1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

I am not so sure this is true. Multiple Amanis from different civilizations will sometimes be posted in the same City State.

Edit - Ninja'd before I could post this. I guess I should finish the entire thread before responding.

2. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

You can't, per the tool tip you must have 2 pop to train, which appears to be the case even in non-founded civs just the 1 pop penalty does not apply.

3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

You can't. The description specifically requires a 2 pop city.

4. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

Because a Grand Vizier makes more since as a governor. :p
    If you were Suleiman I'm sure you wouldn't want to send Roxelana to other civilizations.

Honestly I think Canada is designed somewhat more interesting than Hungary. The only problem I really have with them is the tundra bonuses. Diplomatically they are, at least, unique.

Catapults are siege units, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

That was (almost) my agenda for him whenever I designed the Ottomans. It's a lot more warmongery than the way I implemented it as I was thinking diverse cities in terms of culture.

conorbebe likes this.
  5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Although they mentioned in the very first stream that the civs in that stream were getting makeovers. And Zulu was in that first stream. I still wonder what they plan on doing with the Zulu. The Ottomans have a loyalty bonus similar to the zulu, actually better since it doesn't require leaving a very powerful corps or army there.

AvianBritish likes this.
  6. Grumpbeard

Grumpbeard Warlord

Carl is going to love playing this Civ in the livestream.

7. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

The description of janissaries says they can only be trained in a city of pop 2 or higher.

8. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

That's probably why I'm not that interested in the Zulu. I kind of wish they'd do some research on the Kingdom of Mutapa or another southern African civ. But the Zulu aren't just Shaka (something I need to remind myself)

Hakan-i Cihan likes this.
  9. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Yeah, I'm kind of wait-and-see. I'm having a hard time visualizing how their unique diplomacy will play out.

10. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

Oh... I'm blind, I guess (or just didn't read the description properly) :lol:

11. Jewman

Jewman Prince

This is interesting... Suleiman may end up getting along with a lot of people

Alexander's Hetaroi likes this.
  12. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Prince

Mmm. The design is good but one thing thus really bugs me is the name of the abilities.

Great Turkish Bombard? More than 700 years of history and that’s all they could come up with to represent the civilisation?

13. bbbt

bbbt Emperor

They are only 120 prod - half the cost of a musketman and only about 33% more than a swordsman. By the time they come around, they should be quick to hard built, especially with the unique governor ability and the policy card.

I think the description says they need to be built in a 2+ pop city (ala a Settler).

14. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

IMO “Mother Russia” and “Amazon” are bigger offenders in this regard.

Zaarin likes this.
  15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Why do I suspect that any game where this civ turns up on the AI side, is going to end up a war game for the most part? At least until the Ottomans are conquered.

16. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

Take it up with Age of Empires III.

Or with Civ V. This incarnation of the Ottomans, complete with bombards, makes a lot more sense than a civ focused on naval aggression with an ability called "Barbary Corsairs". And neither the governor nor the Grand Bazaar is purely aggressive - the civ loses a lot of its advantages if not being aggressive, but it's not like Chandragupta, Alexander or the Zulu who have all but nothing going for them if they aren't constantly on the rampage. The fact that captured cities don't lose population can be very good for taking individually good cities in the later game once they've been built up, or for an early population boost, without committing you to a full-on domination campaign.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    Alexadamz likes this.
  17. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Warlord

Although Amazon is somewhat stereotyped, the name in itself is missleading. The Amazon is indeed one part of the country, a huge part, but the bonus of the ability applies to all rainforest, and Brazil has developed on the coast, where there is a biome called Mata Atlântica (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_Forest) and that is, in game, mainly rainforest, as rainforests in game represents tropical forest overall. That fits the way Brazil has developed, and the choice we need to make in game, of chopping or not the rainforests, getting the production for chops or keep the adjancies bonuses. I like the idea behind the UA, though I think Brazil could be way better if we got it later, not Vanilla (like the Ottomans, that many felt a huge gap and now everyone is thinking it is a good OP civ, at least for Dom).

18. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

While I like all the nods they give in this civilization (the Janissary incorporates devshirme, Barbary pirates, the use of bombards to take Constantinople, etc.), this is simultaneously a thematic civ and a sloppily designed one.

Suleiman's LUA has little to do with him. Other than the specific grand vizier being his IRL friend, he wasn't notable for either the grand vizier position or the Janissary corps. I'm not sure, for example, what a hypothetical alternate leader of the Ottomans would be left with. They wouldn't get the governor or the Janissary.

Considering Hayreddin Barbarossa was active during his reign, I think they should have moved the Barbary Corsair into his LUA. This would be in line with extra UUs being tied to the leader (Alexander and his Companion Cavalry, Roosevelt and his Roughriders, Matthias and his Black Legion, etc.). The Janissary could then become the civ UU. Grand Vizier could have moved to become the CUA (with an additional effect to make up for the loss of the Janissary).

It's all pretty messy and they're somewhat too one dimensional. A military angle for the Ottomans is fair, but I think secondarily they were highly cultural, which isn't touched upon at all.

19. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Watch them get someone else to drive this week. :lol:

20. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Right. I was replying regarding the name choice in particular, not the design as a whole. And as you said, the name is kinda misleading.