1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

Civ is pretty inconsistent in that regard, but on this case it specifically refers to the Ottoman dynasty, so no other Turkish empires such as Atatürk's Republic or AoE2's (Seljuq) Turks. Definitely not the entire Turkish Civ as a whole.

Kimiimaro, Kjimmet, Siptah and 2 others like this.
  2. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Prince

Wut... Why?

Regarding the Ottomans, I'm also not a domination player so they won't be high up the list of new civs to try for me but it's still a great design.

And by great I simply mean interesting, not powerful. They've done well with the civs in GS, each will feel quite distinct, which is not the case with all civs in the game.

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Looking up information on him it was interesting to see that his vizier grew up as a slave in the empire. This might be a reason why the Janissary goes in with the LUA, even though I'm not sure if he was one or not.
    I agree though it would make more since if the Corsair was his UU but I also don't think it will matter since I doubt we will get another official Ottoman leader.

Most likely for continuity reason. It's been called the Ottomans every game they have been in. Then again we're getting Phoenicia over Carthage, but that might be different.

4. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I predict Someone will care enough to seize an opportunity to offer a pedantic explanation.

Suffice to say, probably a similar reason as to why the Roman Empire is called "Rome" instead of "Italy".

5. Lord Lakely

England's ability should be Magna Carta: Receive a free Economic Policy slot in any Government. +1 production and +1 housing from Farms that are part of a Farming Triangle. Farming Triangles cannot be pillaged.

Workshop of the World is fine, though?

6. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Agreed!

I may be totally off here, but I'm under the impression that, in English, the Ottoman empire was not referred to as Turkey; only the modern nation gets that name. And this civ represents a bigger empire than modern Turkey as well. Also, they were called Ottoman in Civ V.

It's not entirely consistent (why the modern name Indonesia, for example), but for many Americans and Western Europeans, Turkey is perceived as quite different from the Ottoman empire, even though there was geographical overlap.

DWilson likes this.
  7. AriochIV

AriochIV Analyst

Also, there were a variety of Turkish civilization before and after that bore no resemblance at all to the Ottoman empire. Hittites, anyone? Byzantium? Troy?

8. Lord Lakely

The Hittites aren't Turks. At all.

Meluhhan, Kimiimaro, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The Janissary in Civ VI won't heal like crazy as in Civ V anymore (Scythian military units do that instead).

However, the Ottomans in Civ VI are no joke, unlike the Ottomans in Civ V pre-G&K.

10. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

A discount on siege units as well as a 7 movement "no cost" coastal raider that arrives early. What's not to like?

11. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Same reason it's not going to be "First Look: Lebanon". Those were different cultures and times, even if they are our ancestors whose heritage we may or may not honor.

CivLuvah likes this.
  12. sonicmyst

sonicmyst Emperor

I would imagine that Carl is the one seated along with Ed and Pete. Someone else is driving and Carl will frequently interrupt the discussion because he plays better. Lol.

Ondolindë likes this.
  13. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

Wow, Suleiman is hawt. I am having a man crush on a video game character now... :crazyeye:

14. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Why is that a problem? It pays homage to the Great Turkish Bombard, a siege engine that Suleiman I would have actually used, as well as many, many others, since it was still in working order in the 1800s.

the_m likes this.
  15. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

If anyone plays Europa Universalis IV, the Ottomans have a special Age of Discovery ability, and it's +33% to siege. I mean, Mehmed the Conqueror took Constantinople in 1453, which hadn't easily fallen to other sieges before. The Ottomans also sieged Vienna in 1683, so... seems like they were really into sieging. :D

the_m and Kimiimaro like this.
  16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I'm certain they cannot. Everyone is assuming they can which is driving me nuts. Why else would they get a free promotion? The promotion is there so players don't start too far behind with their fresh units, especially since this is a late bloomer civ anyways. Yes, I know you can use this civ early, especially if you choose your unique governor with your first governor slot, but for the most part they are a late bloomer civ, at least domination wise.

Meluhhan and Victoria like this.
  17. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

I'm nearly certain as well. For era score only IMO.

18. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

There have been unique units with free promotions in Civ games before; they simply don't get the promotion if they upgrade unless it's a unique promotion. There's no reason at all to expect the Jannisary doesn't follow the same rules as every other unique unit that replaces an upgrade chain unit unless we learn otherwise.

Siptah likes this.
  19. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I asked Ed Beach on Twitter, but expect I won't get an answer (usually when I do, it would have already come). We'll get clarity in the livestream.

20. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

I would note that unless the AI never uses them (and thus they simply remain available), capturing Alexander's Hetairoi (as Mongolia) get the added free promotion each time.

That's the closest I can think of that applies.