The Swimmers Thread

I used to swim the 100 Meter Backstroke in high school.
Then I lost my swim trunks at a championship meet.

That was enough for me to quit the sport.

Question:

How do you guys do that underwater flip at the end of the lane to change direction?

A flip turn is really easy to do. Here are a few simple steps for doing the turn:

STEP 1: Approach the wall of the pool swimming freestyle. Begin your turn just short of a body length away from the wall.

STEP 2: Tuck your chin to your chest and roll your body into a ball, so that you start to do a forward flip in the water. Blow air out of your nose to avoid inhaling water.

STEP 3: Open your body halfway through your flip and extend your legs to push off against the wall.

STEP 4: Push off the wall in the opposite direction from the one in which you were swimming. You should still be on your back at this point.

STEP 5: Streamline your entire body and roll back over onto your belly as you glide. Your shoulders should be up against your ears and your fingers should be pointed. Begin kicking immediately.

STEP 6: Begin stroking with your arms as soon as your body breaks the surface of the water.

There are a lot of ways you can practice a flip turn as well. Start by doing flips in the middle of the pool. Don't worry about exiting the "ball" position.

Once you've got the hang of that, start to open up the ball. You should almost be sitting, legs bent to about 90 degrees. Keep practicing.

Ready for the wall? This time stand in front of the wall, then flip. Don't push off the wall. Simply stop your flip once your feet touch the wall. Repeat until you feel well acquainted with where the wall is and where you should be once you begin your flip.

Now that you have gotten a feel for using the wall, stand a couple feet back, and then jump into your turn, pushing off on your back. Remember your technique!

After practicing that for a while, start to swim into the wall. Don't breath for two strokes into and out of the wall. Also, make sure you are pushing off on your back. Don't twist around on the wall. Believe me, it pays to develop good habits early on.

Well that's about it. A flip turn is very simple, it really just takes a ton of practice.

Steps from here.

But it takes years to perfect it :p .

So you guys shave your legs and chest and .... .?

Nope! Thank god for full body suits!

We don't do that for high school. I have no idea what the girls do, but the boys on my high school team don't shave.

Yeah I swim, have pretty good times, 3 junior olympic times (almost 4)
Times
50 free- :27.71
100 free- 59.70
200 free- 2:09.52
500 free- 6:13.02 (i didn't try on that one)
100 breast- 1:13.75 (jo)
200 breast- 2:37.95 (jo)
100 back- 1:09.97
200 back- 2:33.42
100 fly- 1:08.96
200 im- 2:24.47
400 im- 5:07.84 (jo)

This might help for flip turn :)

Flipturn

Forgot to ask...hey do you know where I can watch starts or day events from internet? Swimming seems to be enough un-popular sport in Finland so they don't air any kind of compilation after 11am :mad: When they air primary show, who the hell has to time to watch Tv at 11am. Un-employes maybe.

So far I've missed allmost all the events, except events on sunday. Pisssss me offf!!!! :mad: I love swimming and love to watch such great sport, it doesn't bother me that our swimmers doesn't happened to be in a good shape or good enough to challenge the best, I just want to see the game.

help me please :)

Man oh man do I suck at swimming.

I'm a dog paddle whore. Might want to learn, in case I wind up drunk at a party where the host has a pool...

Props to all you who can swim, I can't even float really.

I have the floating qualities of a brick. I like swimming and did manage to develop a decent crawl once upon a time though.

But my body is just so heavy I have no shot at becoming a decent swinner. If we could compete in sinking, then I'd have a shot... I made some preliminary diving tests once (dad was in the navy as a diving MD trained to assist the military guys in trouble down to 75 m), and it was concluded that I'm a natural sinker, as opposed to the majority who are natural floaters.
I.e. should I find myself disoriented in the dark depths, I should swim in the opposite direction to the one my body is inclined to go by itself.:)

lol, i see now how old my last time is :lol:

Its 31,something now...

And i have 1.11 on 100 :) i've spending more time at swimming now...

Top Bottom