The OpenDev/Preview Thread

@tedhebert - might not want to advertise on a public forum that you got around their scenario release. If it was intended I would think they'd have simply unlocked them all.

i think you misinterpreted me... The Scenario 2 has FOUR battle scenarios in it. I only played the first one yet. There are three more to go. THEN, it'll be time for what they call Scenario 3.

i probably shouldn't have used the word scenario but rather battle. my bad if it confused anyone. Edited my original post to change Scenario for Battle

From the questions asked in the survey, it seems they want to know if you used river maluses, elevation bonuses and what not from the map to your advantage, but really, playing the Hittites actually stopped you from being able to do so, since you had to react to Egyptians actions more than could dictacte those events. I feel they should have reversed this and make us play the Egyptians.
They could simply mean you tried to avoid the penalties, rather than the opposite.

They could simply mean you tried to avoid the penalties, rather than the opposite.

No...they specifically asked if you used them to enjoy their advantages. but it's also pretty clear now, from reading other message on the G2G boards, that the survey is for ALL of the 4 mini battles included in Scenario 2... not only for the first mini battle

i think you misinterpreted me... The Scenario 2 has FOUR battle scenarios in it. I only played the first one yet. There are three more to go. THEN, it'll be time for what they call Scenario 3.

i probably shouldn't have used the word scenario but rather battle. my bad if it confused anyone. Edited my original post to change Scenario for Battle

I did indeed! Looking forward to playing tonight myself.

I can see why @Catoninetales_Amplitude talked about needing to get the auto resolve combat to be as fair as possible. In the late game, when there might be a lot of these big battles, it could get really time consuming to manually fight each battle. I could see players wanting to auto resolve to save time but also not wanting to get penalized for auto-resolving. Having said, the battles do look amazing. It looks like we will be able to fight some epic battles in the game. Thank you Amplitude Studios!

I'm interested in unit veterancy system and promotions tree, in the devs video the trebuchet got two rank, but we couldn't see how it works.

I think there is no promotion tree. Veterancy give you a buff of stats. What I know for the present with the first scenario.
And there is already a lot of informations to manage in these fights, I like it, but adding additional passives from a promotion tree seems too much.

I'm interested in unit veterancy system and promotions tree, in the devs video the trebuchet got two rank, but we couldn't see how it works.
They said that Trebuchets cannot keep these though, as they are only temporary units that dissolve after the siege.

I think there is no promotion tree. Veterancy give you a buff of stats. What I know for the present with the first scenario.
And there is already a lot of informations to manage in these fights, I like it, but adding additional passives from a promotion tree seems too much.
So its like it was in Beyond Earth.

Played the second mini scenario, king of the hill. Took me 2 times to get a win, and even then it was a flag win.

I find I really don't understand well how unit placement BEFORE starting the attack, on the big map, plus how the deployment phase on the battle map, really work and affect unit placement. I tried many different things in the 1st and 2nd mini battle, and it seems to me that no matter what I do, the AI will place their units directly depending on what I did in deployment; I have no acces to what THEY'RE going to do in deployment, but it seems they do ? I'm sure more playthrough will help me better understand this, but everytime I found myself in the position I wanted after deployment, the AI simply refused to move in and defended the flag. So I had to go in, and the river and hills placement then made sure that all my units would be on low ground and get attacked to incredible damage. Anyways

Is it me, or does elevation have way too big an effect ? I had many instances of situations where about even strength units (hoplites and immortals) would get 60dmg to 5dmg on an attack only because of being on higher ground ? seems to me ALL the strategy of the battle revolves around that. Yes, flanking and supporting is important, but nothing compared to this.

Still. It's really fun to have battle play and important strategic importance. The animations are really too slow, but you can speed them up by X3 in the Game Settings. Not sure how a whole game of battles like this will feel; It takes long to resolve a battle when many units of different uses. But for the moment, I just love it.

Will play this one many other times, because the map is really made up in order to make many stranglehold positions in the hills where it's VERY difficult to get around even a single strong unit, many positions on rivers that bogs you down. I feel I have a lot to learn and better understand from playing this map.

20200806162912_1.jpg
20200806162932_1.jpg

Yes I'm struggling with that one too I did somehow engage the battle in a way that gave my men a chance to grab the hill for a change and it was magnificent to watch the immortals do their work!

As an addition AI seems very good my attempts to try and bait them from a strong position all failed and in my last battle despite taking the hill and killing most of them two hoplites sat on the other side of a river at the foot of the hill and just wouldent budge I tried crossing a little way down the river and then they lept at me dealing heavy losses.

I'd taken their flag but then the battle ended so I think I ran out of time and lost? Or it was a draw I'm not sure.

What do you think about the battle ai in the scenarios?

I think it's way too early to comment on that, since I'm barely understanding what I'm doing :)

For the moment I'm thinking it's pretty good, but also feeling that's mainly because I'm learning the system really without a whole lot of help/instructions... and I won first try on battle one, and second time one battle teo, so maybe that means it's NOT so good ? :)

Many things I don't get yet, espacially LOS during battle.

I will say that I'm really not a fan of the capture thw flag thing... seems too easy to cheese for my tastes

I will say that I'm really not a fan of the capture thw flag thing... seems too easy to cheese for my tastes
I think it is probably needed, otherwise you can simply kite which tend to be a big issue in turn based combat and encourage range unit spam over anything else. They could rename it to capture the supply train or something like that instead of flag to make it sound like something that was the goal in battles.

Yes I'm struggling with that one too I did somehow engage the battle in a way that gave my men a chance to grab the hill for a change and it was magnificent to watch the immortals do their work!

As an addition AI seems very good my attempts to try and bait them from a strong position all failed and in my last battle despite taking the hill and killing most of them two hoplites sat on the other side of a river at the foot of the hill and just wouldent budge I tried crossing a little way down the river and then they lept at me dealing heavy losses.

I'd taken their flag but then the battle ended so I think I ran out of time and lost? Or it was a draw I'm not sure.

there are only 2 turns to that scenario, so 6 rounds total max... if you had a unit standing on the flag at the end that means you won... you have to watch the normal map after the battle, there's an icon where the battle took place and it will show either VICTORY or DEFEAT on it. plus clicking on it will show stats details

Top Bottom