The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron II AAR

I managed to get Doomsday on eBay for, what I thought, was reasonably priced after time and again being disappointed by the high street stores (same went for EU2 incidently)

I'm still not quite sure what it adds, apart from the ability to trade divisions, and an extra 5 years- completely unnecessary

plus the whole new espinonage feature just makes things harder as it no longer gives you the complete and accurate breakdown of enemy forces- how unreasonable is that!

His Lordship Sir George S.R. Loganburrow of Essex presents his services in keeping the colonials in line.

God save the king and all that.

Put me in some job where I can share my stupidity.

Found the HMS Coventry, a Caledon-class light cruiser stationed at Alexandria. She'll probably be shuffled around in the upcoming naval reorganisation.

Welcome to Yuri!

Rheinmetall said:
Put me in some job where I can share my stupidity.

The obvious reply to that would be to put you as Head of Intelligence. I think I'll prefer to use you as Foreign Minister, however. Feel free to insult the foreigners, you are British, after all.

The Sound of Drums - A British Hearts of Iron AAR
Part One

1st January, 1936
The First Cabinet Meeting

Greetings to the Cabinet members, selected Members of Parliament, Chiefs of the armed forces, assorted commanders, ambassadors and to the Minister of Silly Walks. Thank you for assembling at this time, particularly given the current reshuffling of the Cabinet. No, no need to congratulate me on winning the election - the CFC Party was almost guaranteed to achieve victory.

Sadly, if we wish to achieve similar results on the world stage, we’re going to have to completely revolutionise Britain’s infrastructure. Our industrial capacity is low, our armies spread thin, and there is a very real threat that even the Royal Navy could be overtaken by the United States or, worse still, the Japanese Empire. Please take a look at the first handout given to you:

The production screen

To translate for those less informed, the figures simply confirm how bad things are. We can only begin production of a limited number of things, and even those will be restricted. Our manpower is low, so we will have to be extra careful in choosing which of the armed forces will be improved. The Royal Navy should be unaffected, and I propose we begin construction of new vessels immediately.

It is quite clear as well that we will be forced to trade for resources - particularly rare materials and metal. We can use our oil and energy reserves for that, and should continue trading with members of the Commonwealth, France and the United States.

Regarding foreign policy, relations with our allies remain good, and the same goes for the United States, though they continue to maintain their ‘isolationist’ policies. Relations with the rest of Europe can be considered ‘neutral’ at best, ‘icy’ at worst. All appear to be concerned with themselves, so to speak, in particular Germany and Soviet Russia, who seem to be attempting a rejuvenation of their countries.

If you would please have a look at the second handout:

Current technology

This is a very simple approximation of Britain’s abilities, as well as showing what we consider our best military units. As you can see we have the ability to fund up to five research teams at any one time, and I suggest we use that as long as our money holds out. I personally believe we should have each of the armed forces (army, navy and airforce) represented by one tech team each, another to improve our industrial strength, and the fifth one either inactive, or for use in any additional field.

Finally, over this next year we will be reorganising the entire armed forces across the Empire. In particular we need to strengthen our far eastern presence, given the increasing threat of another Sino-Japanese war, and to do so it would probably be best to boost our fleet strength there, simply as a deterrent. Given our need to defend India, Egypt and Britain itself however, this will no doubt cause further problems to an already overstretched military.

If there any questions, suggestions or comments, then feel free to ask. Thank you for your time, gentlemen.

Are we planning on sending soldiers to defend Hong Kong and Singapore? I would prefer to focus our Far Eastern armies on defending India.

Personally, I would prefer to defend India and send a fleet to Singapore as a deterrent against the Japanese, should they think to try anything. At this point there is no reason to suspect an attack from Japan, however.

A fleet at Singapore would indeed be a good idea. What do we have available to be restationed to the area?

(I'm assuming we are pretending we don't what is actually going to happen, correct?)

A fleet at Singapore would indeed be a good idea. What do we have available to be restationed to the area?

My plan is to gather all the armada at Britain and reassign them properly into fleets I like. I reckon a battle fleet of around 12 vessels, including at least two battleships, will do for now. More can be added as the fleet grows.

(I'm assuming we are pretending we don't what is actually going to happen, correct?)

That's how I'm going to play and write it, and how I would prefer posters here do as well :)

My ideas for fleet placements (ranked)

1)Portsmouth - For English Channel/North Sea
2)Scapa Flow - For North Atlantic/North Sea
3)Egypt - For Eastern Med./Red Sea
4)Singapore - For South China Sea
5)India - For waters around Indian territories
6)Malta or Gibraltar - For Western Med.
7)Hong Kong - For East China Sea

Volenteering for Chief of the Air Force.

WHY YOU LITTLE! *strangles e350tb*

I'll take command of Egypt then.

EDIT: Can the Canadians provide enough ships to have a small fleet in Halifax?

As well, I am worried about Italy's aggression in Africa, especially Ethiopea. While I don't think their army is up to ours, their close relations to Hitler's Germany is alarming. Mussoulini dreams of the old glory of the Roman Empire, and I wouldn't put it past him to try and rebuild it. Though I do not think Italy herself is up to the task.

OOC: Also for all we know, the Japenese could get crushed by the chinese in this game.

Blimey is nothing left for the crazy cleric?

Yep, if I can throw in my opinion (even if i can't, I shall anyway) I'd be more in favour of a policy of re-armament closer to Egypt that India, on the basis that Italy is closer, and Libya's closer to Egypt than Manchuria is to India.

Besides, the Suez always needs to be defended, else all defensive measures in India will be in vain, or certainly a lot less useful

India has many vital resources. We must ensure we defend that land. Only Afghanistan seperates India and the Soviet Union and of course we must always be wary of potential Japanese aggression. Naturally the Suez must be defended, but with a Royal Navy presence in the Mediterranean we should be able to disrupt any plans of Italian aggression in the region.

OOC: Doesn't the UK also have cores on India? That is quite a benefit for manpower and industry.

I looked at the British start in HOI2 and I think we need defenses for this resource rich area.

Attachments

• LocationMalaysia.png
    LocationMalaysia.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 205
Admiralship or Generalship.

Top Bottom