The Splintered Court feedback

I know it is nit-picky, but I really wish Arendel would start with Evermore.

I concur, and also think that she should be Green instead of Orange, and that Faeryl should be Grey instead of Blue.

I think it would be best to change Arendel to be player 1 and Faeryl player 4. That would make each civ's main leader have the civ's normal color and have the first chance to settle, so Evermore would (probably) be ruled by Arendal and and Thariss by Faeryl.

I concur, and also think that she should be Green instead of Orange, and that Faeryl should be Grey instead of Blue.

I think it would be best to change Arendel to be player 1 and Faeryl player 4. That would make each civ's main leader have the civ's normal color and have the first chance to settle, so Evermore would (probably) be ruled by Arendal and and Thariss by Faeryl.

I agree as well:

City names: it would be nice if they were organized. Aren should have Evermore for obvious reasons and maybe all the "E" cities. Maybe Thessa should get Hyll since she starts on a hill, etc.

Can't we just do separate city name lists for each leader?

Teammates have a habit of researching the same thing you are researching unless you tell them to switch to something different.

Really? They have been doing their own thing most of the game, both researching the same tech though. They occasionally switch to my tech, usually when they finish their tech and mine is nearly done.

How do you tell your team mates to do stuff?

When you aren't researching anything they'll pick something on their own, but generally they will go with whatever their ally is researching. If they have two allies researching something different they seem to pick one of those at random.

You can tell your permanent allies (and Vassals) what to research by selecting "We'd like you to research.." after selecting "I'd like to discuss something else" (I forget the exact wording, but it is something like that).

Oh cool. There never used to be anything interesting in that menu, so I stopped clicking on it. Just used ctrl and alt click to go straight to trade table or war.

It also lets to tell anyone with whom you have a common enemy (I think it used to only be permanent allies in vanilla, and allies/vassals in Warlords) which city they should attack. I'm not sure if that actually changes their war plans at all though.

Can't we just do separate city name lists for each leader?
I've noticed this problem all-round with each Scenario. Although exhaustive, the logical thing would be for each Scenario to have their own city list, that way we won't for example have the (Momus and GM related "spoilers"):
Spoiler :
Innsmouth both off on some island populated by animals and near Perp's play-den...and near the elves too actually...speaking of which, we have two Jubilees too.

Of course, this is entirely cosmetic, so it's the least of priorities, although it does become very noticable in this scenario particularly due to there being 3x of each Elven Civ, so maybe it's a cosmetic priority for this scenario rather than all-round.

As for things on-topic about the scenario:
- I find it odd that the Ljo Capitals start built yet the Sva Capitals don't. Also, as someone else stated earlier, the colour schemes seem odd. Seems unthematic that Arendel wouldn't have the Ljo default Green and likewise, Faeryl having the Sva default Grey, being the respective Queens of either side. [Purely cosmetic] Also, as Rivanna, I have Green Borders much like Amelanchier.
- As someone else stated earlier, Rivanna and Volanna only begin with one trait, and whilst that's somewhat counterbalanced by the GC and Hero Hunter, it seems fairer for them to start out with 2nd traits and no GC/hero Hunter to make things more even. Since (from what I've seen), the 4 full leaders each begin with their own special unit in place of the GC/Hero-Hunter, maybe each one could simply begin with both their own Hero-unit (or GC in Riv's case) and give the Minor Sva leaders 2nd traits.
- Based on the Ljo ending:
Spoiler :
In the main mod, Amelanchier and Thessa seem like they should be available to both Sva and Ljo. Admittedly, they're decieved into serving under Faeryl but nonetheless, they would serve under her - but this lies more in with a pet peeve of my mine in the main mod that the "Light" Elves have 3 leader choices and the "Dark" Elves only have 1 leader choice.

I've not seen the Sva ending, so I'm curious as to what that is and if it supports the idea of Amelanchier and Thessa working under Faeryl, decieved or not

- I never got the big deal about Faeryl, but the two Sva minor leaders are both... well as Falamar would say, "charming".

On Noble, this (too) scenario was pretty easy once I'd been firmly established. (I should probably notch up the difficulty a bit on these.) Playing as Thessa, I eliminated the Calabim with a quick Gilden-rush (having learnt from my first attempt, where they declared war on me in the midst of everything). After that, I took over the cities of the closest Svartalfar leader, and turned them over to my allies, leaving the AI to take care of the defense. This left me with a comfortable buffer zone, and I could concentrate on just building up an invincible army. The former Calabim cities, as well as new ones created with settlers from the immigrant events, gave me a rather strong infrastructure. I marched my mages forward and captured every remaining city with ease, once I'd accumulated about 20 of them.

My teammates built both of the Fellowship heroes, that was a bit annoying. -_- They also cast March of the Trees when I declared war on the Calabim, which was a bit pointless, since the vampires were nowhere near their borders.

I liked the idea of the day/night cycle, but I never noticed any real effect with it. It was as if it wasn't there.

With regard to the ending:

Spoiler :
I have to say, from what I glimpsed of the discussion before finishing the scenario (without reading the spoiler tags), I expected something much worse. :)

I disagree with the people saying that the ending made your victory a complete loss. The outcome was still a major victory for the elven people - the previously divided two kingdoms were united back into one. Things could have been much worse: in plenty of fantasy settings, races that have split into two groups because of similar reasons never reunite, and stay in a bitter war for eternity, neither side ever gaining an upper hand. When a player defeats the Svartalfar, (s)he prevents all of that. The Ljosalfar and the Svartalfar are unified and reintegrated into a healthy whole, one that will probably go stronger from the experience.

Yes, the Faeryl did end up replacing Arendel. But then, if Arendel had the opportunity to choose between this outcome and one where the race remained split forever, don't you think she would have - should have - chosen this outcome?

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. :)

To add to what Xuenay posted in his spoiler tags, Faeryl is hotter too, so it is a win-win imo. ;)

got a strange event: "Parith the elven" as Rivanna
Parith wants to go out of umbrawood to search some new allies
I said to him:"good luck".
some games later, in a custom play game, as Flauros of the Calabims, Parith come back: he says he's looking for allies, and one of the choices was to give him one of my vampires(the most exp...).
Chains events interracting between different games?
Bug?

Does anyone else see that event or am I the only one?

I got the event to send someone to look for allies, but I never heard back from that slacker.

Kael mentioned in a post on the forum, that if you start another game withought having completed splintered court, the guy will appear asking for your best unit. If you give it to him and the start splintered court again, he will come back with that unit. Give it a try.

EDIT: The guy will come even if you have completed splintered court, but, obviously, you will not get that unit you give, if you give it.

I'd like it if the entrance of each hero came with a pop-up, similarly with when you meet duin. In general more story elements would make this more interesting. but I'm still enjoying it as the svartalfar.

minor cosmetic issue--the svart champion has a square icon when everyone else has a more rounded one.

edit: also, slight typo in the ljusalfar victory text (which i read just for fun) in the last line. should be a comma before the final phrase.

BTW, why one of the Grigori adventures in the main game is named Volanna? Is it considence or what?

When Kael made the minor leaders he took some of their names from Great People.

Tch, talk about a lack of creativity. :p

Map-related nitpick, probably mentioned before:

A couple of deer resources scattered throughout the forests would be a good idea, for those of us who feel like building Fyrdwells.

Top Bottom