1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Quest for Immortality

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by The Pilgrim, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Monsterzuma

Monsterzuma the sly one

I suppose this means the OP just settled on Bronze, Iron or Coal? Good chance we get our free hammer after all.

2. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Okay, so the start was a bit disappointing, but I'm not a quitter. :cool:
    Therefore I've decided to pick myself up, dust myself off, and begin again the work of remaking Netherlands (c). Well, actually just making. :)

Part I: 3975BC - 2550BC (turn 58)

I’ve stuck to initial plan and researched Mining, built my first worker and sent the bravest warrior ever to discover prosperity land. A century later he visited small friendly village and didn't leave it with empty hands. :banana:

Another village, popped by city borders provided me with 45 :commerce: and another one to the north with 79 :commerce:. Generous enough.

Buddhism HBFIADL in 3725BC, Hinduism in 3300BC.

Mining came in on turn 13, followed by Worker on turn 24, who started to farm both FPs. The next goal - BW (turn 34) + second warrior (turn 44). The first one continues his trip around the capital while the newborn stays to guard.
    In between on turn 36 one more pleasant surprise occurred:

Unfortunately, all this is not enough to compensate for crappy territory.:(

I researched the Wheel (turn 47) and chopped down one forest to speed up the second Worker. After he was done Settler was set next.

Meanwhile Toynbee called us the third largest nation in the world.

Masonry was discovered on turn 57. Two workers hooked up the stone, and now build a quarry. At this point I'm not sure whether I need TGW. There is no super land to the north, which means no need to hurry too. Yet it would be nice to have it and let the AI's struggle with barbs.

My assumption - I'm the only one on this useless piece of Earth, the continent most likely ends up pretty much where the warrior stands for now. There is very little food around, two sheep and one plain deer in addition to one plain cow we saw earlier. There’s bronze to the north and one to the south.
    I'll research Pottery next for granaries, found second city to the east, cottage the hell out of it and then I'll see. Probably beelining for Optics will be my next target and desperate attempts to find life which come with it. :)
    Another potential city sites are to the NW and SW.

Here's what I got.

The surroundings:

The capital:

The map:

Attached Files:

3. lilnev

lilnev King

"Orange Willem needs food, badly!"

4. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

Yep. Farming the hell out of everything is also a possibility, but what's the point?

I remember playing on prince I just loved isolated starts. I could build and build and build :crazyeye: without a worry. I really hate them now... :lol:

5. lilnev

lilnev King

There's still a chance you're connected to the north, though I would have expected them to come to you by now if so. This is fractal, right? I like the script overall, but it does tend to split 4-2-1 or the like, and that can be tough if you're the one. Financial helps a lot -- plant a lot of cottages, and try to slightly over-crowd your land with quite a few coastal cities. Coastal tiles ain't so bad (and will become better with dikes), and post-Astro you'll get overseas trade routes.

You shouldn't need the Wall -- a handful of fogbuster will do, and you really don't want the GSpy points if you're isolated.

Monarchy for HR is going to be a priority. Unless you're playing for the 'Mids?

6. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

I made four more turns.

The picture says it all. :)

Yes, it's a fractal.
    I will plant as many coastal cities as I can. Colossus is up on shopping list.
    The way to dikes is long and thorny. :) Once having Astronomy I'll be fine. My only question is: how far behind the rest of the world I'll fall by that time? :rolleyes:
    I'm leaning towards Writing and Sailing as next two techs. Maybe I will build Pyramids after all; I can get HR through them as well. I don't feel like spending 1190 beakers (gross) on the whole religious path. Especially if I beeline for Optics. I'd prefer to spend them on MC which will bring me closer to the goal and open Colossus too.
    Furthermore, I don't have too many important things to build in Amsterdam. Few settlers/workers, a granary, quick library for early academy in my second city. FPs will manage to feed a couple of scientists for future lightbulbing. That's basically it.

I also need to check 3NW from western sheep before settling. There's a chance for seafood. I hope I won't forget...

7. The Pilgrim

The Pilgrim Deity

And seven more turns.

Did I mention that patience has never been one of my merits? :mischief:

Anyway, I've decided not to delay possible fish hunt and sent the warrior right away. He didn't find fish, but something just as much intresting, or even more.

:king:

Who is the green guy? I think it's Zara, but could be Joao too. These tints of green are confusing.
    I will settle next turn to the east, after that I want another settler be sent to the west. Then we'll find out who is our neighbour. Maybe I'll trade fresh water for corner. It will allow WB to scout new lands after we open borders.

This messes my plans quite a lot. And I'm glad it does. :)

8. Gooblah

Gooblah Heh...

Looks like Zara Yaqob, Joao II is darker and Saladin is lighter. Just expand like normal and chop an extra Work Boat somewhere to explore.

9. DMOC

DMOC Mathematician

Zara Yaqob is bad news (very good AI), but the good news is that you have stone. But how to leverage it? I would use it to build the Pyramids and go into Representation while making farms instead of cottages. Later on, you can make a transition to a CE.

10. JammerUno

JammerUno King

It looks like monty to me. Joaoaoa is darkest, then Zara, and then Monty. Not sure about Sal, but isn't he another colour altogether?