The Realms Beyond - Succession Game Discussions

Well, you can try it if you like, but I still don't like the idea of a game where one misstep means you're completely hosed.

Hi,

Merzbow said:
How about a game without military units?
Now that you mention it, hadn't there been a Civ 3 game with no military units? I seem to remember someone trying (and winning!) this, but I'm not sure who it was. I think it was Charis, but I'm not sure.

In CIV, I think you have to select specific AIs as your opponents to have any chance at all, seeing how some personalities only respect power...

-Kylearan

Bede said:
It is truly amazing how what goes around comes around.....

Somewhere in the archives is this thread.

It is another two man SG starring everyone's favorite Don Quixote and featuring another Civ3 legend maker as Sancho Panza.

I thought of that, too. Of course, in Civ4, roads do not supply commerce, so their lack is much less of a severe thing! Still, could be fun. :)

BTW, Speaker asked how it ended. The answer is: via overFeasting! :lol: :crazyeye:

- Sirian

Kylearan said:
Now that you mention it, hadn't there been a Civ 3 game with no military units? I seem to remember someone trying (and winning!) this, but I'm not sure who it was. I think it was Charis, but I'm not sure.

Yes, and it was Charis. I seem to recall it was in the Stories & Tales forums. It was a great read.

I'd be interested in giving it a try. I'd suggest playing on an easier level though, probably Noble or something. :hmm: That could be too easy; prince than?

xenikos said:
Yup - not often you see resources on coastal tiles though (the only way to trade it) and you don't see many rivers on islands, so either way it is an interesting trade-off.

So, anyone else down? 5 players, large map size, prince difficulty.
I'd really prefer something smaller than a large map. I'm discovering my comp doesn't handle large maps well, and I don't have the patience for them anyway. :)

Zed-F said:
I'd really prefer something smaller than a large map. I'm discovering my comp doesn't handle large maps well, and I don't have the patience for them anyway. :)

Same with me. I'd join if it was standard or smaller.

Perplexity said:
Same with me. I'd join if it was standard or smaller.

Sounds good. Standard size, Prince difficulty, straight up Archipelago. As for the leader, I'd really like an expansive leader, and I'd also like someone who hasn't been done a lot in other SGs, GOTMs, etc. (so I'm shying away from Peter, England, Rome, France) -
I'd like it to be
1. Bismark
2. Cyrus
or 3. Genghis

Zed-F and Perplexity - does this sound good? I'd like to have a democratically elected leader. If there's another interested party that replies soon they can join as well; otherwise we'll roll with just us 3.

I think we should have 4-6 players, no less than 4, otherwise sounds good. If LotR21 starts up, I'll need to have time available for that, so I don't want my turn cropping up all the time... and I have the RB Adventures to consider as well. I'm fine with any leader.

Kylearan said:
Hi,

In CIV, I think you have to select specific AIs as your opponents to have any chance at all, seeing how some personalities only respect power...

-Kylearan

This would be a great challenge. I would definitely want to read such a thread. Unfortunately though, I think the AI is too smart in Civ4 for a civ to even survive with no military units. Maybe it could be changed to 1 unit per city?

I don't think a no military game is viable in Civ4. There was a fundamentally AI change between 3 and 4.

In Civ3, especially at higher levels, the AI decided you were too small to bother with when you were weak as long as you caved to all demands.
In Civ4, the AI is a shark. If you are too weak, it will eat you for lunch. With no military you will be too weak. You would be killed if Psycho Monty or another aggressive Civ is nearby.

xenikos said:
Sounds good. Standard size, Prince difficulty, straight up Archipelago. As for the leader, I'd really like an expansive leader, and I'd also like someone who hasn't been done a lot in other SGs, GOTMs, etc. (so I'm shying away from Peter, England, Rome, France) -
I'd like it to be
1. Bismark
2. Cyrus
or 3. Genghis

Zed-F and Perplexity - does this sound good? I'd like to have a democratically elected leader. If there's another interested party that replies soon they can join as well; otherwise we'll roll with just us 3.

Cool, let's do it. 4-5 players sounds good to me. 6 is too many. I think Isabella might be a good choice -- Expansive, plus Mysticism for early religion which will help with happiness. I think this will be a pretty big handicap, even on prince, so I don't feel bad taking a strong leader.

xenikos said:
I'd like it to be
1. Bismark
2. Cyrus
or 3. Genghis

I'd like to join this as well.

Any thoughts on a game where the goal was to win by domination/conquest but all city captures had to be by cultural flip?

Cyrus would be the obvious leader choice and I suspect a small pangea would be the only reasonable map. (though for difficulty an islands map would be .... interesting).

You'd have a hell of a time flipping anybody's capital on anything but the tiniest maps with the new culture system penalising smaller cities so heavily. Could be doable on a small map though.

bobrath said:
Any thoughts on a game where the goal was to win by domination/conquest but all city captures had to be by cultural flip?

Cyrus would be the obvious leader choice and I suspect a small pangea would be the only reasonable map. (though for difficulty an islands map would be .... interesting).

What's so attractive about Cyrus? I would think that Philosophical, for maximum great artist generation, would be essential.

That would be Frederick then...

I favored the expansive Cyrus simply to fit in the notion of growing over the entire world. Hadn't even thought about culture bombing (which obviously would be hugely important).

Of course Louis would allow wonder building even faster and that could be interesting

I've found I use artillery units for bombardment only most of the time, and rarely attack with them although I know city raider cannons for example can be quite powerful. So...to explore that a bit more, I'd like to propose a new succession game.

RB13 - Collateral Carnage

Difficulty: Monarch (to be discussed?)
Map script: Custom continents, standard size
Civ: To be discussed
Opponents: 8
Game speed: To be discussed
Victory: Only conquest, domination and diplomatic enabled

Variant rules:
- If there's more than one enemy unit on a given land square, only units that do collateral damage naturally are allowed to attack (i.e. catapults, cannons, artillery, bombers, nukes)
- Diplomatic victory is only allowed if we control at least 40% of the world's population

The idea is to wage war a lot with catapults, cannons, and artillery, and later with nukes if needed. However, stray units that are on a pillaging mission in our territory may be killed with other units, and we can use "normal" units for defense as well.

I'd like to avoid playing China if possible. Although their UU would fit the theme nicely, it would also tempt us not to use catapults. But if the rest of the players would like to see Cho-Ko-Nus in action, I might be swayed on this one.

Note that 8 opponents are two more than usual; I'd like to have it a bit more crowded. I'm a bit unsure about number of continents though. I'd set it to 'random' if only I could be sure we're not alone on our landmass...

Anyone interested? I'd like to have five other players. Snaproll had signed up already without knowing what to expect, so I'd like to have a confirmation from him if he really would like to play this...uh...rather unusual game. ;)

-Kylearan

Kylearan,

Although we're playing on a lot easier level, the Rise of the Machines thread is quite similar to what you propose. The particulars there are that we can't build "human" units without whipping them to completion. So we have a lot of catapults running around right now. Not too bad at this level of difficulty (yet). I'd be interested to know how it works out at Monarch, though.

Top Bottom