1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Ottomans Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 22, 2019.

1. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Yes, Carl seemed to be doing a pretty effective conquest using Ibrahim, catapults, and upgrading swordsmen into janissaries.
    I suppose once the war is over you might put him in an opponents city to protect your conquests from loyalty pressure, at least until you go to war again.

2. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

Honestly, placing Ibrahim in a foreign city isn’t really his main point. I see the strategy going more like this: start in your city to spam units, take over an enemy city, send Ibrahim there, take the next closest city with his combat aura, rinse and repeat.

This is actually perfect, because currently I always reassign a governor to the freshly captured city to stabilize loyalty, and lament that their promotions aren’t really put to use there. With Ibrahim, you can benefit from all his promotions as long as you plan on further conquest.

3. DJ_Tanner

DJ_Tanner Emperor

Which also seems to fit the theme perfectly.

4. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Sounds about right. The 3-turn establish time shouldn't be too much of a problem as you'll likely have to heal some units up and/or eliminate enemy units in the next city. Then once he's established, attack the city center with the +10.

DemonMaster and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  5. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Well, seems to have some potential with alliances with a common front, which Carl didn't happen to have in the livestream.

6. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

Ibby only takes 3 turns to settle in, at 10 tiles thats a lot of reach considering how close the AI settles (and us)
    Being able to to have a sword with a single promotion upgrade cheaply and get +1 MP....Janissaries + General + Logistics = 5 MP. Also 1 promotion away from urban warfare.
    This is one mean mutha civ. It's just too easy like the Mongols, rather childishly easy.

Basically you may not even get to muskets, a +10 sword rush. bye bye Impi.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  7. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Emperor

Pardon me, "Ibby"? He is Grand Vizier Pargalı Ibrahim Pasha, also known as Frenk Ibrahim Pasha, Makbul Ibrahim Pasha or finally Maktul Ibrahim Pasha (R.I.P). More respect for the dead, please! Especially the ones executed in Topkapı Palace, of all places, after being surgically outmaneuvered by someone who envied him greatly.

8. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

At least we aren't nicknaming him Zlatan:mischief:

Also, I might have found the inspiration for Suleiman's looks. From the Turkish TV series "Magnificient Century". Hello Hojo!

Spoiler large pics :

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2019
  9. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

And oh look, Ibrahim's there, too. :p

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Well, shoot. That's a direct rip off costume-wise.

11. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Ibby is useful for surviving early Deity rushes and Janissaries are AMAZING. So yeah, the Ottomans are good. Not S, but definitely A because how AMAZING Janissaries are.

12. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I kind of like that they're using dramas from the represented country. Hojo is from a drama as well.

13. Sostratus

Sostratus Emperor

I'm glad people have noticed the build cost. They definitely didn't highlight it much in the video, most cheaper UUs are like 10 hammers less or something. 120 vs 240? Are you Kidding me?!

(In fairness, in civ5 the pre-BNW german UUs included the landesknecht, a pikeman that cost 45 instead of 90 prod. I think it was considered quite a solid unit, even without the extra power and free promo a Janissary has.)

14. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Emperor

Of course the 1st governor is still Magnus and he only need 1 promotion, so not to delay others much.

15. bbbt

bbbt Deity

And didn't folks say Shaka looks a lot like an actor who played him in a film?

16. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

The Ottomans are going to be like the Zulus of the Renaissance.

17. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

Ah, the TV series, it used to run like ten years ago here and Roma named their children after the characters...
    The looks are pretty much the same in game. I guess Ibrahim Pasha was right behind (right) the sultan and Roxelana to the left, played by the blonde actress. Was portrayed as quite a ***** (intrigues). :)

18. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

Agree with Leatha.

Its a cool civ, but let's not jump the gun about the OPness. They are late bloomers. That is a HUGE handicap.

The population thing doesn't bother too much. How many units are you going to need? And most of you are choppers, so you conquer a city, chop out a UA, conquer a city, chop out a UA. And so forth. Your core military industry shouldn't be bothered.

The big deflator, for me, are the late start, and the Bazaar. Well, I guess the bazaar isn't that bad, its just not that good. I bet quite a few people don't even build banks.

So I don't see them as a 'go for victory' OP civ. I see them more as a fun civ and a decent choice for the sandbox build-a-world crowd.

19. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

But you can't stack units. How many are you going to have? How many do you need? Build cost reduction on an industrial unit is very limited in value. If you are playing to win.

20. Jewman

Jewman Prince

From watching the stream it seems like getting metal casting to upgrade your catapults to bombards is way more important than getting janissaries even tho janissaries are objectively great units. The catapults were a straight up liability. That is if you even bother to use the siege bonuses from the ottomans, I know a lot of the min-maxers probably won't because the battering ram is just too good. But even if you were to try to take advantage of the extra siege production/siege bonuses, the window between catapults and bombards is pretty awkward.