admiral Senyavin BB sinks the steam transport, Sparrow, all hands lost aboard
7.37 PM - Alexander III BB sinks the stream transport St, Jules, all hands lost aboard
8.06 PM - Borodino BB sinks the steam transport Jamaica, all hands lost aboard
8.15 PM - Odessa CA sinks the RN TB 57

Meanwhile the Borodino BB and Varyag CA leaves the Kuril Islands heading north when they are surprised by enemy warships:

1.29 PM - the Varyag CA comes under fire from three enemy ships, she takes 5/7 hp
1.45 PM - despite serious damage, the Varyag sinks the HMS Lonsdale CA
1.51 PM - outgunned, the pair of remaining torpedo boats race north and escape the slower Borodino and Varyag

Week 9, 1901
I continue my attacks on the British naval forces in the region without let up.

With British naval forces off the coast of Petropavlovsk of unknown strengths, I decide to send the Varyag and Pobeda out as raiders, hoping to sink anything they come across. Following their brief battle last week, the Varyag and Pobeda furiously steam northwards to catch the fleeing British torpedo boats:

11.57 AM - already suffering damage from the previous engagement, the Varyag CA comes under fire from RN TB 83 and suffers another direct hit (4/7 hp), she manages to sink the enemy ship
12.01 PM - the Varyag CA turns back and begins heading back to the Kuril Islands for repairs
12.15 PM - the Pobeda BB sinks the RN TB 84
12.19 PM - the Pobeda BB steams north along the coast of Petropavlovsk

Meanwhile, the mighty Russian East Asiatic Fleet spots two separate British flotillas/squadrons approaching the Yellow Sea. The first British group is attempting to negotiate the Yellow Sea after landing 6 British cavalry divisions north of the Chinese city of Beijing. The second group fleet is spotted to the south near Shanghai steaming north.

I decide to engage both enemy fleets, by attacking the northern fleet first before turning south to deal with the new threat. The grand fleet, hidden in Seoul’s harbor, catches the British ships completely by surprise as they steam past the city:

2.29 PM - the Dviendstat gunboat sinks the Plenty steam transport
2.30 PM - the Admiral Nakhimov CA sinks the Celese steam transport
2.35 PM - the damaged Dmitri CA (5/7 hp) takes a hit (4/7 hp) but sinks the HMS Tasmania TB
2.37 PM - the Pamiat CA sinks the Shars steam transport
2.45 PM - the Admiral Senyavin BB sinks the RN TB 47
2.51 PM - the Gerzog CA sinks the HMS Countess of Hopetown Tb
2.54 PM - the Rurik CA sinks the No 3 NZ Class TB
2.59 PM - the Vladimir CA sinks the HMS Hornet TB

With nowhere to run but south through the narrow straits, the British fleet is quickly overrun and sunk. After a short respite, the Admiral Senyavin and Dmitri put into Seoul for repairs as the rest of the fleet steams south to engage the second approaching enemy squadron near Shanghai:

11.06 AM - the Borodino BB engages the CA HMS Cantebury and sinks her
11.30 AM - the Poltava BB closes on the CA HMS Royalist and suffers three hits (2/5 hp) before sinking her
11.48 AM - the Sevastolpol BB engages the CA HMS Hampshire from a long range, sinking her
12.07 AM - the Odessa CA sinks the steam transport, Ossory

The Poltava BB turns to steam back to Seoul for repairs shortly after the battle.

I end the week remarkably well, having managed to plant a spy in London and an invasion force is being prepared in Seoul for an attempt to invade Shanghai. So far, this has been a naval war which I am winning. However, I have not encountered any British capital ships...

Top Bottom